What do you read when you're away?

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by girlfromtheecho, Jun 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I'm a reporter at the Liverpool Echo and I'm soon to be launching a blog about the work (and fun/charity stuff etc.) of the armed forces in Merseyside.

In the meantime, I've done a bit of quizzing of your counterparts in the RAF and Army to see what they read when they're away... and wanted to ask you guys the same thing?

You can see their responses and post your own at http://bit.ly/672i5.

So, what do you guys read?

2. Top Shelf Mags usually lol I kid you not. Most Matelots have a collection

3. Mostly Frankie Vaughan!!! And Daily Orders of course!

4. PM Red Sailor very well read ex submarineer, and a cracking good scouser Ps I usually read a good Factual navy book and Factual horseracing book ie HMS Leviathan and Seabiscuit

5. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

MEDTEM's, I f****** love 'em.

6. Everything from Frankie to Dickens, but mainly Frankie

7. Whilst onboard I would read works of both fiction and non-fiction.

My non-fiction choices were Frankie Vaughan & BRs, and my choices of fiction would be daily orders, shortcasts and the greatest work of fiction of all, the longcast.

8. I read "Falconhurst Fancy", ..........that was the Half cast 8O :oops: :D

9. I read mu Oppos leg after he had broken it............that was a plaster cast :p

10. Thats ok as long as you didn't do it in brail. :D

11. 8 Big fan of James Lee Burk, John Grisham, James Jones, Mark Billingham, Val McDermid; too many got three hours to spare?

12. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Read anything you can get your hands on. I don't enjoy reading my name on the back of the uckers board., timber shifting [email protected]!

Being a submariner the postman & mobile library don't really pay many visits. You read what you & your oppos take with you, which is pretty much what everyone else has said. I once started flicking through practicalcaravan in the mess, which some joker had brought onboard. I quickly slapped myself on the face and asked the mess if they wanted to watch VH1's 10 dirtiest videos AGAIN. Nobody said no.

13. Mainly I'm be reading ....books!

14. A bit of Erotica never goes amiss!

15. The Admiralty Manual of Navigation never fails to amuse.... er I mean inform.

:pissed: Rhum lines sound soooooo interesting until you discover they have nothing to do with alcohol. :sad2:

16. Everything and anything, usually over and over again too

17. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

BR 11 (Manual of Naval Law)

Or whatever I find left loafing on Messdeck Rounds, which I confiscate as "abandoned property"... :twisted:

18. Thought you'd be a BR1 man?

19. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

20. No, it just seems that of all the posts you somehow manage to find all the references first.