What do you miss being a matelot?

It was the nearest thing to a defaulters table that I could find.
Sometimes - you stood there and nice things happened...sometimes
it was the opposite. I would imagine that most of us have been
there for both.

B.N.M.
Defaulters on leaving Crete. I was 1/2 hour adrift under sailing orders and the gangway was about to be lifted as I came onto the jetty in the taxi. CO not a happy bunny. It cost me a days pay. However it did not wipe the smile off my face as she was worth it!!

Sumo

War Hero
there for both.

B.N.M.
most of mine were good, worst was a £125 fine but from jimmy so kept my hook.
I miss my monthly chats with the Captain.

@Ageing_Gracefully
the MAA also in short sleeves, defines officers from tge rest?

Sumo

War Hero
putting the world to rights, every morning before turn too, usually ends with nuclear deterrent being used.
bullshit and banter, satisfaction of a job well done.
jollies were a bonus, subbies made them even better

Last edited:
I take it he has not been a bad boy as he is still wearing his cap.

My question though is why do the officers have jackets on while Jolly Jack is in short sleeve order? Should all not be in the same order of dress?
That'll be a Requestman, Formally but politely seeking the Capting's permission:

'To proceed ashore in an orderly fashion' for the sole purpose of peacefully enlightening and picturising the PJs (or any other ignorant natives)" at whatever exotic location requires his immediate presence and reckless, but charitable, donations to the local economy.

Short sleeve order ?? WTF??
Half blues, sunshine, half blues.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

All present being in the appropriate "Rig of the day" as their chosen vocation and lawful occasion requires.

You may not have noticed but those distinctive (and reversible) White Fronts have very short sleeves - purposely designed for JJ to flex his muscular biceps without restriction whilst modestly revealing his gloriously tattooed, bronzee-bronzeed and salt-caked forearms.
Traditionally, the side effect is that of creating moisture at the nether regions of the opposite sex (All Ages).

In Catholic countries records indicate that this phenomena is responsible for the surge of Nuns queueing at Confessionals throughout their land.

Dusty70

War Hero
My oppos - sharing clothes and foo foo - going ashore in a big group and looking after each other - channel nights - how much beer and spirits I could have when I was rated up to PO.........................

Deck Hockey

Absolutely knowing that I was the best Jack Dusty with the best shipmates on the best ships in the best Navy in the world

Sumo

War Hero
My oppos - sharing clothes and foo foo - going ashore in a big group and looking after each other - channel nights - how much beer and spirits I could have when I was rated up to PO.........................

Deck Hockey

Absolutely knowing that I was the best Jack Dusty with the best shipmates on the best ships in the best Navy in the world
would that be HMS H Nettley?

The job satisfaction of "mending a wide variety of brokes (peeps & equipment)" alongside some of the craziest people only to be encountered wearing blue suits of all varieties.

BillyNoMates

War Hero
Sweating me balls off in the lower-lower-lower magazine on the BLAKE, yanking 6"
bullets off the conveyor belt. They were smothered in grease, oil and sometimes
blood and bits of human flesh (i.e. fingers or torn off finger nails). Once you got
into a rhythm it was easier and not many got dropped. Give me carrying bags
of spuds down a gangway at low tide any day.

Stirlin

War Hero
there for both.

B.N.M.
My warrant was read indoors with only the skipper , MAA and CMEM present , mebbee it was cos I was in civvies .:D

Knotty

Lantern Swinger
While serving at Commcen Whitehall specifically, lock-ins for the whole watch at 'The Silver Cross' & gate runs to Smithfield & Billingsgate markets where drinking would commence immediately upon finishing the 12 hour night watch at around 0700 and where we demonstrated to our Metropolitan Police Oppos what drinking was all about. We never lost in drinking games competition - happy days...

Dusty70

War Hero
I miss it all but happy with how my time after the mob turned out (standfast 3 wives and a partner 20 years younger than me - wanted kids and unfortunately ? a pussers vasectomy got in the way)

I enjoyed good ships as well

Puma (OK) cod war
Exmouth - Portland Squadron without the FOST nause
Plymouth - round the World Cruise 77 - best 9 months of my life
Rothesay - chips at Zavaroni's chip shop whilst 'perisher running' (swopped a few times to let sundodgers get a shower/dhobying etc)
Achilles - WI guardship twice
Argonaut - Typhoon hunting and sneaky beaky - few runs to States
Bulldog - Brilliant - different Navy - Bridge on auto pilot and no lookouts - laughingly classed us as a minesweeper, we were steel and towed our sonar - you couldn't make it up
SNONI - 2 tours - you can't imagine the hate overthere, was scared but excited - watching the pongos we were with, thick as they were, good laugh tho

Knotty

Lantern Swinger
Dusty70 - fancy joining the Plymouth Association? There are some great guys who served on her during the 70s?

Knotty

Lantern Swinger
Nope, got a good 100 members still, re-union 1st Saturday every October - last one was nice and messy and a few fellas off of the Fife joined us because their re-union same weekend was full would you believe it? Think it took place at Excellent or summat so they were limited to numbers..
If you are interested I can send you details?

Latest Threads