What do you drive?

Meh, you don't buy these for economy really. As you pointed out its more room for the growing sproglets. And of course with a decent used spot you take whatevers there at the right price, barring pus yellow.
Got a good deal through the motor arm of the company I work for. Only issue I have is the oil it is using, never put oil in the Civic (serviced every year), this Peugeot I putting a litre in every 2K. Peugeot reckon that's good and can be as low as 600 miles :(

this is what they said:

I've had a word with service and officially from Peugeot they can use 1 litre per 600 miles! However if you are concerned we will have the car back and do a consumption test on it, which involves topping the level off and then coming back here after 400 miles and checking the levels again.

Only issue I have is the oil it is using, never put oil in the Civic (serviced every year), this Peugeot I putting a litre in every 2K. Peugeot reckon that's good and can be as low as 600 miles :(
I wouldn't worry too much. All seems to hinge round the design of the PCV circuit and whether the crankcase is closed or open. EGR circuit and charcoal canister and all that stuff is always a bit of a mystery.
The XU and TU engines (205/405/306 era) loved a drop of oil, never had PCV issues either. Not sure how that affects emissions tailpipe wise, or catalyst life. The Japanese engines seem to rely on the seals, when the front main or spark plug seals go from excessive pressure or blowback, Ive seen worn rings, oil in the cylinders main bearing failure etc etc. but that tends to be at the 200k point and up. I think it also might have had something to do with the poor lubricity of post TEL fuel, remember the snapped cams and bent valves when Shell superU turned out to not be so super?
I guess I'm surprised these days when an engine uses oil but a litre of Mobil 1 is cheaper than piston rings.

Sold my Yamaha 600 road bike just after Xmas as the missus was unhappy about me riding it after my recent heart attack.I am now the proud owner of a Fantic 303 trials bike. Me and my oppo travelled down to Devon yesterday to collect it, so if you were going north on the M5 around lunchtime and spotted a silver Astra towing a trailer with a bike in it, Howdy Folks! New bike is now keeping the infamous XR400 company.

Focus is going into the shop for a once over next Wednesday. Been offered a C-MAX as a
courtesy car for a few days. Wife went "Oooooh! That's nice!" I've got an 'orrible
feeling I may be about to do a one-for-one.

Latest Threads