Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

What do you do with the drunken sailor?

However, I was incredulous at the state of the junior rates' accommodation which was included in our tour. The staircases and corridors were positively crabby and would never have passed muster in my day. My understanding is, (although I could be wrong!), that they have civvy cleaners. Whatever, the standards have slipped.

If you’re on about the ships company blocks next to the LH bar, I totally agree with you. I was put in one for a fortnight while on course, I refused to step foot in the “kitchenette” and spent 3 hours scrubbing out my room because it was so skanking. As for rounds, because of the civvy cleaner situation, we’d only be picked up for the state of our actual rooms, not the communal areas. But I suppose you get what you pay for- my Mrs is a cleaner in the dockyard in Pompey and complains to me about how they only do the bare minimum to get by when she wants to deep clean everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cleaning is down to how the MoD write the contracts, the companies just follow the contract. For accommodation the cleaners aren't allowed to use cleaning liquids so they're only allowed to dry wipe bulkheads. In Raleigh I know for a fact that ESS have had to lay off a significant amount of cleaners so they can still make money, consequently the remaining cleaners are spread thinly and don't have the time.

Not the cleaners fault, due to budgets and lack of money the MoD have scaled back the level of commitment, it sounds like I'm defending the civvy companies, I'm not, it's just the way it is.

Cleaning is down to how the MoD write the contracts, the companies just follow the contract. For accommodation the cleaners aren't allowed to use cleaning liquids so they're only allowed to dry wipe bulkheads. In Raleigh I know for a fact that ESS have had to lay off a significant amount of cleaners so they can still make money, consequently the remaining cleaners are spread thinly and don't have the time.

Not the cleaners fault, due to budgets and lack of money the MoD have scaled back the level of commitment, it sounds like I'm defending the civvy companies, I'm not, it's just the way it is.
Perhaps it is time to re-evaluate training to include one hour a day cleaning instruction.
After all they aint gonna get a cleaner at sea

Perhaps it is time to re-evaluate training to include one hour a day cleaning instruction.
After all they aint gonna get a cleaner at sea
That has been mentioned, when I was an instructor there cleaners did the Phase 1 heads and bathrooms, which really surprised em. Phase 1's do it themselves now.

Problem is they’re not all trainees, some are instructors or worse, RFA (who don’t do military stuff don’t you know!) and a lot will probably kick off about it eating into their own time if they’re not duty and it’s a nightly thing. The RN (along with the other services) struggles to retain as it is and is trying to make military life more comparative with civvy life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest Threads