What do serving ratings think about 22 year REME (Army) joining on a direct scheme as PO's

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Hooly, Sep 13, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm ex REME been out a couple of years and seen the direct entrance advertised
  2. Why not?

Are you eligible by age though?
  3. Yes spoke to WO1 Steve Barr, Navy recruiting, on the phone. I am 44 and I can serve till 60
  4. if you're eligable, and fancy it. Then why not?
  5. Cheers lads thought there would be a bit of resentment
  6. Nah, we'll just wait till you've signed up...then we'll rip the piss out of you.. Normal SOP mate.
    • Funny Funny x 3
  7. I wouldn't expect anything less. I'd probably nick named pongo for the duration haha
    • Like Like x 1
  8. It'll be a lot easier for you initially with 22 years of military experience behind you. As for resentment, if there is any towards the DEPOTs- which I doubt there will be- there would be much less towards you, as you've got 22 years of service behind you.
  9. DEPOTs? I'm going to have to find a Navy slang translator. I know stand easy is naffi break
  10. I thought the ex Pongo was joining up as a DESPOT, now that WOULD be interesting!!
  11. Direct Entry Petty Officer Technician
  12. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Ships' engines are bigger than those in a humpity bumpity army truck. You'll need a hand to lift some bits.

The nickname will be Perc or Percy. Subordinates should call you PO or Petty Officer.

Just don't expect to get away with Army levels of personal hygiene. Where Percy goes, the pong goes.
  13. That's what they are offering just didn't connect the dots. I now know what DEPOTS are, thank
  14. I promise to wash at least once a week and get in the gym so I can lift the heavy lumps
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

16. I hope you're not hoping to be a submariner needing to wash that often.
  17. Just don't stamp your feet and shout "Sah" every time a grunter says something.

Wakes up the watchkeepers, bad form dontcha know! ;)
  18. I promise not to salute the wrong way and stomp my feet
  19. The RN form of drill is more Corporal Jones than the Brigade of Guards :)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Doesnt bother me, just leave that Army mentality at the main gate :)