Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

What do people do with Leave?

Surely you get runs ashore with the RFA ?

Yeah, but you can only run so far!

Normally people stick to the area within an hour or so of the port. Which on a Caribbean Island means you have seen the lot, however if you are talking about the US it means you have barely left the dockyard gates and there is a lot more country to see!

Hello, I'm just curious, what do current RFA do with their 2/3 months of leave?

Generally wish for more :-D- its suprising how quickly the phonecall comes around asking you to join ship again!

Personally, catch up with the wife's job list, see familly and friends, going travelling properly (no point flying 26hrs to NZ just for a week, might as well go explore for a month or two).

Yeah, but you can only run so far!

Normally people stick to the area within an hour or so of the port. Which on a Caribbean Island means you have seen the lot, however if you are talking about the US it means you have barely left the dockyard gates and there is a lot more country to see!
ah , fair enough i get your drift.

Best experience I enjoyed during leave was in Singers in '69, when we had 14 days "station leave". Three oppo's and I took 2 two-man canoes up the Jahore river from Singapore to Kota Tinggi (sp??), hacking out space in undergrowth and camping out overnight on the river bank. Until you've tried sleeping in the Malaysian jungle, with all the associated wildlife when you not sure what's making all those strange noises, you haven't lived! Fortunately "Pusser" sent a lorry to pick us up from Kota Tinngi and returned us to civilisation.
I have to say that the Malaysian people we encountered in the tiny kampongs along our route were wonderful, and we were welcomed with open arms - a kindness I'll never forget.

Best experience I enjoyed during leave was in Singers in '69, when we had 14 days "station leave". Three oppo's and I took 2 two-man canoes up the Jahore river from Singapore to Kota Tinggi (sp??), hacking out space in undergrowth and camping out overnight on the river bank. Until you've tried sleeping in the Malaysian jungle, with all the associated wildlife when you not sure what's making all those strange noises, you haven't lived! Fortunately "Pusser" sent a lorry to pick us up from Kota Tinngi and returned us to civilisation.
I have to say that the Malaysian people we encountered in the tiny kampongs along our route were wonderful, and we were welcomed with open arms - a kindness I'll never forget.

Could not have put it better myself sv , KT is a wonder never to be forgotten.

Can you work during your leave?

Yes, officially you have to ask permission (so as to allow the RFA to say no if there is a conflict of interest). However few actually ask, which means the RFA can discipline you if they find out and don't like it.

Anyway back to the point, lots of people work in their leave.

Thanks for the reply, that’s good news as I will be at home and kids will be at school so need something to do for 3 months.

Was just thinking I’d join a temp agency so can work when I want. Think the DIY is better left to my husband Lol and we don’t have family near by to visit. Probably won’t end up working was more wondering could I if I wanted to just to fill some hours during the day.

Was just thinking I’d join a temp agency so can work when I want. Think the DIY is better left to my husband Lol and we don’t have family near by to visit. Probably won’t end up working was more wondering could I if I wanted to just to fill some hours during the day.
Standby for sexist opinion. That big pile of ironing isn't going to do itself ;)

Already offered my eldest extra pocket money to make sure the little ones stuff is ironed as dad is not a believer of ironing stuff .... forward planning at its best lol

It’s a great job if you have no ties, the possibilities are endless with 3 months leave. Would love to spend the 3 months travelling but apparently if I work 4 months and travel for 3 it’d be classified as “abandonment” kids ruin everything!

How about that if you are just bored and don't need the money, do some voluntary charity work?

My shed needs a clear out and I don't trust the wife........ ;)

Seriously though, its an idea if you are that way inclined. Charity work - not the shed.

Latest Threads