Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What courses are available as a CIS?

Seriously considering joining the RN as a CIS and as someone who refuses to sit around idly, I am curious as to what courses will help my future career within that role "IF I AM DEEMED SUITABLE".

I already have a broad knowledge of IT and have attained a BTEC level 2 in computer engineering, level 3 in web foundations and a Diploma level 4 in web design. As a CIS I am assuming that I should be directing my academic studies more towards computer repair and upgrade, networking and security.

What sort of direction is available within the department, the information on the RN website is very vague.

fishhead

War Hero
Seriously considering joining the RN as a CIS and as someone who refuses to sit around idly, I am curious as to what courses will help my future career within that role "IF I AM DEEMED SUITABLE".

I already have a broad knowledge of IT and have attained a BTEC level 2 in computer engineering, level 3 in web foundations and a Diploma level 4 in web design. As a CIS I am assuming that I should be directing my academic studies more towards computer repair and upgrade, networking and security.

What sort of direction is available within the department, the information on the RN website is very vague.
"Vague" is pretty much all you are going to get on an open forum such as this because of the nature of the work.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H MCA approved STCW95 & SSO courses available in November!! Best prices on the market!! International 0
BillyNoMates Extremely useful courses now available. Diamond Lil's 3
MoD_RSS Extra university places for vital courses announced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Applicants to nursing courses in England up 16% as NHS employs record number of nurses and midwives MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Call for bids in Kazakhstan: e-learning courses MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 2,500 new places on artificial intelligence and data science conversion courses now open to applicants MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Plans to remove funding for courses with low student numbers MoD News 0
A Officer Courses/Visits? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
C Training and courses - restricted by branch? RFA 2
TheLegend27 CCF cadet doing SCC courses SCC and URNU 2
dsgrnmcm DLE Project Management courses The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
photface Courses Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
P Can RNR access the Forces University Short Courses system? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 7
S MSO, MSO(F) & FPOSI Courses The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
J Has no one ever written a book/run private training courses on BRNC/Raleigh? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
SphynxPawww Acquaintance Courses Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
M WS courses all booked up? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
Chris1337 SS training courses at HMS Collingswood? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 33
BFRS Latest Courses on BFRS The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
N Microsoft/Cisco courses. The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
ForcesJobShop Training Opportunity: Diving Courses - PADI The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
3yearstilltx Day release for resettlement courses The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 3
The_Frank Driving Courses Motoring 11
S Acquaint courses Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
S Acquaint courses The Fleet 0
digger84 Sailing Courses, AT Sports and Adventure Training 4
Joint_Force_Harrier Courses for retiring Wafu's The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 5
A Fibre and Copper cabling courses The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 4
H Courses Lasting More Than Two Weeks. Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 53
Jimpy frequency of courses Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 47
soleil HMS Sultan: Engineering Courses praised by professional body Bases / Shore Est 2
Greenymech courses at HMS Excellent SCC and URNU 6
U No more unit 1st Aid courses? Rumour peddled (by me) as fact Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 10
trehorn RNR on RN courses. Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 33
G AWFP Training: How many courses - when are they? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 14
D Security Courses The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 6
2 Courses for BBC cheats Current Affairs 7
M Getting Sharfted by so called courses prior to leaving. The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 25
P Courses I have enjoyed Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 30
R RE: CCF Royal Marine Amphibious Courses? The Corps 0
SpliceTheMainbrace GSSR courses MERWEX Alpha Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
MoD_RSS Millions of extra flu jabs available to support largest UK vaccination programme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £25 million available to help farmers boost productivity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: revised expert witness guidance available MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New parents urged to have their say on available early years support via new online questionnaire MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Homeowners to see savings available under new Green Homes Grant scheme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Portal enhancement View My Applications now available to all users MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: New contract schedules available MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK aid funding available for innovative energy projects MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Up to £75,000 available for UK space technology projects MoD News 0