What car?

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by wet_blobby, Jan 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Right, I haven't driven a car for probably 10 years or so now, I'm more of a van man. I'm going to swap in my transit (low mileage 79k, 54 plate) for a car as my needs have changed and the Blobbettes are moaning about one of them always having to sit in the back... :dwarf:

Anyone out there able to recommend a decent ford motor, will need to be good an MPG, not bothered about style or street cred and must be able to fit 4 people a dog and the weekly shopping.

2. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

No such thing! ;)

If you're not a badge snob, why not go for a Skoda Octavia estate?-huge boot, built to last and will easily fit 4 people, a dog and any weekly shopping that the dog hasn't managed to scoff on the way back from the shops.
  3. I've got a 1.9 TDi Galaxy - great car - loads of space, average 40 MPG and on a run that goes up to about 45mpg on motorways at 70-80mph. Not too expensive to run or service either. Tyres are about £90 each though as you need Heavy Duty ones.

Very versatile as seats go in and out and change them all about as required - take them all out of the back and you can buy as much as you like from Ikea and not worry too much about getting it all home.

Only put as many in as you need and you can separate the kids up in order to avoid all the squabbling.

THE DOWN SIDE - you can never tell mother-in-law you haven't got enough room to take her !!

I'm on my second one and love it - get a Ghia with all the toys.

If you're going to get a brand new one Ford now make their own, as opposed to the tri-partite arrangement with VW Sharan and Seat Alhambra (as I have) so couldn't speak for the new one.
  4. wet_blobby

I helped launch the Skoda Octavia when it came out, we'd take one of the rally versions around to motor shows, forecourts etc, fcuking good car. Superb for the money.

The reason I've said Ford is I bought the Transit outright from my local dealer, so have a half cocked idea about bimbling up and exchanging it for a second hand car with no money changing hands.
  5. Stuff the car--- get one of these.................

6. wet_blobby

MMM, Galaxy, sounds good. The company had an espace for a while, automatic, good to drive but forever going wrong.
  7. wet_blobby

Don't drive things without ashtrays (not that I use them, that's what windows where invented for) so bikes and horses are a no no.
  8. Blobbs,

4up, plus dog, Ford man, I would think a Mondeo fits the bill. Could consider either Focus estate or C-max (mini MPV thingy), or S-Max (same as a Mazda-5) but there are stacks of Mondeo to choose from thanks to the fleet market. New model out means the last gen are even cheaper. Dont know how good on gas it has to be, the 1.8 is a leedle bit slow. The diesels are stronger, cruise well but are sought after and tend to hold their money a bit longer.
    Have a gander at autotrader.co.uk

2003 03 Reg FORD Mondeo 2.0 Zetec (trade) £3,399

5 Doors, Manual, Hatchback, Petrol, 80,000 miles, Metallic SILVER. Air conditioning, Power assisted steering, Radio/CD, ABS, Alloy wheels, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Foglights, Front armrest,

More room for the pooch?

2004 FORD MONDEO 2.0TD Ghia 5dr Diesel Estate (private) £3,850
    Manual, 71,000 miles, 3x3 point rear seat belts, ABS, Air conditioning, Alarm, Alloy wheels, Audio remote control.Maroon c/l e/m p/s e/w good condition mot and taxed.

Personally I would go for something like this, I like the extra welly of the 2.5, its pretty good on gas when you don't have your foot in it.
    2003 03 Reg FORD Mondeo 2.5 Zetec S (trade) £4,750
    5 Doors, Automatic, Estate, Petrol, 23,500 miles, Metallic Blue, MOT-12-2008, 2 Owners. ABS, Adjustable seats, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Air conditioning, Alloy wheels, Driver airbag

Of course if you can bear it, the Mazdas are bascially the same cars, eg Mazda 6 = Mondeo, Mazda 3 = Focus.
  9. wet_blobby

Cheers for the info S-C and everyone else. I know what low mileage is for a van or truck but what about a car? are they good for 150k, 250k or is it more like 500k now?
  10. Meh, used to be average miles was 12k p.a., these days look at around 10k p.a., course it depends if you're buying or selling...

As far as I remember, Zetec/Duratec engines 2.0 and below have a timing belt lifed at 80k, budget a few hundred for a dealer to do it (have heard as much as £700 for 93-00 old mondeos with engine mount thing left them with pull to one side if not done right), less for an independent (have heard £180 out the door for an 04 Mondeo 2.0) 2.5 6cyls have a timing chain and so technically have a much longer life, but sometimes need tensioners or guides replacing at 150k, heavily dependent on oil spec (i.e. stick to fully synth). Dont ignore it and let a timing belt go as it will destroy the top end and cost far more to fix, valves and guides damage, poss piston damage, snapped cam etc.

As these cars have plenty of spares they'll go as long as you want them to, I knew an ex CWEM cabbie in Gosport who had a Sierra with 800k on it, did oil almost weekly (3-5k with airport runs), brakes about monthly, but same engine, and most ancillaries bar alternator, water pump etc. Beware cars with too low mileages like under 5k p.a. (such as drive only 5 miles to work and back) as these tend to have rotted cats, warped discs, premature piston bore wear, knackered starters, batteries, fouled plugs.
  11. My old Passat 1.9 TDi (same VW engine as my Galaxy) had 150K when I sold it two years ago and I still see it driving around now.

With regards to the Mondeo, a mate of mine had an Espace (which also kept going wrong and was bloody expensive) and chopped it in for a Diesel Mondeo Estate - he loves it.
  12. Skoda Octavia estates good , VW running gear The fire breathing diesel VRS or a tamer one. the Police use em for training and as "Q" cars in my area, sneaky barstewards, and the recon they handle better than BMW`s loaded.