What can I expect phase 2 AET

Maxpowers

Lantern Swinger
End of my second week and qs qm as I understand is done at squadron during phase 2b qm then qs, really enjoying sultan and learning my job p.s waspie a certain small blue jobby is buzzing outside the hangar

Waspie

War Hero
@Maxpowers - Re QM/QS done at squadron level. That was always the case way back in the dark ages!! Cabs are a tad more upmarket these days.
First A/C I qualified on was the Westland Whirlwind Mk 7. The engine was a radial, Leonides 16 cylinder, 2 magneto's. 2 spark plugs per cylinder. You had to cycle the engine 2.5 revolutions which meant cranking a starting handle type thingumy some 100+ times to ensure there was no hydraulicing which would cause the engine to not start.
Strange the crap one retains after all these years!!!
Enjoy Sultan, training will soon be over and you'll be in the real Wafu world soon enough!!

Maxpowers

Lantern Swinger
Yeah no radials in sight now although what we are learning on is old compared to the kit in service, saying that Im glad that I am learning on some of the more analogue systems

Waspie

War Hero
Is there any bias in the training package towards either fixed-wing or rotary? Or, is it pretty much equal!
I remember all my basic aircraft engineering was all fixed-wing - no rotary at all. What did the navy do?
Yup, sent me to a helicopter squadron!!! Ya had to laugh.

slim

War Hero
I was talking to the parents of a serving LEAT this week.
They were saying that matelots were no longer being awarded Civilian qualifications as so many were obtaining them and then slapping in their notice to get better jobs outside.
I fail to see the RN doing this as it used to be part of their advertising to get people to join.
Can anyone confirm any truth in this or have the parnts picked up misinformation?

WreckerL

War Hero
I was talking to the parents of a serving LEAT this week.
They were saying that matelots were no longer being awarded Civilian qualifications as so many were obtaining them and then slapping in their notice to get better jobs outside.
I fail to see the RN doing this as it used to be part of their advertising to get people to join.
Can anyone confirm any truth in this or have the parnts picked up misinformation?
Sounds like misinformation, pusser has got a lot better at getting courses civvy accredited these days. Maybe it's sour grapes because the killick didn't get an accreditation he thought he deserved?

slim

War Hero
Sounds like misinformation, pusser has got a lot better at getting courses civvy accredited these days. Maybe it's sour grapes because the killick didn't get an accreditation he thought he deserved?
I thought it sounded suspect.
I have always advised anyone joining the RN that the day they join is the day to start their plan for leaving. To use the education system to its fullest extent and start majing yourself attractive to civilian employers.
The RN has change a lot since my day but these basics still apply.

Waspie

War Hero
We were accredited with the BTEC qualification for grubbing in my day. (70's to '90s) That said when I spoke to a prospective employer in the aviation engineering field and mentioned my BTEC he said it had no standing and wouldn't compel him to employ anyone!
Today speaking to my nephew who's recently left the mob, time done, he took with him a suitable employment portfolio and did walk into an engineering job so it looks like things have improved.
As an aside. When I contacted City and Guilds regards quals obtained in the mob I was told they were a military qualification that meant a standard had been attained but was not recognised outside the military. I had to complete recognised training courses which I was informed by the airlines themselves they looked for when recruiting.
Moral. Do your own homework. Don't listen to mates, parents and those NOT in the know!!!!
The best thing is to check with industry and the institutions awarding the qualifications to check their validity.

slim

War Hero
My ONC was completed on day release at a civie college.
I believe anothe Wafu on this site JFH also did this.
I was extremelly fortunate by being in the right place at the right time where we had a Sqdn Ldr who believed in education.
As a B13 rating I never realised that day release was an option, RN schoolies never broadcast the fact.

Sumo

War Hero
My ONC was completed on day release at a civie college.
I believe anothe Wafu on this site JFH also did this.
I was extremelly fortunate by being in the right place at the right time where we had a Sqdn Ldr who believed in education.
As a B13 rating I never realised that day release was an option, RN schoolies never broadcast the fact.
Do you still get day release :D ;)

WreckerL

War Hero
I got an OND in general engineering after Mechs course (and a C&G in Fitting and Turning ;) ), when I signed up for my HNC in Electrical/Electronic Engineering the civvy tutors looked at the OND and said it should have been an HND and were amazed pusser hadn't had it assessed as such by BTEC.

CPO(ET)'s (todays Mechs/Tiffs) get a foundation degree when they get their buttons.

slim

War Hero
I got an OND in general engineering after Mechs course (and a C&G in Fitting and Turning ;) ), when I signed up for my HNC in Electrical/Electronic Engineering the civvy tutors looked at the OND and said it should have been an HND and were amazed pusser hadn't had it assessed as such by BTEC.

CPO(ET)'s (todays Mechs/Tiffs) get a foundation degree when they get their buttons.
I thought that was the case Wrecker, but as a PSOF who has been out of the loop long time I was not qualified to comment.
I do remember seeing that CPO technicians were awarded a foundation degree.
In my day Tiffs and mechs could sit for ONC alongside their navy courses but had to take a seperate exam to get it.
I remember when at Lossiemouth Tiffs getting day release to attend Inverness college to aquire their HNCs.
Seems that the modern RN has got education right

Waspie

War Hero
The onus with education is the individual asking the right pertinent questions. I think in my day we/me were/was quite naive to education both school and professional qualifications. I was aware of Tiffs and Mechs that went down the ONC/HNC route but again in my naivety I thought it was only available to the Tiffs and Mechs. We B13's were meant to be thick!!!
The BTEC qualification I was awarded was lip service to courses before mine complaining about no civvy recognition.