What can I expect day to day?

CM264

Midshipman
To add to this, what is the day to day life like if you get a UK based deployment what is the day to day life?
Just whatever the you are expected to do in the course of your chosen trade, Crews need fed, officers need pillows fluffed, Comms will be doing comms stuff, SG1's/deck their work and those in the know as little as possible and if along side the Green shutters or the Anorak club dependig where the ship is, crew bar out at sea.

Klanky67

Lantern Swinger
Ok so basically there are two types working days whilst on board.
1. Alongside in a harbour/fuel jetty and on the buoy(normally Plymouth) is a harbour routine then there’s
2. sea watches whilst - you guessed it, at sea!
With 1. we are currently in dispute (over pay) therefore working to rule. Start and finish time’s are as per the stated routines. Start work 8am finish 17:45, with 2 half hour breaks and an hour lunch break.
Work can range from maintenance of upper deck fixtures and fittings - greasing vent flaps, door clips, roller fairleads, etc, basically ensuring that anything that should move will move.
Painting and cleaning - ships side, decks, bulkheads, etc.
Fuel rig maintenance- these require a lot of preventative maintenance and involve a number of people due to the size and weight of the equipment involved 7” x 30’ hoses are pretty heavy with 12 joined together.
Fire equipment maintenance- Breathing Apparatus testing, hose testing, nozzle operation, etc.
Ropework, rescue boat maintenance, lifeboat launching, etc.
Flight deck and hangar maintenance.
Safety equipment testing & maintenance- life jackets, once only suits, liferafts, harnesses, etc.
Tank cleaning, store ship, (using the ships crane to load stores).
This is a flavour of some of the stuff we would do. There’s plenty more.

If you’re Duty watch for that day, then there’ll be two of you doing the gangway security with the other doing rounds of the ship and basically on call on a radio for anything the the Duty Officer wants you to do. Your day starts at 07:00 taking over from the nightwatch man, finishing at 19:00 when the nightwatch man comes back on.
If you’re nightwatch man then you’ll do 5 nights of gangway and rounds, trying to sleep in the day!!!!!
Under normal work routines eg no dispute, we’d work until about 16:45 but be available for anything outside the set hours as described above. At present we will do nothing during our breaks, before 8 or after knock off in the evening.
Sea Watches is more or less the same as above but 6 people will be on watch on the bridge. There’s 3 watches - 8-12, 12-4 & 4-8. You will he given one of these watches and that’s your routine whilst at sea. On for 4 hours off for 8. You will be on the bridge with another AB and an Officer Of the Watch - OOW. Steering the ship or on lookout.
if you’re off watch and at sea you are liable to be called upon to assist in any RAS’s but that’s normally it.
As for where you go whilst on a coastal trip, it’s normally Portland, Plymouth, Falmouth, Garelochead -West Coast Scotland (fuelling at Loch Striven) or Crombie - East coast Scotland.
If you’re really lucky you may go to Birkenhead for maintenance!!!!

D

Deleted 71581

What's the day to day like during the 10 weeks training eg routine, fitness, classroom work, practical hands on work and inspections etc .

Last edited by a moderator:

Klanky67

Lantern Swinger
First week is an introduction to the RFA, it’s role, the ships, expectations, drug & alcohol policy, admin, kit issue etc.
Next three weeks is functional skills with a civvie instructor - basic maths, English & ICT.
Then it’s a balanced mix of practical and theory work for the next 6 weeks with two formal exams. The syllabus is the Efficient Deckhand (EDH) qualification. Google it or look at Warsash/Fleetwood maritime college to see what’s covered.
There is no fitness sessions although there is very good facilities at Raleigh including a pool you can use free of charge.
You get every weekend off starting at about midday Friday to Monday 8am.
It’s a lot more relaxed than it is for the baby matelots running and marching everywhere.
Enjoy

anotherandrew

Midshipman
Exactly as @Klanky67 says, although it's now an 11 week course.

Currently on Week 6 and now that Functional Skills is out of the way it's full seamanship until the end. After the first induction week, Week 2 is an introduction to Seamanship which included knots, flags, distress signals, maritime security and ship markings and construction. Functional Skills was Weeks 3 - 5.

Klanky67

Lantern Swinger

Currently on Week 6 and now that Functional Skills is out of the way it's full seamanship until the end. After the first induction week, Week 2 is an introduction to Seamanship which included knots, flags, distress signals, maritime security and ship markings and construction. Functional Skills was Weeks 3 - 5.
Weren’t like that back in my day!!!!!

D

Deleted 71581

Can anyone please give me some more information about going to the interview in HMNB Portsmouth for the RFA

D

Deleted 71581

Just basic recruitment stuff and rehabilitation form and travel expenses

Klanky67

Lantern Swinger
Don’t know what you mean by recruitment or rehabilitation stuff? Expenses will be reimbursed afterwards when you submit the form that was sent with your pack.

D

Deleted 71581

Whats the interview like and what's are the questions they'll ask me

CM264

Midshipman
Whats the interview like and what's are the questions they'll ask me
Like any other organistaion they expect you to research who they are and what they do, Ship classes and their roles etc and why do you want the job and what can you add to the role. Most info available here via the search function.

Canoe

Badgeman

I think week two being an introduction to seamanship is much better than going straight into functional skills.

Most of my course was exempt from at least one of the functional skills, a couple from all of it. Having some flags and some knots to revise would have been a much more productive use of time than banging out a Powerpoint in five minutes and then looking up random crap on Wikipedia for the rest of the week! :D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Passed medical, what is next and how long should I expect before intake? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
K What to expect from the RFA? RFA 8
MoD_RSS Fiona Dickie tells tenants what to expect when they request MRO MoD News 0
A Filter Interview coming up... What to expect? Joining the Royal Navy 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Video released to help victims understand what to expect during the parole process MoD News 0
Maxpowers How long after PJFT can I expect an entry date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 45
N What to expect from POV visit? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
C [ UGAS MESM] Eligibility Call tomorrow, what can I expect? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
L.L1878 PRNC MOD CALEDONIA May 2018. What to expect Joining the Royal Navy 18
Bad CO Upgrade Beginning - Expect Disruption! Site Issues 5
R How long should I expect to wait for my start date? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
Subadubdub PRNC & what to expect. Joining the Royal Navy 39
W What to expect from the interview? RFA 24
N What am i to expect as an engineer apprentice. RFA 50
TairyHesticles AET - what to expect? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
M Cold calling on the Recruitment Office. What can you expect. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
K Medical, what should I expect? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
Y RNP Aquaint - What to expect? Bases / Shore Est 23
dirtyweeally Initial Careers Presentation, what to expect? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
Stirling Ladies We Admire: expect robust mod action The Quarterdeck 153
fails_as_is I expect this will go down like a cup of cold sick... Current Affairs 32
M Air observer officer- what should i expect? The Fleet Air Arm 36
B What would you expect? Health & Fitness 6
Jammydodger URNU Medical, what to expect? Health & Fitness 3
A PRNC and what to expect. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Rumrat What does England expect from the commonwealth Games? Diamond Lil's 16
Passed-over_Loggie Should a Pal Expect Unlimited Help? Health & Fitness 17
P hair cuts and what to expect? The Gash Barge 25
K FFS, you expect it from the civvie press but the MOD website Current Affairs 24
T What to expect to witness at sea....... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
T tips on what to expect Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
N Drafted on to Ship. What can I expect? The Corps 32
creddly Wow, didn't expect there to be a gaming board on here. Gaming 32
U AIB cancelations - How long do they expect people to wait? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 1
M First 48 hours at BRNC, what to expect? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29