Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

What Cadet Unit Were You In?

What Cadet Unit Were You In?

• Total voters
pegleg said:
TS Windsor Castle (the very frist SCC unit), started off as SCC, reached AB then went over to the MCD, reached Cadet Sgt and joined the army, nearly 17 years later, still serving and loving it.
:dontknow:

To my knowledge the SCC traces its roots back to the Naval Lads Brigades & the first unit was started in Whitstable, Kent.

When there were shed loads of units they renumbered them starting alphabetically (Aberdeen, etc.) & added other units to the end of the list as they were founded.

From the MOD Web, looks pretty self expanatory to me:

The Sea Cadet Corps has its roots in the 1850’s when a number of orphanages were established to look after children orphaned after the Crimean War and were run with the help of sailors returning from the Crimea. An organisation was then established called the ‘Naval Lads’ Brigades’. In 1899 HM Queen Victoria graciously presented a £10 note to the Windsor Unit for the purchase of uniforms. From 1999, the anniversary of this event, 25 June, has been declared the Birthday of the Sea Cadets.

Not in my unit, but can anyone remember an instructor called Lt Shergold from TS Itchen (Winchrester) I think in the early 80's.

Used to come out with sayings like "if you want to get fat, get your nutty from the automat" and "Izzy Whizzy, let's get busy"

Nothing to do with the SCC, or the Navy when I was a lad. I was in the ATC - 2120 Sqdn in Witney in Oxfordshire, 1972 - 1975. We met on Sunday mornings and Wednesday nights. About 25-30 of us in the unit. It was a good laugh (usually) and made a refreshing change from just dossing about.

I was all set to join the RAF. Then at the last moment I walked into the Navy careers office instead of the Air Force's. So with about 10 minutes thought I joined the Navy. I remained in service for 23 years!

Dick Barton the scurge of all Sea Cadets done my Chuffs and Puffs with him in 1989, and was there to see him go. one memory he would not tell anyone off untill he had his Cup of Tea

sidon55 said:
Quite agree,FS. wprst thing I did when I went to Ganges was mention I was in the Sea Scouts and Cadets. "We only want half-wits here and we'll soon knock that bit out of you as well". Instructors were all bleedin comedians there. Can't understand how, because they didn't have a sense of humour

I guess it depends upon the individual instructor. The very first thing RS Craig said to us in the Annexe was "Any Arethusa boys or Sea Cadets here?" He chose the first class leader (Mac, ex Arethusa) from the show of hands. I remember that it helped to know a little about doing your kit (and we showed the others how to tie cap tallies etc.) and most usefully: I had been to Ganges the previous summer, 67, on a Sea Cadet course so the place didn't give me the dreadful shock that it gave to some.

TS Thamesis (Staines).
Had a great time with them, several trips with the GSNC line out of London. week on HMS Protector at Guzz, then joined her several years later. Topped off by being on HMS Jamaica for the Queens Spithead review in '53.
Did 23 years in the Andrew, then back to SCC as an Instructor.
Tern

Tern38 said:
TS Thamesis (Staines).
Had a great time with them, several trips with the GSNC line out of London. week on HMS Protector at Guzz, then joined her several years later. Topped off by being on HMS Jamaica for the Queens Spithead review in '53.
Did 23 years in the Andrew, then back to SCC as an Instructor.
Tern

I joined the SCC at the age of 11 3/4 (Lied about my age!). My first unit being TS THAMESIS (Staines & Egham) in 1972. On moving back to Scotland some 3 years later, I transferred to TS AJAX (Methil & District), leaving the Corps to join the RN.
While in the RN I helped on a regular basis (Holding tandem SCC rank) in various units local to my Draft at the time (Arbroath, Irvine & Woking Units).

TS Sceptre mid to late eighties.
Many many good memories, and the crew of the boat were good eggs, as they answered our sometimes bone questions, we went to sea with them, and they even fell in with us when we had divisions/sunset. Nice lads.
We had just taken over an old church, and it was freezing cold even in summer, but slowly it was done up, and still there now.

Latest Threads