What Cadet Unit Were You In?

Discussion in 'SCC and URNU' started by abacus, Feb 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. SCC

2. ACF

3. ATC

4. CCF

5. Scouts - BB - GG - Other Youth

0 vote(s)
  6. None

1. A shameless lift from ARRSE and one I hope our Moderator will a) remember and b) approve of?

I was a member of the SCC at the (now long since closed) RMR unit at Eglinton Toll in Glasgow. It teaches you some interesting "life skills" as a 13 -16 year old walking the 2 miles back home in Navy Uniform - and that was back in the good old days when trousers were pressed inside out with their 7 creases - gawd do I feel old :(

I went on to join the TA so I am wondering if the Cadets have an impact on whether we go on to Adult Service; if so, which one we go on to; and whether we go Regular or Reserve.
  2. TS Steadfast, Kingston-Upon-Thames. We were considered to be one the best units in London (as we had pennants for every year going back to to about 1943). We still had the old serge uniform when everyone else had the new-ish one in mid-lat 80s. Still 7 creases when everyone else was fore and aft.
    I remember when I was in the Guard for Trafalgar day and had to press my trousers with fore and aft every other week for rehersals. Then I had to press them back for unit parades!!
    Good times.
    Am now army.
  3. TS Danae In Chesterfield then transfered to Folkestone Unit when my mum n dad split up. Joined the Signals from Sea Cadets. My younger brother was with me at TS Danae and stayed when parents split - he joined the RAF.

Good skills and life long friends earned.

am back now some 16 years later as an instructor, and love every minute of it.

4. ATC - 1083 SQD, RAF Uxbridge. Got to flight Sgt, from the age of 12-17 yrs old.

Oh the shame of admitting that :oops:
  5. In the Bristol (TS Adventure) sea cadets. When? Well maybe this will make Abacus not feel so old! On one Saturday when I was a cadet we took part in a anti - invasion exercise with the Home Guard! :oops:
  6. Boys Brigade for me.
  7. TS RALEIGH (Jarrow upon Tyne)
  8. I was in Hoylake unit TS Stork SCC, North West area (actually it was in West Kirby though!)

We were the same! I remember being loaned to the Birkenhead unit (TS Blackcap) with a few of my mates to increase their numbers for a big inspection but they had to issue us new trousers on loan without the 7seas/5 oceans creases!

My life was RN full stop! 2 nights a week at SCC, 1 (sometimes 2) night a week RNR (JS(SEA)2) and 2 evenings a week dinghy racing at the local sailing club representing the SCC

Love it I do! (Still)
  9. Edmonton (49/50) for a short time before entering Ganges. Prior to that was in the Sea Scouts (7th Edmonton)
  10. Going on from my earlier post about serge uniforms, we still had blue fronts...an incredibly itchy blue woolly jumper instead of a white front. We weren't allowed to have a t-shirt underneath and for the first 10 minutes it was excruciating. Do cadets/RN now still have it? As I said before, good times.
  11. I was a Venture Scout myself!

Sea Cadet units do a marvelous job so I'm not knocking them but a word of caution:

Upon joining the Royal Navy one 18yo Snotty at Dartmouth didn't think his views were being taken seriously by his 'Grad' peer group so he stood up, slammed his fist on the table and exclaimed "I WASN'T A CHIEF PETTY OFFICER IN THE SEA CADETS FOR NOTHING YOU KNOW." Once his oppos had stopped laughing and picked themselves up from the deck but couldn't find any shreds of said Snotty's credibility. :wink:
  12. Quite agree,FS. wprst thing I did when I went to Ganges was mention I was in the Sea Scouts and Cadets. "We only want half-wits here and we'll soon knock that bit out of you as well". Instructors were all bleedin comedians there. Can't understand how, because they didn't have a sense of humour
  13. I'm in CCF and in the RM cadets, what do I check?
  14. I was in TS Decoy in Bangor in Northern Ireland. The unit itself was just a giant green wooden shed, but it was fun enough. I became a pulling coxain and left at the rank of able cadet. I left it about 4 years ago. But I read in the paper that some vandals burnt it down. Nobody cared though because all the cadets where planning on doing the same thing to get a new "Hut" built in it's place.
  15. Sea Scout Ship Victoria Chief, First Victorian (KING'S OWN) Sea Scouts, Melbourne Australia. The Oldest Sea Scout Group in the World
  16. OK so not the most scientific of polls and a conclusion based only on 16 answers but would anyone disagree with the "truism" that the SCC produces a stronger pull-through to Adult Service than the ACF appears to (going by the poll on our sister site and discussion with ACIO staff).

In which case, have we got it wrong with the way we fund the various Youth Organisations? e.g. if SCC produces more than ACF, should the system provide the same resources as ACF get?
  17. I think part of the reason may well be that SCC is not normally attached to any school where as at least some ACF units are. I think that school based units tend to be more 'after school clubs' rather than places for people who have a real interest in the service.

I started off in a Naval Section in a school CCF which was fortunately disbanded about the same time as I turned 16 and I then went into the RNR where I did two years as a Junior Stoker before going to Dartmouth.

Three of us from my RNR division passed the AIB although one who was a bunting tosser in the RNR failed his medical on eyesight.

18. I remember Steadfast , being a Space Cadet in the locale. Wasn't Steadfast one of the few SCC units actually on a body of water? ie. the Thames. Just below Kingston Bridge as I remember. I think the local shipyard had a couple of Dunkirk veterans still doing the jollies route up the Thames to HCP, certainly in the 90's.
  19. 1083!!! *he spits in disgust* 1083 cadets seemed to get all the money from wing Hq. I'm a 267 Twickenham boy myself. I seem to be doing alot more that the SCC anyway.
  20. I did realise after posting that it has nothing to do with the Air Cadets, oh well. But 1083 Sqd were the best when I was there!

Kicked arse at everything!