What are your views?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by finknottle, May 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Independent Monday, 4 May 2009:

A pregnant British woman who faces execution by firing squad if she is convicted of drug smuggling is due to stand trial in Laos today. Lawyers from the charity Reprieve were battling yesterday to get access to Samantha Orobator, 20, in the notorious Phong Thong jail in the capital, Vientiane, before her trial begins.

The Laotian authorities have already breached international consular agreements by failing to inform the British Government of her arrest in August last year, claiming they did not have access to a fax machine. Now Reprieve claims they have brought forward her trial by up to a year specifically to deny her legal representation.

Reprieve's director, Clive Stafford Smith, called it a "farce" and a "show trial". Anna Morris, a lawyer from Reprieve, flew to Laos yesterday after securing an appointment with Ms Orobator tomorrow, only to be told that the authorities intended to open proceedings this morning.

Nigerian-born Ms Orobator, of south London, was arrested at Wattay Airport, allegedly carrying 680g of heroin. Smuggling more than 500g carries a mandatory death sentence in Laos.

My opinion, I am sick of hearing about people who get caught trafficking in countries that clearly state that if you are caught and found guilty the penalty is death.

So she is pregnant, well if she is found guilty let the baby be born then carry out the sentence, simple.
  2. Sgt. Major Williams mode <ON>

Oh dear, how sad, never mind.
  3. Consequence of actions...although there was a report she is pregnant after being raped in prison...doesn't excuse her from punishment
  4. General discomfort mode,<PENDING>

Shoot her now, get two for one.
  5. An observation, she hasn't yet stood trial so hasn't yet been found guilty. That said, once she is found guilty then fair enough, although personally I find the death penalty pretty abhorent, it's their law.

The issues around their manipulation of their justice system are more important than the individual in this case. Why would preparation for a fairly straightforward smuggling case take 18 months in the first place? That's more significant than the assertion that it's been brought forward.
  6. The laws on drug trafficking in Asia are very explicit. If you are caught then you die. Signs are prominent to this effect at ALL airports.
    In Bangkok it was routine for ALL Nigerians at one time to be X-rayed, they were not being racist but realist, many Nigerians visiting Thailand were being used as mules.
    Why is it every time a Brit is caught with drugs the papers complain about the punishment?
    If she is guilty then I for one have no sympathies, perhaps if we had similar laws in the EU and UK the drug problem would become far smaller.
  7. Before you all condemn the poor woman to death, she may be innocent of attempting to smuggle drugs. Who in their right mind would knowingly carry drugs in their luggage in Laos? She is pregnant because she was raped in prison. What an enlightened justice system they have in Laos which allows 18 months for "investigation" and then two days for trial and execution? Rum Ration has always had it's share of numbnuts who shout their lower deck bollocks at everybody, but please just allow a little human compassion to shine through occasionally.
  8. Her mother made an appeal for her release this morning, but I saw 'no' sincerity in her please, it all looked rather faked, but at least she didn't try to plead her daughters innocence.

P.S. In view of the above post, lowerdeck lawyers and numbnuts are entitled to their opinion as anyone else.
    As for the rape, at least she is getting her nuptuals, not a lot of women in prison are so lucky.
  9. If you note my post I do say "If she is guilty"
    If she is innocent of course then she should be well compensated for any injustices which have occurred. Though how you compensate for rape I don't know.
    Unfortunately there are a great many people who are supposedly in their right minds employed as drug mules by the barons. Nobody expects they will be the one who gets caught. Remember the last two young British girls who were caught in Bangkok?
    As for compassion I'm afraid that I have none for anyone involved in the illegal drug supply chain.
  10. My bold. I nearly wrote that but as this thread is not in 'lils I refrained from making it - no matter how much I agree with the comment :)
  11. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Hmm, I'm sure many here would be a bit more forgiving if the woman was white... :oops: :roll:
  12. Karma
    Straightforward cases in the UK regularly take up to two years to get to the final court hearing.
  13. Not from me. As a kid I recall watching a film on TV about the (honky) bloke who was caught drug smugging in Turkey. He managed to escape and thinking why are they glorifying his life.
  14. Midnight Express? You think that glorified his life? It all looked rather unpleasant to me.
  15. What the fck has skin colour to do with it?
  16. Yup, that's the film.

Perhaps the word "glorified" is wrong here. Apologies. Perhaps I should have said that I felt that the film was trying to get the viewer to be sympathetic. I was just thinking serve you right you tw4t.
  17. Can't see what the skin colour has to do with it personally although some may make it an issue and use it to justify their comments. If she is guilty then she should receive the punishment. As previously mentioned the Thai stance on drug smuggling is well known and she therefore knew the risks involved. All I can say is, if guilty, let her have the child before the sentence is carried out (whatever that may be).
  18. On the assumption that she's guilty?

I'm curious about this one, why?

Is it more humane to execute her and accept the consequence of the death of the child or to carry to term, then execute her and leave the child to the vagaries of the Thai state?

Personally I'd advocate the former as the most reasonable option of the two.

19. As I said ". If she is guilty", and as for the child, why execute someone who IS innocent. The woman has family who can look after the child. I can't see any benefit or justification for killing an unborn child (without getting into an abortion argument) because of the mothers alleged activities
  20. I don't see the colour has anything to do with it either. Just look at the Jade Goody thread and the shit she was thrown, she was white.