Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are you meant to wear for PRNC?

JDW

Midshipman
I mean, on entry when your on your way to the location via train. It says something about shirt with collar attached but it is not very clear on it. Do you have to wear shirt and tie and suit jacket as well? What did you wear?

Thanks.

Waspie

War Hero
Wear what it says. I am sure there will be no hidden meaning to catch you out.

Did you get the notification delivered in the correct language? If not contact your AFCO and I'm sure they will send it in braille or text speak, whichever is your preferred medium!!!

Rumrat

War Hero
The two replies thus far whilst bieng comical are of course flippant.
What you should strive to portray is smart but practical.
I always found A loose fitting dress with a decent pair of thigh length boots to be fetching.
And a sword. Always carry a sword. Mine is Pork but very practical.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I mean, on entry when your on your way to the location via train. It says something about shirt with collar attached but it is not very clear on it. Do you have to wear shirt and tie and suit jacket as well? What did you wear?

Thanks.

Not very clear? You sure about that Lofty?

Copy of the letter below:

PRNC Letter said:
ENCLOSURE 1TO RN ACQUAINT LETTER

CODE OF CONDUCT FOR THOSE ATTENDING PRE-ROYAL NAVY COURSE (RATINGS) AT THE ROYAL NAVAL ACQUAINT CENTRE

INTRODUCTION

The Royal Navy designed the PRNC to be enjoyable as well as informative for all. To ensure this goal is met the RN requires that all PRNC candidates, and in cases where the candidates are under the age of 18, their parents or guardians, read and agree to a code of conduct.

Non-military trainees who come to train in RN establishments are encouraged to respect and maintain an ethos similar to that of the RN itself. This Code of Conduct’s purpose is to ensure that candidates know the standards of behaviour expected of them, so that the course can be safe and enjoyable for all, and the RN can discharge its legal duty of care.

All candidates are required to read this code and declare that they are willing to be bound by it, by signing a copy before starting their PRNC(R). A full version of the code of conduct is available on request from RN Acquaint Centre (North) (RNAC(N)).

Authority of Uniformed and Duty Personnel

RNAC staff and duty personnel are authorised to maintain discipline, good order, security and safety in the establishment. Candidates at the RNAC(N) should respond positively to a request made of them and obey all legal orders. In an emergency, instruction from duty personnel must be followed promptly and without question.

Security and Safety

Strict security measures are necessary in military establishments because of the threat from terrorist organisations. All personnel are required to comply with any standing or local instruction. Candidates will be issued with a weekly visitor pass on arrival at the main gate which they must keep on their person at all times. All such passes are to be returned to RNAC staff on completion of the course.

Those attending RNAC(N) will be given appropriate instruction in Safety, Health, Environment and Fire (SHEF) issues. Candidates are required to comply with our legal SHEF obligations by adhering to the guidance and instruction given.

Attendance

All periods of programmed RNAC(N) instruction are considered compulsory, therefore it is expected that candidates take full part in the RNAC course programme at all times, as directed by the RNAC(N) staff. Punctuality is a vital aspect of military life and candidates are to be at their place of instruction prior to the designated start time to allow instruction to start promptly. Candidates will be expected to participate in a significant amount of physical exercise.

Dress

Candidates should arrive and leave MOD Caledonia dressed according to the following criteria:

Males - Shirt with collar attached, tie, trousers (not jeans) and shoes.

Females - Blouse, trousers or skirt (minimum knee length) and shoes.

For the duration of the PRNC(R) loan clothing will be issued and worn throughout - there will be no opportunity to wear civilian clothing during the course. Any damage to issued clothing is to be reported promptly to RNAC(N) staff. For safety reasons candidates will be required to remove jewellery when requested to do so.

- it doesn't mention coat, vest, nicks or socks either, nor the fact that jacket, bowler, top hat or tails are optional.

Rumrat

War Hero
What a gash reply, you never came near mentioning the sword.
No wonder there's a whole generation growing up damaged.

JDW

Midshipman
Haha thanks for replies, you know after reading it over again, it does make sense and is acutely quite clear. Maybe a little pitcture on the side of future letters, just a suggestion.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Haha thanks for replies, you know after reading it over again, it does make sense and is acutely quite clear. Maybe a little pitcture on the side of future letters, just a suggestion.

You mean pictograms for the hard of reading?

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero

Dear God - a PICTURE ffs! Please, PLEASE tell me this is a bite and I have just been gaffed!

Rumrat

War Hero
Dear God - a PICTURE ffs! Please, PLEASE tell me this is a bite and I have just been gaffed!

Sit down oppo and have a cup of tea.
Now look at the bigger picture ( see what I did there?).
All early learning books have picture, and not everyone develops at the same rate.
This lad may be a bit of a late runner but given enough pink fluffiness in his life may well obtain his goals.
Now its obvious he will not get any special love from you but if he's skin I'm sure we can find him a mentor on this forum somewhere....
Type 42, where are you, Thingy you're needed,.......

Dear oh dear.. if you can't follow simple instructions then you aint gonna last long in Her Majesty's Navy. Did it SAY jacket? NO! so there's no requirement to.. but if you want to wear a jacket, then I doubt there will be an issue with that. When all else fails,
RTFD READ THE F*****G DOC.

Last edited:

ben94

i was wondering if anyone knows if you need to get rid of facial hair and get your hair graded for the prnc or is that just for basic training? it doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere.

frogman007

War Hero
i was wondering if anyone knows if you need to get rid of facial hair and get your hair graded for the prnc or is that just for basic training? it doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere.

I assume by the time it was written, you were very pissed??

Rumrat

War Hero
Ah, happy (pink) days. I actually thought that dear old Thingy brought a certain 'something' to the posts wth his carefully worded grooming statements!!

It's always been a source of amusement to me that we are always told the old ******* are intolerant and homophobic and that the worlds moved on.
In the day we never give a **** (well I didn't) if a bloke was as gay as a cuckoo as long as he never tried to pork us, and as you say Thingy was a funny ******.
It was if I recall the younger members who drove the outrage bus as it "drove" him off the site.
Should we start a "Bring back the Thing" thread? He certainly brightened things up.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BillyNoMates What I actually meant was. Blue Jokes 0
B Can I wear athletic tape during Royal Marine Commando training ? Joining the Royal Navy 7
MoD_RSS British Embassy Warsaw staff wear pride-themed masks to mark IDAHOBIT MoD News 0
MoD_RSS North-east rail revolution begins with Beeching reversal and fund for new trains across Tyne and Wear MoD News 0
MoD_RSS If you’re going out to scare, know what to wear MoD News 0
mayabear Formal Interview ; what to wear? (Female) Joining the Royal Navy 8
Sgt Jobsearch Plant Trainer - Tyne & Wear - £Competitive The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
BFRS 3 Week Multi Trade Skills – Tyne and Wear The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Project Engineer - Tyne & Wear - £28,000 + benefits The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch General Manager - Tyne & Wear - £55,000 - £65,000 The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Technical Author - Tyne & Wear - £28,000 starting salary The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Engineering Technician (North East) - Tyne & Wear - £24,000 + Benefits The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Electrical Instrumentation Technician - Tyne & Wear - £28,000 + benefits The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
R Been told i can attest at Flying fox what to wear? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
Sgt Jobsearch Wireless Network Engineer - Tyne & Wear - £Negotiable + Benefits The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
DemobJob Wireless Network Engineer - Tyne & Wear The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
2_deck_dash Multiple adquals - how do you wear the badges? UPO 16
D Can you wear dolphins upon return to general service? Submariners 37
K Quick Question - What color trousers/shirts to wear at PRNC? Diamond Lil's 22
soleil Sky Tyne And Wear: "Royal Navy Streets Ahead In Heritage quest" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
DemobJob Pre Military Tutor - Tyne & Wear The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
soleil Sky Tyne & Wear: "Public Invited Aboard Newcastle Affiliated Warship HMS Dauntless" The Fleet 5
soleil Herald: "MP Has No Right To Wear Marine Tie" The Corps 13
D Why cant the RFA all wear the same uniform? RFA 9
T Victory! You will be able to wear your PJM Current Affairs 25
I Can I wear my Dolphins? Submariners 13
N can you wear knee supports whilst doing basic training ? Sports and Adventure Training 3
R What did you wear to your Recruitment tests? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 41
T What medals does HM The Queen wear The Quarterdeck 24
B Wear a suit to the RT? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
R What to wear! The Corps 31
R Bobbies Ordered Not to Wear Union Flag Badges Current Affairs 19
M What to wear interview and pre joining fitness test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
P 26 Jun - wear your uniform to work day Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 40
F What to wear to Acquaint course? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
RoboScorpion Question: What did WWII Royal Navy engine room crew wear? History 10
Good_CO Wear Your Virtual Poppy Site Issues 6
N POLL Should the RN Wear CS95's (where and when) Diamond Lil's 53
E what to wear for interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
brazenhussy What do you wear in bed??!! Diamond Lil's 41
R Should servicewomen wear all medals with bows? The Gash Barge 1
S To all those hoping to wear the Green Beret!!!! The Corps 32
S If you are hoping to wear the Green Beret Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
S Those wanting to wear the Green Beret The Corps 9
Spartan Can I join the recce platoon even though I wear glasses? The Corps 23
I What Badge shall I wear Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 10
sgtpepperband What to wear when your wife wants you to do something... The Gash Barge 13
silverfox Things not to wear when you're over 40........ Diamond Lil's 28
A What do Stokers wear under their blue overalls? Diamond Lil's 63
F 547 SPO Course (Pompey) What to wear? The Fleet 21