What are the top 5 on your top 25 most played and why

Discussion in 'Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy' started by drewfester, Nov 14, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just interested me today what the top 25 most played on my iTunes was so here we go

1. I won't let you go. James Morrison. Yes I know but all I can think of is my baby daughter :)
    2. Levon. Elton John (although the Bon Jovi version is brilliant). It's just amazing
    3. Drops of Jupiter. Train. Simply stunning piece of music, actually listen to the music and forget the song
    4. Will you follow me? Rob Dougan. I got married to this piece of superb music
    5. Adagio of Spartacus and Phrygia Reminds me of the sea (it was used as the theme for The Onedian Line). Absolutely brilliant

What's at the top of yours??????
  2. I'd love to play as this seems fun, but unfortunately I haven't got a clue what it's about.

I smell ageism :sad3:
  3. Magda

Magda War Hero Book Reviewer

=-) I think he means iTunes Top 25 Most Played or similar.

I'll just stick me oar in:

1. The Edge Of Glory - don't ask me why, I don't understand why I like this song either - I just do.
    2. The Lark Ascending - no explanation needed really.
    3. The Last Rose Of Summer - recently discovered this folk song, and it now lives in my "Zen" playlist :meditate:
    4. Jungleland: Live in NYC - the song which made me a Bruce Springsteen fan. Never looked back since.
    5. Theme from Ladies in Lavender - another "Zen" track.
  4. Yes thanks, I got that. I don't know what it means though.

Is it something to do with these new fangled CDs or something?
  5. Magda

I may be about to nibble here, if I haven't already, but here goes:

CDs > "ripped" to iTunes when placed in CD/DVD tray > (usually automatically) converted to digital media > synced to iPod/iPhone/iTouch for your listening pleasure when gadget is connected to PC/laptop.

The iTunes software - and most other musical gadgetry - automatically ranks the songs you play most, but then I think you gathered that.

In all honesty, I ain't the best person to ask. I understand the basics.
  6. Don't bet your house on it Magda :home: =-D
  7. Afraid my gun-toting friend is correct Magda. Though I am inclined to play on it a bit, I'm a technophobe in many, many ways.

I am thinking of getting an i thing of some description, but I will need a chaperone as they could flog me any old shit and I'd walk away with a simple grin before getting home and realising that I didn't even know how to plug the thing in. Do you plug them in?

Although not all that old I still like the idea of having my music on a disk or something. With a picture on the cover. If it's just on an i thing I don't really have it in my 1980s mind.

Err, this is about music isn't it?
  8. 1) ticket to heaven dire straights
    2)fields of athenry mary duff
    3)fields of gold sting
    4) these are the days van morrison
    5)the girl with far away eyes rolling stones
  9. 1. Chapel Club - White knight position.
    2. The Joy formidable - Austere.
    3. Arcade Fire - Ready to start.
    4. Interpol - Slow hands.
    5. The National - Conversation 16.

God I'm cool.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Magda

My advice would be not to focus entirely on an iThing (iPod or otherwise) as there are a great many good brands out there which essentially do the same thing and which - if you'll forgive me - might be easier for a technophobe to use =-) And yes you do plug them in, often using a USB cable (I'll stop right there, shall I? =-) )

If I were you, I'd go to John Lewis - aye, posh right?! - head for the Electronics department, collar a geeky young assistant and confess your lack of knowledge. They are often very willing to help you spend money, so they'll show you the various gadgets on offer and help you find one which suits. Apart from that, I like to believe John Lewis have a bit more integrity than some stores and won't try and flog you all the accessories to go with it, 15 years of warranty at £10 a month, and a half price end of line mobile phone as a "gift".

Things to consider before you buy:

~How much music do you want to have available at any one time? Prices rise exponentially with the amount of music you want to store.
    ~Should it be functional or fancy? As in, do you want games, videos, photos etc, or do you want Play/Stop/FF/RWind/Pause?
    ~Does it need to take knocks and bangs?

I also like having CDs of my music but they are on their way out. The great thing about digital media though, is that you don't have to buy entire albums anymore, just songs you like. AND, you have it almost instantly, no more HMV scouring!
  11. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

There's nothing more satisfying when listening to music, than to slide a vinyl album from it's sleeve, place it on the turntable start it going then read the insert as you listen.
    1) Only the Lonely.....Frank Sinatra.
    2) How do you keep the music playing...Tony Bennett.
    3) Every time we say goodbye....Ella Fitzgerald.
    4) Anything at all by....Barbra Streisand.
    5) Volaré...Pavarotti.
    Plus thousands of other songs I've loved over the years.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Thank you. A very helpful post, and not taking the piss half as much as I would!

~(1) This is where I start getting confused. I don't quite understand 'at any one time'. I want it all to be available at some time, but no huge need for prioritisation. Just the stuff I like to be available.
    ~(2) Nah. Just music. Don't do games, and having to much stuff available will only confuse me. The Play/Stop/FF/RWind/Pause sounds useful, if not essential.
    ~(3) Not really. I won't be using it on the bus to annoy people.

Thanks again. Very kind.
  13. Yes, but that's half the fun!
  14. Magda

PM incoming Guzzler.

And contrary to popular opinion (ahem :slow: ) I can be quite nice when I want to be! :-D
  15. Manly listen to the ipod when I'm on the bike so it has to be quite loud and fast,

Tattoo'd Lady..............Rory Gallagher
    Sultans of Swing.........Dire Straits
    Baggy Trousers...........Madness
    A kind of Magic............Queen
    Let me entertain you....Robbie Williams

Or if I'm sat in the car being sensible...Abba's greatest hits.
  16. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Biscuit Barrel - China Drum
    Since I've Been Loving You - Led Zeppelin
    Loneliness of a Tower Crane Driver - Elbow
    The Last of the International Playboys - Morrissey
    Underwear - Pulp

I've cheated a bit. These are the last five songs i played.
  17. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

1. Baby I'm a fool - Melody Gardot - she has a great voice
    2. Play on - Paloma Faith - she also has a great voice
    3. Prayin - Plan B - cheers me up
    4. Black boys on mopeds - Sinead O'Connor - I'm trying to learn acoustic guitar and she has some great old classic stuff to emulate
    5. Suit for Cello No1 in G Major - Yo Yo Ma ....................Followed by loads more Yo Yo Ma..... I've been listening to music whilst I work lately in the office and it only helps me to concentrate when there are no words so I can't sing along so classical stuff is great, the problem is I love this and I keep stopping work just to focus on the music!!