What are the RAF up to?

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by Magda, Jan 12, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Magda

Magda War Hero Book Reviewer

I live near to a reasonably large and well-known RAF airbase, out of which noisy jets fly (not to be too specific with the geography). I also live not too far away from where the big spy planes are based. Over the past few days - since Monday really - I've noticed a significant increase in activity overhead.

So far I've seen said noisy jets ruffle leaves on the tops of trees (which I had to say was rather impressive, even if it did nearly make the old dear in the car ahead of me screech sharply to a halt), 2 Chinooks (this is quite unusual), a couple of the big spy planes and heard but not seen countless noisy jets zooming around overhead.

I'm used to hearing/seeing the above, but not in such large numbers or so frequently. Handler - I know you're around the same area, have you noticed anything?

So what's going on?

Conspiracy theories welcome, of course.
  2. It's probably just some kind of full scale national emergency that heralds the coming of the Apocalypse. Nothing to worry about.

On the other hand it could be Blackrat tracking you down before 'inviting' you to his cellar. Something to worry about.
  3. Justifying their existence and celebrating beating the RN in the "stonewall" list:-D
  4. They'll be burning up there fuel budget to justify there excistance probably
  5. Independence Day. Alien invasion and the crabs want to be the first in on the PR angle.
  6. Probably not far off, the end of the financial year is approaching after all.

The ******* 9 to 5, weekend dodging, SSAFA bothering, fat polyester wearing whining dog's cocks.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Big fan then???
  8. Easy tigers...I thought we were all sat on the naughty step still!!!!
  9. Oh yeah. Forgot the reggie brought his warrant card home with him!
  10. They'll be checking up on Armouredinnerjacket and possibly taking out (very sneakily) another of his 'secret, for friendly use only' nuclear installations.

Or burning up the fuel budget.
  11. The only good Crabfat is one with her knickers round her ankles accepting meaty matelot justice.
  12. That's nice.
  13. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Practising for the 62 year anniversary of the 'Battle of Britain'. This year is another big celebration, it might be Ginger and Beryl's last time.
  14. It's Thursday night your time, so they'll all be at home on weekenders by now.
  15. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Yep, it wont last long the weekend's coming.
  16. AS you may know Magda, the AWACS and Sentries are operating on a round the clock sort of timetable, so not unusual to see them letting down on final approach. Similar to the other aircraft that are either visiting or staging through, they pass over this humble abode with regular frequency. Of late there has been a few of the big USAF transports, and yes the odd couple of Chinooks. Perhaps a prelude to any exercises that could be about to take place. I like to see them banking and getting lined up on a GCA approach.
  17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Don't we all?
  18. This made I chuckle, the daily papers publish an inventory of a brand new warship sailing into a highly volatile region, and almost spell out it's entire fighting capability, and dear old Magda is upholding the Official Secrets Act.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Magda

Magda War Hero Book Reviewer

"Persec" has to start somewhere, Rumrat, or so I'm told :-D not that anyone with a map and a grain of common sense couldn't work out where I mean ;-)

On a different note, nice to see you back after your "hiatus" :)
  20. I live in a valley in the Lake District and I have these ******* toilets flying at low level over my house all the time.

Anyone know where I can get a second hand Phalanx?