Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what are the entry requirements for being a pilot

aljh

MIA
Stallion, you do realise that this thread is over a year old? 11 mins 13 secs for under 25 1.5 miles, and 9.10 on the bleep test. 24 press ups, and 39 sit ups. It's not p company let's put it that way.

can u turn up in the old alfa for a spot of lunch before annoying the ground crew with tales of your shagging the night before,

spin the old kite up for an hour before booking a page of faults -

yup

then son you'll do just fine for me

sussex2 said:
Be called Nigel and wear white gloves?
Go for it mate if you can, and good luck.
On my umpteen trips with BA back and forth to the island I can tell almost instantly when the crew up front are recently ex services.
They have a way of chucking a 737 around the sky that pure civvy pilots would never do - great stuff as I get more for my money.

i know just what you mean - god those jumbo's can do an immelman roll followed by a cuban eight with a tailslide sometimes when at the hands of an ex-mod flyer.
it does amaze me when a proper "civvy-nigel" tries to do a tailslide and only pulls off a sideflick - why do they bother.

:knob:

shag_shacker said:
sussex2 said:
On my umpteen trips with BA back and forth to the island I can tell almost instantly when the crew up front are recently ex services.
They have a way of chucking a 737 around the sky that pure civvy pilots would never do - great stuff as I get more for my money.

i know just what you mean - god those jumbo's can do an immelman roll followed by a cuban eight with a tailslide sometimes when at the hands of an ex-mod flyer.
it does amaze me when a proper "civvy-nigel" tries to do a tailslide and only pulls off a sideflick - why do they bother.

:knob:

Is your name Nigel :wink:
Military pilots, not accustomed to having granny in the back row, have to be re-trained to a degree so as not to alarm the punters too much...

ctfairway

Lantern Swinger
Blapto said:
chockhead819 said:
I'm sure i've seen jet aircrew wearing glasses both rn & crabs
Yes, as training a pilot is a significant investment, if a pilot's eyesight degrades after training they may be allowed to remain operational and wear glasses.

I can confirm from direct, personal and current knowledge that it is perfectly acceptable to wear glasses or contact lenses as a rotary wing pilot. In fact it is even encouraged if your eyesight degrades as the improvement in vision from wearing lenses considerably aids safety and operatonal capability. I should emphasise that this does not mean you can start training with poor eyesight, only that you can correct your vision after starting training should that become necessary.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
All Warfare need to be Visual Acuity Standard 2 (VA2) or better to join the service in that particular job:

Visual acuity to be achieved without correcting lenses Right 6/24, Left 6/36.

Visual acuity to be achieved with correcting lenses Right 6/6N5, Left 6/9N5

Refraction limit
Spectacle correction (in any meridian)
+3.00 sphere -2.50 sphere or cyl.

PILOTS & OBSERVERS must be visual acuity Standard 1

Visual acuity to be achieved without correcting lenses Right 6/12 N5, Left 6/12 N5.

Visual acuity to be achieved with correcting lenses Right 6/6N5, Left 6/6N5

Refraction limit
Total hypermetropia +3.00 sphere
Astigmatism +1.25 cyl
Myopia (in any meridian) -0.75 sphere or cyl +3.00 sphere
+1.25 cyl
-0.75 sphere or cyl

Tally ho, smoke me a kipper. (Woof). Etc.,

Edited to ammend Pilot/Observer eye standards for ENTRY.

sussex2 said:
shag_shacker said:
sussex2 said:

Is your name Nigel :wink:
Military pilots, not accustomed to having granny in the back row, have to be re-trained to a degree so as not to alarm the punters too much...

i know just what you mean - in fact just recently after the last sortie for the day i distinctly remember the CO instructing all the pilots to remember that they were now driving a car and not a screaming banshee mother bringer of war and death harrier.

persona_non_grata

Lantern Swinger
Ninja_Stoker said:
All Warfare (yep pilots an' all) need to be Visual Acuity Standard 2 (VA2) or better to join the service in that particular job:

Visual acuity to be achieved without correcting lenses Right 6/24, Left 6/36.

Visual acuity to be achieved with correcting lenses Right 6/6N5, Left 6/9N5

Refraction limit
Spectacle correction (in any meridian)
+3.00 sphere -2.50 sphere or cyl.

Tally ho, smoke me a kipper. (Woof). Etc.,

I'm Standard 3... damn damn damn.. only 0.25 out in one eye! Bloody genetics and all that rubbish.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Just to clarify any misunderstanding:

PILOTS & OBSERVERS must be visual acuity Standard 1

Visual acuity to be achieved without correcting lenses Right 6/12 N5, Left 6/12 N5.

Visual acuity to be achieved with correcting lenses Right 6/6N5, Left 6/6N5

Refraction limit
Total hypermetropia +3.00 sphere
Astigmatism +1.25 cyl
Myopia (in any meridian) -0.75 sphere or cyl +3.00 sphere
+1.25 cyl
-0.75 sphere or cyl

Meatballs

Midshipman
I went down to the opticians with my Officer info sheet in hand to get it all filled in. I'm classed Standard 1, but my binocular vision isn't perfect, although it wasn't the WIRT test as asked for on the sheet - some other equivalent.

Anyone know if that will put me out of the running for Pilot/Observer?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mick1199 Entry requirements and accepted qualifications Joining the Royal Navy 6
J Deck Officer Cadet entry requirements RFA 5
K PJFT - Entry Requirements Submariners 10
A Entry Requirements for Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
S Entry Requirements....weight! Health & Fitness 15
T Entry requirements for Royal Navy Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 60
D RNR Medical entry requirements Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 4
R Pre-entry Medical Manchester location? Cancer? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
T Earlier entry date for submariners ? Joining the Royal Navy 7
O Direct Entry PO Marine Engineer Technician Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
T Raleigh Entry date Joining the Royal Navy 5
T Raleigh Entry date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
T Navy Entry Date Marine Engineer Joining the Royal Navy 4
CiviPilot Deferring University Entry Waiting for Officer Application? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
T Deferring Entry RFA 3
O Re-Entry Joining the Royal Navy 13
R Lateral entry PO Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
A RNR Medic? General entry Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
H 17 Sqn joint RAF/RN , direct entry? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
M Mine Clearance Diver Entry Joining the Royal Navy 3
O Direct entry The Gash Barge 42
R Officer entry, bad A levels but have a foundation degree Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
E Defer entry after offer receive Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
N CIS Entry Level Engineers? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
T Physical Training Instructor Direct Entry Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
M Direct entry Aircrewman Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS Open letter: GCSE tier entry guidance MoD News 0
F Can't get bank account due to marker. Is this a bar to entry? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
MoD_RSS Global Britain to attract more top scientists with fast tracked entry MoD News 0
W FAA Aircrewman entry age Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
C Inhalers a bar to entry? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
W Pilots and Observers - Age Limit on entry Increased to 34 The Fleet Air Arm 15
D Hms Raleigh entry date February 2020 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
S Accelerated Scheme Vs Standard Entry Joining the Royal Navy 4
M Possible to defer confirmed entry? Joining the Royal Navy 0
J BRNC January Entry FAA Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
crash_evans Direct Entry Physical Training Instructors Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
K Direct Entry Marine Engineering Officer Joining the Royal Navy 22
H Final Entry Briefing Joining the Royal Navy 25
MoD_RSS News story: HMRC outlines phased approach for Entry Summary Declarations MoD News 0
Ghost29 How long is wait after security clearance granted before i get a entry date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
D Direct entry junglie aircrewman advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
Maxpowers How long after PJFT can I expect an entry date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 45
S Hms Raleigh entry date June 2019 Joining the Royal Navy 11
MoD_RSS News story: Professional Entry Scheme: Bar Council app to be tested at five new courts MoD News 0
M HMS Raleigh Entry 6th January 2019 Joining the Royal Navy 7
TheMau5e Failed AIB entry for warfare Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
B Sideways entry from AET to Aircrewman The Fleet Air Arm 14
C Raleigh Re-entry course and beyond... Joining the Royal Navy 5
S Aircraft handler entry waiting times Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5