what are holdidays/leave like while in and out of training

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Jdot97, Aug 27, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am starting my basic training this October, this means it will fall over Christmas, does training still continue over Christmas or do we get a week off or something?? with this in mind is there anything else they stop training for?? Easter?? also, while were on the topic of basic training, are you able to take mobile phones with you??

and one more thing, once your in the royal navy, what's your leave like, like when your shore based or when you've been deployed...what's annual leave like, just anything about time on and time off comparison...im not bothered what the answer is (like loads or not much leave) I would just like to know before I go in...in 2 months time...
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If you have done PRNC, all this will have been briefed or if in doubt, you should contact your careers adviser to ask.

Assuming you've not attended PRNC or had an entry brief:

You get six weeks paid leave a year. Whilst in training, regardless of what week you have completed, you will take Christmas Leave at Christmas, Easter Leave at Easter and Summer Leave during the August Monsoon.

The only other time training may be paused is in times of national crisis, eg: http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-an...014/february/10/140210-rn-assist-flood-relief

After training, Christmas Leave could be in January, Easter Leave in May, etc., depending on operational tasking. Either way, you won't lose your leave, but if you are away from UK for 6 months you'll most likely take annual leave before or after deploying. Sometimes, you even get flown home to take leave.

When your ship is alongside, you can go ashore if not duty (expect to be required on board one day in four) each evening and can usually go home 3 weekends out of four, if you can afford it.