Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What am i to expect as an engineer apprentice.

Netflixlover

Midshipman
hi!
I'm due to start my engineering apprenticeship either in September or March I have a rough idea of what my job will be.
any engineers able to help me out!
what can I expect from the training, what will happen after the first 18 weeks of training? how does the new pay work.

I know it there's a few questions that I should already know about but I never get a straight answer anywhere:(

Cheers!

WelshJaffaCake

Lantern Swinger
All apprentice ratings are on same yearly rate so £14,650 a year then increasing to roughly 15 and half in second year of the apprenticeship contract. You will be paid each calendar month as soon as you start training. I can't give you details about engineering training because I am going in as a Steward but the first four weeks is the same for every rating. Week one to four is introduction,admin and functional skills. At end of your trade training you be sent to do basic sea survival course, firefighting and first aid. During some point in your training you be told what ship your going to and when.

With Level 1 functional skills, you meant not have to do it depending on your GCSEs but you can do Level 2 which will help you if wanted to become a officer later on in your career (see if you stay after two year contract)

I am surprised you been given a place and didn't ask or were told about the new pay rate during your interview.

Another thing if you want any chance of getting in Sept you got to get arse in gear because I was reserved for May but I was told everything must be done at least four weeks before your start date .

Last edited:

barny006

War Hero
Bilge diving, wetting the tea, laying shedloads of ME7 floor polish,a bit of Dining hall party, and quite a lot of watch keeping, filling in a task book for your next promotion and learning the the ropes to make you a useful member of the ships company.

Netflixlover

Midshipman
Yeah cheers!
When I was at my interview the new pay scales hadn't been released yet so no one really knew what the changes would be, despite being a reserve for September all my stuffs in, it's now just a waiting game

exJenny

War Hero
Book Reviewer
The new pay scales came in last year. Surprised how little you know about your new career, these are questions usually asked prior to and during interview.

@slimboyfat can you help at all?

Netflixlover

Midshipman
With the new apprentiships just starting at my interview it was unclear if they we're going to change, told we would be given clear understanding nearer joining date.

WelshJaffaCake

Lantern Swinger
With the new apprentiships just starting at my interview it was unclear if they we're going to change, told we would be given clear understanding nearer joining date.

When were you interviewed? I did my last November and I was told clearly about new apprenticeship contract & pay for unqualified rating. I assume you were interviewed by a PO/CPO of your department, he gave me a short rundown of the day to day duties of my job.

Last edited:

Netflixlover

Midshipman
Interview was in April, it was a CPO yeah.
The head of recruitment just kept reminding me its only a two year apprentiships but not much else about it, I know the type of quipment I'll be dealing with ect, but wanted to check see if any the guys on here were in their second year of the apprentiships to let me know what to expect.
On my interview the women from recruitment office was telling me she doesn't what was involved in the apprenticeship/ pay ect

All I was told was it'll be 18 weeks training to start off with.

WelshJaffaCake

Lantern Swinger
Interview was in April, it was a CPO yeah.
The head of recruitment just kept reminding me its only a two year apprentiships but not much else about it, I know the type of equipment I'll be dealing with ect, but wanted to check see if any the guys on here were in their second year of the apprentiships to let me know what to expect.
On my interview the women from recruitment office was telling me she doesn't what was involved in the apprenticeship/ pay ect

All I was told was it'll be 18 weeks training to start off with.

The women in the interview I agree was vague as possible when come to the job's T&S and did the same to me reminding me through out the interview that it was for a apprenticeship contract not a permanent job.

Another important note about functional skills, I believe they don't accept Scottish nationals or whatever you uplanders call a "education" :p

Last edited:

Netflixlover

Midshipman
It did dampen the mood throughout the interview,

Now now, just because you southeners can't comprehend a good education doesn't mean I should suffer;):p

slimboyfat

Lantern Swinger
I've just finished the engineering course ( as of today). If your on the September course it's 18 weeks roughly and it's straight forward basic engineering principles, when you get on a ship you have a task book and have to fill in 2 sections as a minimum ( nvq & watch keeping) you will be kept very busy your first 2 qualifying trips. As for pay you start at basic £1k a month roughly but when you qualify it doubles. If you are on the March course it's now the new course and is 32 weeks long so be prepared.
Best of luck

WelshJaffaCake

Lantern Swinger
IAs for pay you start at basic £1k a month roughly but when you qualify it doubles. If you are on the March course it's now the new course and is 32 weeks long so be prepared.
Best of luck

I believe with civil service pension, NI and income tax it goes down to £900-£950 a month depending how much you pay into NI & civil service pension since £14,65o is just over taxable income means we pay very little of it.

Why are they jumping training from 18 to 32 weeks?

slimboyfat

Lantern Swinger
My pay has always been around the 1k a month mark.
It's easier at sultan to book the full course rather than modules as we had modules moved and had a few weeks off due to that and they want to cut it out

WelshJaffaCake

Lantern Swinger
My pay has always been around the 1k a month mark.

You're right income after all taxes is £13,129 , I can't remember from top of my head what is the civil service pension contribution percentage ?

*Looked at the contract pay goes up to 15,138 in second year so real income is £13,461.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Triage Call - What To Expect? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
K Passed medical, what is next and how long should I expect before intake? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
K What to expect from the RFA? RFA 8
MoD_RSS Fiona Dickie tells tenants what to expect when they request MRO MoD News 0
A Filter Interview coming up... What to expect? Joining the Royal Navy 0
S What can I expect day to day? RFA 38
MoD_RSS Press release: Video released to help victims understand what to expect during the parole process MoD News 0
Maxpowers How long after PJFT can I expect an entry date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 45
N What to expect from POV visit? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
C [ UGAS MESM] Eligibility Call tomorrow, what can I expect? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
L.L1878 PRNC MOD CALEDONIA May 2018. What to expect Joining the Royal Navy 18
Bad CO Upgrade Beginning - Expect Disruption! Site Issues 5
R How long should I expect to wait for my start date? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
Subadubdub PRNC & what to expect. Joining the Royal Navy 39
W What to expect from the interview? RFA 24
TairyHesticles AET - what to expect? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
M Cold calling on the Recruitment Office. What can you expect. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
K Medical, what should I expect? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
Y RNP Aquaint - What to expect? Bases / Shore Est 23
dirtyweeally Initial Careers Presentation, what to expect? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
Stirling Ladies We Admire: expect robust mod action The Quarterdeck 153
fails_as_is I expect this will go down like a cup of cold sick... Current Affairs 32
M Air observer officer- what should i expect? The Fleet Air Arm 36
B What would you expect? Health & Fitness 6
Jammydodger URNU Medical, what to expect? Health & Fitness 3
A PRNC and what to expect. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Rumrat What does England expect from the commonwealth Games? Diamond Lil's 16
Passed-over_Loggie Should a Pal Expect Unlimited Help? Health & Fitness 17
P hair cuts and what to expect? The Gash Barge 25
K FFS, you expect it from the civvie press but the MOD website Current Affairs 24
T What to expect to witness at sea....... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
T tips on what to expect Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
N Drafted on to Ship. What can I expect? The Corps 32
creddly Wow, didn't expect there to be a gaming board on here. Gaming 32
U AIB cancelations - How long do they expect people to wait? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 1
M First 48 hours at BRNC, what to expect? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
O RFA System Engineer (qualified) interview RFA 7
G Recruitment for Weapons Engineer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 30
O Direct Entry PO Marine Engineer Technician Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
E Engineer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
T Navy Entry Date Marine Engineer Joining the Royal Navy 4
K Accelerated Apprentice Marine Engineer chance?! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
D Engineer Rear Admirals History 32
J Marine engineer travel opportunities Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
MoD_RSS UKAEA engineer in 2020 Top 50 Women in Engineering awards MoD News 0
H Joining as a marine engineer (submariner) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
T Systems Engineer Officer Training and Beyond RFA 2
F Joining as a Systems Engineer as an ETO on Cruise Ships RFA 4
C Weapons engineer Officer application (submariner) Joining the Royal Navy 1
Seadog RFA Commodore ( Engineer ). RFA 4