Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

What aircraft can Observers be streamed to?

Hi, I have my AIB coming up and as I delve deeper in my research I am slightly confused as to which helicopters have a role for Observers?

Merlin Mk2 - 820 RNAS
Merlin Mk4 (CHF) - 846 RNAS, 845 RNAS
Wildcat (Maritime Attack) - 825 RNAS
Wilcat AH1 (CHF) - 847 RNAS

My primary interest is the Commando Helicopter Force, however I want to make sure you can actually be an Observer on these helicopters before I start talking about it!

Here's another reasonably quick reply - for reasons of Personal Security (aka PERSEC) you might seriously consider changing your moniker if, as seems likely, it is linked to your actual name. I wish you success at AIB.

Jack

Don't know if CFH have Obs.

Squadron which do have Observers are ASW units and as @redmonkey says 'bags' or 'baggers' these are the long range radar guys, (Airborne Early Warning), who keep a look at what's going on over the horizon. I have no knowledge of these operations.

As a Obs on ASW units you 'could' also end up as Captain of the aircraft. (It's myth the Capt of an aircraft will be a pilot). You will also be responsible for tactics as well as safety, fuel management and a plethora of other duties. operating radar, radios and planning of ASW Ops etc.

There are a couple of more qualified folk on here @Magic_Mushroom who may be more qualified to advice further and be more role specific.

Good luck

Last edited:

Latest Threads