Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What actually happens when you apply (as an officer)

Pontius

War Hero
You're absolutely correct, Scouse, I should never have suggested such a thing for dinner; after all, officers only eat beef wellington, lobster thermadore etc. As for the timing, well that has more to do with time zones than me totally losing my mind and suggesting dinner rather than breakfast and I'm now just having a pre-ZZZzzz type.

Yaaawwwn, almost time for the Geisha to bring my night, night Asahi :D

In my case, I was told to come back a bit later.

(I was only 11 at the time but got carried away after reading John Winton's book 'We Joined the Navy' and listening to Leslie Phillips in 'The Navy Lark'.)

Androzani

2_deck_dash said:
Chaz said:
2DD you neglected to mention the frontal lobotomy removal, thus causing loss of all capacity for higher thought and reason!

That comes when they get to Dartmouth. Here is a copy of the first day's syllabus:

0700: Call the hands.
0800: Snorkers, good oh!
0900: Lobotomy.
1000: Pipe smoking.
1100: An introduction to high jinks.
1200: Intermediate high jinks.
1300: Snorkers, good oh!
1400: An introduction to Tomfoolery.
1500: Pipe smoking while sipping gin.
1600: Cravat tying.
1700: Intermediate Tomfoolery.
1800: Snorkers, good oh!
1900: Gin and naked rugger.

Gosh that all seems somewhat fast paced, hardly time for a splash of marsala and a macaroon, i thought they would have started with; letters of introduction, chosing an appropriate button hole, and when to give the gentlemans gentleman five of the best?

soleil

War Hero
Naval_Gazer said:

(I was only 11 at the time but got carried away after reading John Winton's book 'We Joined the Navy' and listening to Leslie Phillips in 'The Navy Lark'.)

NG

I think that is very sweet and quite touching.

Did you really enquire at the age of 11?

How did you go about it?

Chaz

MIA
soleil said:
Naval_Gazer said:

NG

How did you go about it?

I genuinely applied to join the RN at the age of 13, the RN wrote back telling me to reapply 6-8 months before leaving school!

soleil said:
Naval_Gazer said:

NG

How did you go about it?

Oh, Jane. How could you?

Sweet?!? :oops:

If you must know, I cut out a coupon in the Daily Express and posted it to the Admiralty. I received this brochure and a covering letter in return:

As things turned out, I was among the few in my Dartmouth entry not to be an Air candidate.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Joining age, when is actually too late? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
Maxpowers Is there actually a Rt pass mark Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
R Will I actually get a place at HMS Raleigh? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
B Aircrew Medical - How many actually pass. The Fleet Air Arm 2
BillyNoMates What I actually meant was. Blue Jokes 0
S Is this what HMS Raleigh is actually like? Miscellaneous 10
D Royal Navy Acquaint Course : What do i actually need to take with me ? ( Urgent ! ) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
M Who actually fires the weapons on boats? Submariners 29
K How long do you actually spend at sea in the RN? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 58
Magda Films you really don't like (but actually do). Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 6
2_deck_dash Life, actually it is pretty shite after all. Diamond Lil's 25
daffy1 Can England actually do it ?? Diamond Lil's 3
WhizzbangDai Obama is actually a Ninja The Quarterdeck 10
D Aircrew whats actually involved? The Fleet Air Arm 34
alex123 How many astutes will the navy actually get? Submariners 15
WhizzbangDai I actually like a defense secretary! The Quarterdeck 5
S Do RM actually dress up as women when they cross the equator The Corps 33
Random Battle of Britain pilots actually crap shots The Quarterdeck 26
BarryBuddon How many bootnecks actually post in this forum? The Corps 12
C Anyone actually enjoy their job? The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 44
K What do RNR Officers actually do? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 11
J What happens after HMS sultan and where are you based Joining the Royal Navy 22
A What happens after interview stage? How long do you have to wait till you get to HMS Raleigh? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
soleil FB: RN Photographers: What Happens If A Pilot Goes Down Behind Enemy Lines? Video By LPhot Dan Shepherd The Fleet Air Arm 0
B What happens after phase 2 training, when can you get ? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
MoD_RSS News story: National Apprenticeship Week 2019 - as it happens MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: National Apprenticeship Week 2019 - as it happens MoD News 0
vauxhall What Happens to Your Pension if You Go to Prison? Finance & Pensions 0
P What happens when a submariner asks the internet to pay for his wedding? Diamond Lil's 10
H What happens with injuries during basic? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
Walter_white Between HMS Raleigh and HMS Sultan- what happens? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 55
joeG What happens after training phases? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
sgtpepperband Take Two 'Normal' People, Add Money To Just One Of Them, And Watch What Happens Next The Quarterdeck 26
I What happens at raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
M what happens if... Health & Fitness 21
S [SERIOUS] What Happens When Your Fiance Starts at HMS Raleigh Finance & Pensions 45
S what happens to the other half when the fiancé goes on training at HMS Raleigh RR Greatest Threads 280
Rumrat This is what happens when........ Diamond Lil's 14
Grubber What Happens when you report a group on Facebook? The Internet - Best and Worst 6
M What happens during a usual year of service..?? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 38
D What happens to my Service pension? The Quarterdeck 3
F What happens if I move? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
Polycell So what happens.... Submariners 27
R What happens if you fail Royal Marine PJFT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
S What happens after the medical... Health & Fitness 0
D What Happens? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
E What happens? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 33