What actually happens when you apply (as an officer)

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Androzani, Oct 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello, I am looking for a bit of advice.

I went along to a careers office a few months ago, and talked over my options regarding applying as an officer. As i am doing some further study at University and there is no unit for my university they suggested i apply as a direct entry officer to the RNR for now, perhaps with a view to switching to the full time navy in a couple of years.

Well since then i have had the RT (more than meeting the required scores), Medical and Fitness test. And have started attending my local RNR unit, however everything now seems to be about prepairing for raleigh and be following the rating path. I have heard nothing about my AIB or anything relating to applying for it.

I was wondering if anyone knows when i should/would start hearing anything about my application?

I feel very much at the moment that i am getting pushed down a rating path, which is not one that is right for me, and that my AIB may not actually have been applied for. But i have no information for who to contact or who would actually be dealing with me. So i wondered if anyone could offer me some advice what actually happens after you apply as an officer so i know if i have some chasing up to do or not.
  2. Hi Androzani

Welcome to Rum Ration!

When do you finish at University?

What are you studying?
  3. Don't worry too much everyone goes to Raleigh first, Ninja will tell you the gospel about the acutal process.
  4. Hello,

i will be done summer 2012, but its a 2nd degree, in economics and finance, the first was in history-so no use as far as engineering or medicine would be concerned!
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Very often the RNR will initially direct a potential Officer down the Ratings path to help develop their general Naval knowledge prior to assessing them as a rating & recommending them to sit the AIB.

There are Direct Entry routes for RNR Officers but in my experience they are are more often former Regular RN Officers, those with an Ocean-going Masters Ticket, Doctors of Medicine, trained clergy, or with other directly transferrable professional/vocational qualifications & management experience.

Those who feel they fall into this category should make it known to their RNR training staff if they want to go for AIB directly upon joining the RNR.

Best of luck.
  6. ''What happens when you apply as an officer?''

Well after the ritual bumming you will be issued a pair of stone chinos and a blue double breasted blazer (you will have to purchase your own pink shirt, it shows financial maturity) you will then be led to the wardroom. An initial assessment will be carried out and if you have even an ounce of common in you, they will beat you repeatedly until you can elongate your vowels in an officer like manner. After this you will settle down to dinner, an infringement of cutlery etiquette at this stage is considered most serious and you will be shown the door immediately if you so much as look at the fish fork during the salad course.

They will also take into account various other character traits i.e. what shade of silver your VW Golf is, your polo handicap, what last season's bag was like on your father's shoot and perhaps most importantly how many middle names your girlfriend has.

Your previous education is also very important and will determine what sort of branch you end up in. Most Etonians go into the warfare branch but if you schooled at the other place it's ok, there are occasionally jobs that crop up in the logistics branch.

Hope this helps.
  7. 2DD you neglected to mention the frontal lobotomy removal, thus causing loss of all capacity for higher thought and reason!
  8. That comes when they get to Dartmouth. Here is a copy of the first day's syllabus:

0700: Call the hands.
    0800: Snorkers, good oh!
    0900: Lobotomy.
    1000: Pipe smoking.
    1100: An introduction to high jinks.
    1200: Intermediate high jinks.
    1300: Snorkers, good oh!
    1400: An introduction to Tomfoolery.
    1500: Pipe smoking while sipping gin.
    1600: Cravat tying.
    1700: Intermediate Tomfoolery.
    1800: Snorkers, good oh!
    1900: Gin and naked rugger.
  9. Quality! :lol: :lol:
  10. *makes note- must buy a decent pink shirt*
  11. Just wash a white shirt on a hot wash with your red socks - Result!
  12. Or find a steward to do it for you just to get you in the routine!
  13. Ninja_Stoker

Must say, I prefer 2DD's answers to mine, anyday. :wink:
  14. I was about to say

But seriously socks and red shirt

*writes down keypoint 3- steward and red socks*
  15. Yes. Certainly one of your better efforts 2DD.

Quite splendid.
  16. And from a member of the Lower Deck no less. I didn't know they could read and write.
  17. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Subversive I know, but most of us can... self taught out of self-preservation.... we've got to keep an eye on those nasty intellectuals in the wardroom :)
  18. I'm confused. Is '0700: Call the hands' the same as '0830ish: Steward suggests one might like to wake up and here's a nice cup of tea'?

Also, looking back in my BRNC Task Book, it clearly mentions the standard to be achieved in amusing japes. This was definitely required from day one, so the syllabus must have changed (obviously for the worse because they've got it easy now and it wasn't like this in my day).

All the mentioning of snorkers has got me positively fizzing with excitement. Time for one to take dinner I think :)
  19. Breakfast Pontius :wink: page 30 …`snorkers': they made an almost daily appearance on the menu,…page 54 … Where is Number One?' 'Eating breakfast,' said Lockhart tonelessly. 'Snorkers. Good Oh!!! :lol: From the Cruel Sea
  20. Ninja_Stoker

Hmmn, I was always told one shouldn't quote the BR to Officers...