Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What about the bars in Gib in the........................

Father_Famine

Lantern Swinger
Ninja_Stoker said:
Ninja_Stoker said:
Haven't been there for over 4 years now, but many a hazy, Tom Collins induced, fond memory:

Hole in the Wall- Charlie was always pissed-off when you went in & said "Blimey, I thought you'd died of AIDs mate". Especially when you said it several times the same day on different visits.

Death on the Rock (SAS stuff)- Remember the whole place being locked down (didn't know why) & giving the MOD Plod hard times at the Dockyard Entance 'cos he wouldn't let me back to the ship & my kebab was getting cold!

Snow White & 7 Dwarves run ashore- Rolled up to 'Donkeys Flip-flop' my turn to be Snow White, ordered my pint & Seven halves lined-up on the bar. Called "Heigh-Ho" at the top of my voice, all conversation stopped, eyes toward the door. Nothing happened! Tried again, same again. Downed 4.5 pints rather swiftly & exited only to find "my dwarves" chuckling to themselves in The Rock. The swines.
Or...

Having fallen for it again: "Just a bit of the back & sides mate" (Foolishly uttered to the Mad Morroccan Barber onboard). One crew-cut later, off ashore for consolitary beer & a "postcard".

Several hours later: Need a pee. A one handed vault over a three foot wall, a six foot drop onto the roof of an occupied cop car. Stunned expression, willy still in hand.

Ah, them were the days...

Absolute classics, you owe me a new keyboard.............. :D

My two greatest memories about Gib are:

Getting absolutely bolluxed in the mad Monk, staggering back onboard and following through. Dockyard Coppers not impressed with this walking turd, got back to ship and had to be helped into the shower.

Secondly on a T42 AMP alongside for three weeks after 4 days my lad and I, (I was a killick) decided to go fishing and dry out a bit.

After dangling me line in the water for a couple of hours with nothing biting, we decided to go back onboard, I fell down this fcuking great hole the dockies had left open and broke three bones in me foot.

I got back on board and retired for the night, leapt out of me pit (top) in the morning to a scream, foot swelled up like balloon.
Ambulance ordered to take me to hospital, where some sadistic scablifter x rays me foot then makes me sit with it in ice for ages, which hurt more than the break. He plasters me up and gives me a couple of crutches and fcuks me off.

I thought I'd be flown home, but, no, I get 2 weeks doing absolutely sod all, the fastest thing with two crutches down main st. Used to sit iint the corner of the bierkeller with me foot on the bar.

And to cap it all, I copped off with some drunken local tart who took me home and gave me a good time.

Gib, oh yes ah fine run ashore :wink: :wink: :wink: :roll:

pingbosun

Lantern Swinger
Re: What about the bars in Gib in the.......................

G'day guys/ sorry and Gals..

I'm stuffed if I can remember any more than the Trocadero, of all the times that I walked up and down that main drag, that's the only one that I can recall the name off.

I must admit though, that when I did go ashore in Gib I wasn't there to learn pub names, or street references, not even to get rabbits :twisted: I was ashore to get psised, or at last to have a damned good try at doing so :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

pingbosun

Cross Keys, Watneys Red barrell and chip banjo fights down the main drag. Went ashore from Rook whilst victiualled inboard,got plastered and they wouldnt let me back in as I hadnt drawn blankets so had to sleep back on the boat.Killick sparker got court marshalled for going to the Comcen for signals but went on a bender instead with classified orders still on him.He said it was worth every pint.One of the after endys went into the seamans canteen and asked for Sh*$ ob a raft and got thrown out.
Classic run ashore,hope to go back someday.

I remember stopping off in Gib on the way back from the Fezz Oct '69.
There was a bar called the Whiskey a go go, One topless dancer, packed everynight. Still going strong the following year.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Was there ever a Dockyard Bar in Gib, like the Small Ships on FLJ in Pompey?

I was sure there was, but am told it was never the case.

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer

Ninja_Stoker said:
Was there ever a Dockyard Bar in Gib, like the Small Ships on FLJ in Pompey?

I was sure there was, but am told it was never the case.

Hmm, not sure. I seem to remember the Mish [??] just outside the Dockyard gates. Any help?

ronalder

Lantern Swinger

Sorry I can't remember the name of the bar, but I still have the scar on my head where one of the dancers hit me with a tambourine because I absent mindedly put my hand on her backside. Only in a spirit of friendship , of course. After fifty years I now regard it as a badge of honour.

hobbit

War Hero

So many bars and so many years but I can sure remember the Troc, jam packed with matelots and the old spanish dancer on the stage , love those castinets . One visit jack got on the stage and somehow stuck his head up the dancer's dress , got a big cheer for that. I remember the all girl band too but can't remember the name of the pub. It was a very good run ashore though with so many crap ' rabbits ' the music boxes and those bleedin' clocks . Thanks to pusser for all these good times .

TOMSUDDES

Midshipman

Hi Jock
I was very surprised when I signed up to this site and found my name on your dit!! Yes I remember you and all you mention regarding the Gibraltar Nation Anthem!

What are you doing these days?
kind regards
Tom (Soapy) Suddes

Jacque-le-douste

Lantern Swinger

What about all the fotos on the walls in the London Bar, all gone now.
Sugars bar where Sugar would come around at sunset & draw the chintz curtains & switch the little lights on. Chimney Corner where they did'nt like you doing a Mick Jagger on the bar!
Any Submariners have digs in the Victoria Hotel on Maine Street?
What a luxury establishment that was!

lsadirty

War Hero
First time I went to Gib on CONX, they put us in ROOKE, and the Commander got the hump and phoned the boat after Colours to ask when the transport was coming to remove the hippy colony from outside his main gate: next visit, they put us in the Caleta Palace, When I went back there on VALIANT, lads were at the Caleta, SRs were in the Holiday Inn, while the Wardroom had to rough it in the Rock Hotel......Them were the days..........

bigbaddog

Banned
lsadirty said:
First time I went to Gib on CONX, they put us in ROOKE, and the Commander got the hump and phoned the boat after Colours to ask when the transport was coming to remove the hippy colony from outside his main gate: next visit, they put us in the Caleta Palace, When I went back there on VALIANT, lads were at the Caleta, SRs were in the Holiday Inn, while the Wardroom had to rough it in the Rock Hotel......Them were the days..........

Been chucked out of two of those.......I was found not guilty on all charges.

lsadirty

War Hero
Having had several light ales in the Angry Friar and various establishments one Sunday dinnertime, young Geordie hands his rabbits over very politely,and much to the general astonishment of the assembled sailor's mess, walks across the square, sticks one on the Governors House sentry, and promptly gets submerged by a host of angry pongoes and banged up for the afternoon. Apparently it was some Geordie/Mafia/Family feud that had been going on for years on Tyneside. £30 fine and leave stopped until we got back to Faslane 3 weeks later - he was the first over the brow heading for Glasgow Central and stations south, and nobody ever found out what the feud was about in the first place, but it was a sight to behold: if you're out there Hughie, Bonny Lad, I've still got the Teddy Bear you dropped...................

Graybags said:
Ok not forgetting : Paddington's, Donkey's Flip Flop,Trafalgar,Captain's Cabin, Ark Royal, Royal Calpe,Buccaneers,Clipper,Edinburgh Arms, to name but a few...

I'd completely forgotten about the many times I've wound up at Buc's! :dj:

A run wouldn't have been complete without BEBOB though
(Big Eats Back On Board) :pukel:

TOMSUDDES

Midshipman

I was that singer in Gib 1971-73!
I enjoyed running the Gib Folk Club, organising folk concerts in the large concert hall near the old naafi at the end of Main Street and also singing in the Captains Cabin bar.

Oh what memories and all that pussers rum that was still for sale behind the bar at £3 per bottle

I remember it well
Tom Suddes
(Soapy)

safewalrus

War Hero
of some intrest to those who knew him, sugar followed the Navy home to Guzz and ended his days there in relative obscurity! A sad and lonely end for a nice guy who thought the world of the Navy (the fact that he was a raving homosexual who liked 'his' sailors is beside the point) one of natures gentlemen!

safewalrus said:
of some intrest to those who knew him, sugar followed the Navy home to Guzz and ended his days there in relative obscurity! A sad and lonely end for a nice guy who thought the world of the Navy (the fact that he was a raving homosexual who liked 'his' sailors is beside the point) one of natures gentlemen!

I remember him well, gave us all a laugh when he danced to the Archies, and not to forget the occasional beer.

:)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Nail bars, salons and some outdoor venues to reopen in Leicester MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ilfracombe rapist will spend longer behind bars MoD News 0
T Medical Bars? Joining the Royal Navy 4
MoD_RSS Violent and sexual offenders to spend longer behind bars MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fiona Dickie urges tenants to provide evidence relevant to the investigation into Star Pubs & Bars MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Investigation into Star Pubs & Bars Limited MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Hampshire hammer attacker to spend longer behind bars MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Domestic abuser to spend more time behind bars MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Dstl forensic experts put 'revenge plotter' behind bars MoD News 0
scouse Pensioners behind bars!!! Diamond Lil's 3
scouse Pensioners behind bars Diamond Lil's 0
K Bars we have visited over the years History 94
MasterChief Medal Ribbons, Medal Bars on 3s The Quarterdeck 16
E Best/Worst Nightclubs and Bars Diamond Lil's 144
scousesubmariner best submariner bars in the country Submariners 58
Father_Famine Bar in Liverpool Bars Royal Marines who attended funeral Current Affairs 46
SONAR-BENDER I'm off to Gib tomorrow...... Diamond Lil's 8
Stirlin Gib super yacht . Travel & The Great Outdoors 46
AAF Monkey business in Gib. The Quarterdeck 5
soleil Carat: "The RN, TalkSPORT, Gib & Darren Gough - An Exciting Sponsorship Adventure" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 6
soleil Gib Chronicle: "Peer’s Navy Warning Over Gibraltar" Bases / Shore Est 9
soleil Vox (Gib): "Change Of Governor Of Gibraltar" The Corps 1
andym Gib Poll goes Viral! Current Affairs 2
soleil BBC: "New Tricks" - Filmed in Gib - Tuesday, 30/07/13 - 2100 Bases / Shore Est 30
trelawney126 Spanish Kings in laws move to Gib Diamond Lil's 1
soleil Vox (Gib): "Royal Marines’ Rock Run Today" The Corps 0
trelawney126 Spain in Gib Excursion HMS Scimitar Current Affairs 0
soleil Gibraltar Chronicle: "Royal Navy Signals Readiness To Protect Gib Waters" Bases / Shore Est 6
soleil Gibraltar Chronicle: "New Boathouse For Gib Squadron" Bases / Shore Est 5
stan_the_man Gib the dream draft - not Diamond Lil's 23
soleil Gibraltar Chronicle: "Gib Base Supports RN Vessel En Route To Libya" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil Panorama (Gib): "Week-long Visit By Frigate" The Fleet 3
soleil Gib. Chronicle: "University Naval Units Visit The Rock" SCC and URNU 16
soleil Gib Chronicle: "Submarine Rescue Exercise 'A Success'" Submariners 1
soleil Gib Chronicle: "UK Protest As Guardia Approaches RN Ships" Bases / Shore Est 10
soleil Gib. Chronicle: Two RN WO1s presented with Clasps by CBF Bases / Shore Est 2
soleil Gib. Chronicle: Guardia Vessel forces RN to abandon exercise Current Affairs 8
trelawney126 Times Obituary Rear Admiral Sturdee FO Gib 1969-1972 Current Affairs 3
soleil Gib: "Red Arrows’ Fitting Response to Spanish Incursions" Bases / Shore Est 6
soleil RN Officer-to-be in charge as Thunderer Sqn DTUS visits Gib SCC and URNU 5
J Flying to Gib with a NTO and ID card. Travel & The Great Outdoors 11
soleil First Sea Lord visits Gib Bases / Shore Est 3
soleil Gib Chronicle: "UK must defend Gib waters" Bases / Shore Est 4
5dits Navy warships dispatched as Spain invades seas around Gib Current Affairs 14
2 1972 Tug-o-war in Gib. The Quarterdeck 5