What a pathetic individual!

Blimey! Every British Legion in the country has someone like that.
I am always a tad suspicious of those who flaunt medals.
My father who was sunk and bombed and who knows what else, never even talked about it.

Patriot_Paul said:
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/tm_headline=falklands-war-hero-is-a-fake%26method=full%26objectid=19382836%26siteid=66633-name_page.html
The Daily Record have outed this prick.I hope he gets what he deserves.
'Invite' the walt to your clubhouse for a chat Paul

Buster,i think thats an excellent idea mate,especially as one of my Club Brothers WAS 3 Para and WAS Down South in 82.Im sure they'd have lots to talk about.I have a feeling he'd decline the invitation though lol.Still,what goes around as they say!!!!!

On the bright side it is unlikely the twat will be able to show his face in public for some considerable time to come ... so we should all be spared that much at least.

SF

I find at times a few words about para training is enough to find out who is a para and who aint!!

Like the time I met this chap when out walking the dog he spurted out about his leg hurting due to a para accident years back. And being a ex Royal ?

A few words about para training etc and he had to make a quick dash home.

That obese looking toe rag is beyond belief thankfully we have photoshop clone tool to delete the prick from the photos. Pity we canna delete him from planet earth!!!!

rum_rat said:
The wannabee fat creep was only 15 in 1982.
This fraudster should be charged now he has admitted it.
Blimey! He looks rough, time has obviously not been kind, which is about what he deserves.
Given that gut he'll probably expire from a heart attack or colon cancer; as someone else said 'what goes around comes around'.
Why on earth would you lie about military service, it is such an easy thing to be caught out with.
He must be a very insecure and inadequate individual.

rum_rat

Lantern Swinger
Brains said:
What a complete scumbag.

It's on the BBC News website too at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/6256720.stm

Has this guy broken the law by doing this, or would he have had to try to get financial gain or something like that?

Hopefully the fallout from this will stay with him for a long time.

The faker is sporting twice as many medals (nine) than the Duke of York has after 22 years in the Navy.

http://www.theimagefile.com/?skin=5489&Action=VF&id=4787833&ppwd=fc6429rr

Had he only worn two or three gongs instead of thinking he was Mongomery or Rommel he might have got away with it.

Great photo, all the fat [email protected] needs is a apple in his gob,what actually amazes me more than anything is how he hoped to get away with it, its one thing walting down the local where the chances of bumping into a genuine ex para who was there is remote, but to attend a major parade that will be heaving with the real deals is pushing your luck somewhat.

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Yes, I believe there is existing and executable legislation to cover offences such as this:

Uniforms Act 1894

Section 2. Military uniforms not to be worn without authority.

(1) It shall not be lawful for any person not serving in Her Majesty’s Military Forces to wear without Her Majesty’s permission the uniform of any of those forces, or any dress having the appearance or bearing any of the regimental or other distinctive marks of any such uniform: Provided that this enactment shall not prevent any persons from wearing any uniform or dress in the course of a stage play performed in a place duly licensed or authorised for the public performance of stage plays, or in the course of a music hall or circus performance, or in the course of any bona fide military representation.

(2) If any person contravenes this section he shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding [as per level 3 on the current Home Office standard scale of punishment], or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding one month.

Section 3. Penalty for bringing contempt on uniform.
If any person not serving in Her Majesty’s Naval or Military Forces wears without Her Majesty’s permission the uniform of any of those forces, or any dress having the appearance or bearing any of the regimental or other distinctive marks of any such uniform, in such a manner or under such circumstances as to be likely to bring contempt upon that uniform, or employs any other person so to wear that uniform or dress, he shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding [as per level 3 on the current Home Office standard scale of punishment], or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding one month.
[Source]

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Another piece of info:

Former servicemen and politicians are calling for tougher legislation to stop the growing number of people pretending to be military veterans.

They say the Walter Mitty characters who wear fake medals and uniforms are a "slur on the memory" of genuine servicemen.

The Daily Telegraph has discovered that dozens of impostors are donning Parachute Regiment and SAS berets and uniforms to attend parades.

In one case a fake has become chairman of a Royal British Legion branch. Others have used uniforms to raise money for charity.

Former paratroopers and SAS men, who have called the frauds a disgrace, want the Misinterpretation of Uniform Wearing Act 1894 to be updated and for police to pay greater attention to those attending remembrance parades and collecting money.

In one instance a driving test invigilator attended a parade wearing an SAS beret and an array of medals, including an American purple heart, claiming he had been in the regiment for 15 years. And a former lorry driver raised £100,000 for charity and gave talks to schools while wearing a Para beret, tie and blazer.

The Prince of Wales was also introduced to a former "colonel" in the Rhodesian SAS who had become chairman of his local Legion branch.

Liam Fox, the shadow defence secretary, said: "This is an insult and a slur on the memory of those who have served and even died wearing these uniforms.

"I have written to the Defence Secretary [John Reid] to inquire how any existing legislation could be tightened up or new legislation introduced to ensure those carrying out such acts receive the severest of penalties."

Former members of the Parachute Regiment have started a database to record the frauds. Using infantry manning records, regimental histories and the Armed Forces medal awards centre, they have uncovered at least 30 people falsely claiming to be ex-SAS or Para.

Gil Boyd, who was in 2 Para and served in Cambridgeshire constabulary for 30 years, said both civilian and military police should check the rims of medals of those under suspicion. These carry the name of the genuine recipient and they should consider arresting for criminal deception or theft under the Theft Act if the name is different.

"My biggest concern is whether these people are collecting on the street and making it look like they are bona fide former paratroopers."

Many of the uniforms are bought in second-hand shops and medals are easily purchased on eBay, which also sells blank certificates for military parachute courses with a lieutenant colonel's signature attached.

Andrew Robathan, the Tory deputy chief whip who served as an SAS officer for five years, called the charlatans "pathetic and sad".

"If I had a fiver for every former SAS man I have met I would be a rich man. Most people from a special forces background don't talk about it except with friends with whom they have served. Sometimes not even then."

A Royal British Legion spokesman said it could only identify impostors after members became suspicious. "Our problem is that we don't have access to MoD records."
[Source: Daily Telegraph - 2 May 06]

sgtpepperband said:
Yes, I believe there is existing and executable legislation to cover offences such as this:

Uniforms Act 1894

Section 2. Military uniforms not to be worn without authority.

(1) It shall not be lawful for any person not serving in Her Majesty’s Military Forces to wear without Her Majesty’s permission the uniform of any of those forces, or any dress having the appearance or bearing any of the regimental or other distinctive marks of any such uniform: Provided that this enactment shall not prevent any persons from wearing any uniform or dress in the course of a stage play performed in a place duly licensed or authorised for the public performance of stage plays, or in the course of a music hall or circus performance, or in the course of any bona fide military representation.

(2) If any person contravenes this section he shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding [as per level 3 on the current Home Office standard scale of punishment], or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding one month.

Section 3. Penalty for bringing contempt on uniform.
If any person not serving in Her Majesty’s Naval or Military Forces wears without Her Majesty’s permission the uniform of any of those forces, or any dress having the appearance or bearing any of the regimental or other distinctive marks of any such uniform, in such a manner or under such circumstances as to be likely to bring contempt upon that uniform, or employs any other person so to wear that uniform or dress, he shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding [as per level 3 on the current Home Office standard scale of punishment], or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding one month.
[Source]
Those regs state 'a person not serving' etc. Does that mean that no one who is not an actual serving member of the armed forces may wear any part of the uniform.
Would that cover those ex members still wearing their berets for instance? Or, what about those camo sort of shorts that are popular at the moment.
Is the widow or remaining partner or family member of a deceased medal holder entitled to wear the medal at the Rememberance service.
You could go on forever.
Fact remains that we have a very sad individual who seems to have a liking for for berets/medals/fast foods.
If the bugger lives in a small town the publicity will do the rest; what an absolute plonker.
Perhaps he thinks he is Nelson at the moment, or more like Henry the V111 given the size of the idiot.
It takes all sorts.

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Certain exceptions do apply (this section also appears in the Army Act 1955):

Air Force Act 1955

Section 197. Unauthorised use of and dealing in decorations, etc.

(1) Any person who, in the United Kingdom or in any colony,—
(a) without authority uses or wears any air-force decoration, or any badge, wound stripe or emblem supplied or authorised by the Defence Council, or
(b) uses or wears any decoration, badge, wound stripe, or emblem so nearly resembling any air-force decoration, or any such badge, stripe or emblem as aforesaid, as to be calculated to deceive, or
(c) falsely represents himself to be a person who is or has been entitled to use or wear any such decoration, badge, stripe or emblem as is mentioned in paragraph (a) of this subsection,
shall be guilty of an offence against this section:
Provided that nothing in this subsection shall prohibit the use or wearing of ordinary regimental badges or of brooches or ornaments representing them.

(2) Any person who purchases or takes in pawn any air-force, naval or military decoration awarded to any member of Her Majesty’s air forces, or solicits or procures any person to sell or pledge any such decoration, or acts for any person in the sale or pledging thereof, shall be guilty of an offence against this section unless he proves that at the time of the alleged offence the person to whom the decoration was awarded was dead or had ceased to be a member of those forces.

(3) Any person guilty of an offence against this section shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding [as per level 3 on the Home Office punishment scale] or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding three months or to both such a fine and such imprisonment.
[Source]

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
LujonSA Sports and Adventure Training 42
S Diamond Lil's 0
YouAreHavingALaugh Current Affairs 53