Whale Island

(granny)

RIP
Book Reviewer
FESS said:
:p I did my Q.R.2 (A) course in '66 (1 year), :lol: :lol: oh happy days. Bloody cold winter. after course sent to St George ( Exellent gunnery school annex) at the end of Southsea beach until drafted to the Hampshire. Was captain of the dish washing sink and the cleanin' of the snooker table in the NAAFI, had to test it every day. :wink: Lived in a garden shed with a big 'pot bellied stove' which had space for 18 cans of soup on the top.
In the sping we had petrol mowers to cut the grass, they dont work on parafin, so I found out, well it looked like the spare petrol can!!!!!!! :oops:

I did my GI's course in'66. As a 'Guzz' rate I cant say that I liked being in Pompey but as the Gunnery School in Drake closed in '56 I had no choice. Remember watching the World Cup, I was on duty that day. Straight back to HMS Cambridge after qualifying.

(granny) said:
FESS said:
:p I did my Q.R.2 (A) course in '66 (1 year), :lol: :lol: oh happy days. Bloody cold winter. after course sent to St George ( Exellent gunnery school annex) at the end of Southsea beach until drafted to the Hampshire. Was captain of the dish washing sink and the cleanin' of the snooker table in the NAAFI, had to test it every day. :wink: Lived in a garden shed with a big 'pot bellied stove' which had space for 18 cans of soup on the top.
In the sping we had petrol mowers to cut the grass, they dont work on parafin, so I found out, well it looked like the spare petrol can!!!!!!! :oops:

I did my GI's course in'66. As a 'Guzz' rate I cant say that I liked being in Pompey but as the Gunnery School in Drake closed in '56 I had no choice. Remember watching the World Cup, I was on duty that day. Straight back to HMS Cambridge after qualifying.

Was in HMS Cambridge at one time ---holiday camp and sea views !!
Compared to Excellent and its routines was glad I stayed in the Guzz area a while .
Last time in Excellent I was doing a 22 range supervisor one day course --
as a Chief Tiff -- was hopin someone would shout at me .

:nemo: :nemo:

R12_CV

Lantern Swinger
tiddlyoggy said:
Just been on course at Excellent. What a change the SR's mess is. Went in there a few years ago on ISSC and it was a few crushers whispering in corners, now those miserable t***s have gone it's great. Monday night and the mess was packed. BBQ and a band on (resident band practising) bar open late too! Best shoreside mess I've been in for a while.
Yeah, I've just come back from a course there and as you say the SR mess was throbbing....

Different story with Whaley Club though (JR's bar). Now shut down, apparently has been for some months!

lesbryan

War Hero
When they modernised all the accom in whaley back in the mid sixties it was second to non .Gone had the old pot bellied stoves on to a mess of about 100 or more the old gas fired boilers for hat water .It was murder on Friday if you were going on weekend you tried to make sure you got away early .If you were on course probably creeped round the gi a bit so you could get some hot water.then come the refurbished mess about fifty to a mess big wardrobe type lockers all mod cons it was bliss !!.I was there in my last year the only old mess left was H block and that was the R A's mess .and probably the field gunners mess (im not sure about one though)The messes when they had been done would not go amiss in todays age i dont think

lsadirty

War Hero
Was not Whale Island the main establishment for Wrens in the mid 60s? Remember during my time in DOLPHIN we had a run ashore in Pompey with our S&S Wrens, but when we found where we had to take them home to, the passion suddenly died - GIs can spot long hair in the dark - or is that another scare story ??

lesbryan

War Hero
Whale island was never the main wren establishment .It was always first and foremost the royal gunnery school along witrh fraser gunnery range and of course hms cambridge at wembury point

Waspie

War Hero
Whale Island! Killicks Leadership Course, what a fortnight that was. Never knew I had an assault course in me!!!!

Oh yes, I completed an Advanced photography course there too. That was about the time I learned to run across the parade square. (not).

Got away with that one cos my mate had the presence of mind to take a picture of the Gunnery Officer bawling at us. When he caught us a the Phot School we bribed him with a nice colour piccy if he would stop shouting. :dj: :frustrated: :salut: :thumright:

scouse

War Hero
lesbryan said:
Whale island was never the main wren establishment .It was always first and foremost the royal gunnery school along witrh fraser gunnery range and of course hms cambridge at wembury point
Thought Hms Dauntless at Whale Island was? in the 60s My oppo married a Wren/dusty from their :thumright:

slim

War Hero
scouse said:
lesbryan said:
Thought Hms Dauntless at Whale Island was? in the 60s My oppo married a Wren/dusty from their :thumright:

No Scouse Dauntless was at Burghfield near Reading. training establishment for ALL Wrens, including Wren Occifers who had to serve time as a JR wren (think it was six months)

scouse

War Hero
slim said:
scouse said:
lesbryan said:

No Scouse Dauntless was at Burghfield near Reading. training establishment for ALL Wrens, including Wren Occifers who had to serve time as a JR wren (think it was six months)
Ah!!! got it she would have been drafted to Hms Excellent as ships company. Ta :thumright:

lsadirty said:
Was not Whale Island the main establishment for Wrens in the mid 60s? Remember during my time in DOLPHIN we had a run ashore in Pompey with our S&S Wrens, but when we found where we had to take them home to, the passion suddenly died - GIs can spot long hair in the dark - or is that another scare story ??

Weren't all Jennies accomodated in the Victoria (?) Barracks opposite the Main Naafi Club in those days? I recall the S&S jennies having to be boated over from Vernon to Dolphin.

:)

slim

War Hero
whitemouse said:
lsadirty said:

Weren't all Jennies accomodated in the Victoria (?) Barracks opposite the Main Naafi Club in those days? I recall the S&S jennies having to be boated over from Vernon to Dolphin.

:)

Correct WM
My wife informs me that it was Duchess of Kent barracks for Portsmouth command WRNS
She joined in 1963 and by that time Whale Island had built WRNS Quarters, she missed the barracks by about a year. WRNS from Dolphin were also accommodated at Whale Island.
Eventually all establishments built WRNS Quarters and the barracks were closed.

Latest Threads