Western Morning News: "The Navy Has Held Plymouth Back"

Discussion in 'Bases / Shore Est' started by soleil, Oct 16, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right... In the same way British Steel held back Corby presumably. Are they really saying they'd have enjoyed the bracing "sink or swim" opportunities provided by the overnight closure of the dockyard? Just think of all of those thousands of janner dockies who could be multimillionire internet start-up entrepreneurs if it wasn't for the nasty MOD/DML giving them full union rights and a 20 minute working day....

• Like Like x 3
  2. The documentary evidence of that would be interesting.

3. Loved the fact he used an example of a motor factory not getting built . . . in the 1950's.

Might as well have added a cautionary note on sidling up to the Germans as they bombed us once, donchaknow.

Actually, he has a point regarding redundant military land being retained for a lot longer than is possibly necessary, but I suspect that the reality is not that the MoD is hanging onto it for sentimental reasons and more to do with no one coming forward and saying they want it. But it does further the Tory mantra of two-legs-good-four-legs-baaaaad when it comes to privatisation of everything, just a shame he spoilt it with his irrelevant example.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

By comparison of course, Chatham & Rosyth are each now a throbbing Metropolis since the mob pulled-out.

And Greenham Common? Yep, it's all fields since the US military pulled-out.

• Like Like x 1
  5. My bold.

Illuminating. And a sudden respect for Mr Jones for taking him to task and introducing the possible reason behind the comment. As the old Scots saying goes, found oot!

I note that Mr Colvile made his first of only two contributions at column 161, the quote above being the second. I am sure his electorate will be delighted in the value he places on one of the major employers of his constituency and how hard he has been working for his constituents. Lunch, anyone?

6. Bang goes my vote for the Colvile in the next election. He's blown it. Idiot.

I suggest other Service voters in Plymouth may feel the same as I.

7. He's not my MP so I can't not vote for him.

Instead I'll be not voting for Gary "god-bothering" Streeter, another pillock of the community.

8. What would Plymouth have without the RN? A serious uplift in unemployment and consanguineous relationships that's what, and it's not like Guzz needs more of either.

9. Considering the state of Dagenham, he should be thanking the RN for preventing Ford from opening up in Guzz.

10. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

This chap must be a bit thick not to realise that if the only worked example he can produce is sixty years stale, his argument looks a bit thin. Dolt.