Western Daily Press: "Devonport To Host Navy's First Gay Wedding Party"

Seadog

War Hero
JFH wrote
A few years back I read a DCI/DIN? Referring to a LGBT ball being held at Amport House, it quite clearly stated on it that claims could be made for transport of partners at MOD expense to attend.

However if you work away from home would the pusser pay for the wife/husband to travel to the summer ball? Not on your nelly!

If I recall correctly the Amport House event was based around a conference on the Service strategy and intention regarding being an inclusive employer and hence duty. It could be argued the ball was to that conference what a mess dinner is to the end of the Naval Engineers' conference. There are other examples.

As for summer balls, I've had my lady's taxi paid for to and from a mess ball at a mere £50 and that was 20 years ago. Officers' and SRs' messes got a certain amount of official money for a finite number of mess functions, maybe still do.

I didn't always 'get' what equality and diversity was trying to achieve for the Service and was opposed to what seemed like a special case being made, such as gongs for leading lights in E&D etc. I was not opposed to homosexuals serving, even before the ban was lifted. Maybe it wasn't handled well by those in the driving seat but to be fair, it was a 'first of class' issue. The Navy had known nothing like it since Jackie Fisher gave engineer officers equal status with the master race.

The Navy had known nothing like it since Jackie Fisher gave engineer officers equal status with the master race.

And look how that turned out. Ridiculous, I bet Lord Charlie B is still spinning in his grave. Sexuality shouldn't be an issue, but granting non-dabbers executive curls and access to the wardroom was an utter disaster we've yet to recover from. It almost certainly lead to the RN's performance at Jutland.