Welsh Guard's CO killed in Afghan

brigham600 said:
Very sad day and just heard on the news that he is the most senior servicemen to die since H Jones in the Falklands.

RIP
Not strictly true. An RAF wg cdr was lost in the 2006 Basra Lynx incident; Lt Col Thorneloe is the most senior Army officer killed since H Jones. However, as ever, rank is irrelevant in these issues and all families share the same grief.

My prayers and deepest sympathies to the families and friends of both Lt Col Thorneloe and Trooper Hammond, as well as the 2 RAF aircrew killed in a flying accident yesterday.

Regards,
MM

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Magic_Mushroom said:
My prayers and deepest sympathies to the families and friends of both Lt Col Thorneloe and Trooper Hammond, as well as the 2 RAF aircrew killed in a flying accident yesterday.
Mine too, a very bad day.

RIP

Magic_Mushroom said:
However, as ever, rank is irrelevant in these issues and all families share the same grief.

Regards,
MM
Absolutely true. Rank is immaterial in death.

RIP to all who lose there lives in service of their countries.

ctfairway

Lantern Swinger
A tragic affair. I also was irritated by the reporting inaccuracies saying he was the most senior officer killed since the Falklands. Wing Commander John Coxen, of equal rank to Lt Col Thorneloe, was killed in Basra on 6 May 2006 when his Navy Lynx (847 Sqd) was brought down by enemy action. 847's CO, Lt Cdr Darren Chapman was killed at the same time.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
The_Caretaker Miscellaneous 0
slim Diamond Lil's 3
N Current Affairs 21