Well thats the end of the navy as we new it!!!!

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by Rodgersthecabinboy, Feb 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I wonder whether they'll be driven by the old boys who sail their boats at the Southsea boating lake on Sundays?

One of them has an awesome model of Ark Royal.
  2. Ark Royal eh!!

I have a squadron of remote controlled German dive bombers :roll: :D :lol:
  3. I just knew that someone would come up with a cushy billet suitable for a non sea-going warfare WO. :roll: :D

4. :D :D :D :D :D :D :thumbright:
  5. This was done in the 1950s: General Jumbo.

In the real world, several navies (including the RN) have operated remote-controlled MCM surface drones since the first German Troika system of Seehunde minesweeping drones was introduced into service in 1979. Here's the more modern Danish StanFlex patrol vessel Makrelen (P554) with minehunting drone MSF1 alongside it:

6. Oh I do hope so,they could sort out those Somali Pirates,no problem.
    They are among the most crusty buggers I have ever met.
    Came across one at Llandudno boating lake some years ago sailing a 10ft model of H.M.S. Victorious around the lake.On her flight deck he only had models of Buccaneers and Ganets.Got talking to him and asked as to why she had no Sea Vixans or Scimitars on deck. Never Embarked on the 1965-67 commision he said. I think she did old boy.He went ballistic and more or less told me to fcuk off and mind my own bussiness.Great day out.. :roll:
  7. .....but who would scrub the flats and passageways?
  8. Why has it got bridge windows?

Actually, why has it got a bridge? :D
  9. Don't be silly. The robot sailors need to be able to see where they are going, don't they? :roll:

(Actually, a small crew is embarked for passage to and from the operational area.)
  10. Google is your friend: Lifebuoy

11. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Was not the elderly battleship HMS Centurion rigged up as a radio-controlled target drone between the wars?