Well, that's another Leander gone

I see Pakistan have used a Leander as target practice.

Linky

So glad I never served on them. Not being able to get your head down 'cos your pit was in the mess square and someone was sitting on your pit seems archaic.

And we give Pakistan how much in aid?

flymo said:

Linky

So glad I never served on them. Not being able to get your head down 'cos your pit was in the mess square and someone was sitting on your pit seems archaic.

I don't understand the relevance of that. They buy a ship from us and use it as a target. What has aid got to do with it?

flymo said:

Linky

Leanders were good ships oppo, F47 :wink: :wink: goob grub and messing

angry_mac said:
Saying Leanders were good ships is like saying a ford cortina was a good car. Did a great job but thankfully consigned to history.
Yes like my old Mk 3 Cortina, good little runabout, didnt last for the full 25 yrs like the Leander, though :wink: :wink:

Guzzler said:
flymo said:

Linky

I don't understand the relevance of that. They buy a ship from us and use it as a target. What has aid got to do with it?
The point that Pakistan can modernise its armed forces yet still has to take money from other countries for the welfare of its citizens.

Fair point; but the first responsibility of any Country is to defend itself. If it takes Aid to cover its second responsibility of feeding and sheltering its population, then it takes Aid. It seems preferable to the population migrating to its "land of milk and honey" of choice.

Passed-over_Loggie said:
Fair point; but the first responsibility of any Country is to defend itself. If it takes Aid to cover its second responsibility of feeding and sheltering its population, then it takes Aid. It seems preferable to the population migrating to its "land of milk and honey" of choice.
I wouldn't mind so much if they spent the aid money in the country it came from.

Although Pakistan gets a significant amount from the DfID pot, most of it is actually in the form of funds routed into FCO sponsored projects to support democratic movements and prevent extremism. A further lot gets dished out to in-country groups working towards similar aims. It is 'development' aid; encompassing economic, industrial, social and political development, the word 'aid' often gets confused with food parcels and such like. In Pakistan for example there is currently a huge project funded by the FCO and DfID in universities working towards countering the influence of extremist student organisations.

This is not to say of course that this approach works, an optimistic estimate is that about a third of the 'prevent' strategies we fund in Pakistan and Afghanistan might work.

I hear they've been helping out Iran..... their southern neighbour with the oil.....providing nuclear know how and such .... but I could be wrong.

Edited to add..... streaky, you're the one with the fcuking soviet flag !

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
silverfox Diamond Lil's 11
C Diamond Lil's 55
Tas-ape The Quarterdeck 128