Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well I think that's all over... Looking at a PMU.

Red_Siam

Midshipman
Picked up medical records today. Cut to the chase February last year, had a bout of anxiety. A one off incident broke the straw off the camel's back and I went a couple of times to the quacks for some advice.

Was pretty straight up with the fact I decided to have a four day binge on the beer, was stressed at work and some external stressor had got to me (bereavement, a friend closed up shop early) and coupled up with smoking and spicy food (wife's Thai, it constitutes a large part of my diet); my stomach weren't too rosy either. One visit in a 7 day stretched got me prescribed with a box of propanonolol for anti-anxiety and another visit a few days later for Omeprazole to settle the stomach.

Still got both boxes which in the grand scheme of things means nothing when this upcoming medical is conducted and assessed. My biggest concern is the GP who saw me when I went with a stomach complaint has but in my notes possible alcohol dependence. Soon as I read that I thought game over; worst about it was the GP trying to put words in my mouth during the consultation, I remember leaving it thinking this was odd.

GP put 6-8 cans of strong lager a day and reads like every day, when I clearly said in the last few days I'd smashed about that many beers. I also mentioned I worked in hospitality and he asked me if I found it tough with a bar in the workplace, to which I told the GP of course not, nothing wrong with the question but I was the way he said it. Never left me that thought. ัััััััััััััััััััััััััััััััััััััััััััััััััั

Lesson learnt, don't go to your GP saying you been on the piss. I feel better writing this on here to get off my chest; devestated a week of madness has led to this much disappointment but hey anyone reading this and thinking of going on a bender and squealing to a doctor. Just don't. Oh and obviously don't drink to deal with stress.

to summarize it's tough especially as I've never been diagnosed with any form of dependence and bothered with recreational drugs it all makes it a bitter pill to swallow but decision making is a big part of your judgement I suppose.

Red_Siam

Midshipman
So no medical, and did you mention any of this at interview, My point being you seem to have written yourself off before you start.
Well I didn't self diagnose for apparently being "alcohol dependent" so no I never expected these notes nor deemed them to exist and therefore any reason to mention.

I'd checked the requirements for the episode of anxiety prior to applying and thought one off with external life stressor would be OK. I can't remember being asked to be honest apart from signing the pre entry medical conditions list as fit.
Checking through rest of medical notes are bang on. I've worked and currently working in a position where I handle amounts of money in the 100ks and previously my surgery doctor has been sent a questionnaire for any signs of dependence/mental health issues and the GP clearly stated no.

This visit last April was out of hours with an unknown practitioner. His comments clearly override any supportive evidence previously. I'm sat here thinking do I withdraw application or wait for triage call.

Red_Siam

Midshipman
Why do you think it's all done and dusted?
It's clearly in the PULHEEMS that misuse or dependency is a bar to entry. I'm unable to differentiate if that's only if treatment/counseling has been received or if it's just merely mentioned in a consultation.

The notes are wrong, but fairly the reason I visited a GP are correct. Essentially I spent 4 days last year smashing some beers back which took their revenge health wise.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
First off, wait for the triage call, don't try and second guess what may or may not happen. Secondly if they assess you as TMU then it's a waiting game while they do further checks with your GP.

If you are assessed PMU then you can appeal, it all depends on how much you want the job at the end of the day.

Red_Siam

Midshipman
First off, wait for the triage call, don't try and second guess what may or may not happen. Secondly if they assess you as TMU then it's a waiting game while they do further checks with your GP.

If you are assessed PMU then you can appeal, it all depends on how much you want the job at the end of the day.

I had the call today and was made TMU. I even mentioned that I didn't help my stomach by having a session on the beer. She seemed non fussed.

Fingers crossed

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Looking ahead to National Inclusion Week MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Healthcare for planets and humans: why looking after nature is good for mind, body, and the NHS MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Veterans UK looking for new ways to help ease the pressure on the National Health Service and continue processing claims safely MoD News 0
K Looking for my deceased fathers naval records Submariners 8
MoD_RSS Report looking at how hateful extremists have been exploiting the current pandemic MoD News 0
S 34 & looking at Hydrography and Meteorology recruit Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
D Looking for Challenge/Spoof Coins From RFA Ships RFA 2
F Looking for information about Grandads pre-war ship service record... Can anyone help? History 13
E Considering joining the Royal Navy- looking for advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
soleil Island Echo: "Ryde's Sea Cadets Looking For New Adult Leaders" SCC and URNU 0
MoD_RSS Looking back at 125 years of the Bar Council MoD News 0
C Looking for info on ATC The Fleet Air Arm 0
CiviPilot At the end of INT for Ratings, Looking to become an officer via AOP? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
MorganCUFC Looking for Fitness tips Joining the Royal Navy 2
huwshpis Looking for a boat Travel & The Great Outdoors 31
MoD_RSS News story: Funding boost for councils looking after asylum seeking children MoD News 0
Lily jade Looking for Kevin Wakelin/Wakeling Nearest & Dearest 9
Sumo Looking for info on WWII Pongo History 12
MoD_RSS Press release: Grants available for SMEs looking to export MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Looking to the new year for progress to peace in Afghanistan MoD News 0
W Looking to join the navy, unsure due to daughter Nearest & Dearest 2
S Looking for archived Navy record Submariners 2
S Debut novel - looking for readers! The Book Club 16
Sumo Anyone looking for work in Guzz Diamond Lil's 8
R Looking for a Royal Marines documentary from early to mid 90s The Corps 2
L Chatham Field Gun Crew 1957 - looking for footage/photos History 2
dapperdunn “The **** you looking at shitlips”. The Gash Barge 42
W Looking to Join RNR but nearest establishment is rather far away Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 4
L Looking for info on where ships went to??? Bases / Shore Est 52
MoD_RSS Press release: Dstl is looking for out-of-this-world space scientists to join its programme MoD News 0
A Looking to join but need some help/info Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
A Looking for Aged Veterans Current Affairs 12
B Looking into a transfer to AC The Fleet Air Arm 23
Simon - Quest Magazine Looking for engineers at all levels (Leading Hands, POs & CPOs) The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 7
MoD_RSS News story: Looking ahead to the London Somalia Conference 2017 MoD News 0
J Looking for advice on a medical appeal Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
Deckhamlad Ex Bootneck looking to join the RFA RFA 2
Woolfy Funny looking ear Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
C Looking into RN career Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
A Hi looking for pre joining medical advice please Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
D Looking for families of new recruits and/ or new submarine links Nearest & Dearest 2
D Looking for new submariners wags Submariners 9
E Looking to join, have a few questions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
J Looking for photos of my husbands' service years Nearest & Dearest 2
P Commonwealth citizen looking to join as a Warfare Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
Bad CO Retd Koninklijke Marine Officer Looking to stay in Pompey Social & Reunions 10
Lindermyer Looking for Bill Diamond Lil's 10
D Sea Cadets are looking for volunteers Charity 44
Z Looking for information regarding joining deckhand Diamond Lil's 64
F Looking good The Quarterdeck 2