Well I Never...

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
The sister thread to this one http://www.navy-net.co.uk/diamond-lils/55775-did-you-know.html but with checkable facts. This thread has come about because Monty made a throwaway comment about Himmler of all people.

Reinhard Heidrich (head of the SD and effectively Himmler's 2IC) was an accomplished violinist, an Olympic standard fencer and saw combat as a fighter pilot over the Russian front in WWII.

Winston Churchill took part in the very last cavalry charge ever involving British horse, commanded a Battalion (briefly) in WWI on the western front and had a tattoo of an anchor on his arm.

Any others?

Last edited:
Otto Kretschmer was only a U Boat commander for 1.5 years before his capture but scored the highest tonnage sunk during WW2. After the war he became and Admiral in the Federal German Navy and was a Chief of Staff in NATO. Ironically he died in a boating accident on his 50th wedding anniversary.

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Professor Brian Cox was the keyboard player in D:Ream before deciding to bamboozle us with scientific stuff.

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I did? When did that happen? Was that in the ladies we admire thread? Mrs Himmler had many disagreeable facets but her uniform was nice.
It was indeedy and it got me thinking, hence this thread.

Also, the SS/SD uniform was designed and supplied by Hugo Boss, an ardent admirer of Hitler. (Seen here on Heydrich mit der combat flyers wings)

Last edited:

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
James Doohan (Scotty in the original Star Trek) Served with the Canadian Army in WWII. On D-Day, he killed two snipers and was shot six times.

G

guestm

Also, the SS/SD uniform was designed and supplied by Hugo Boss, an ardent admirer of Hitler. (Seen here on Heydrich mit der combat flyers wings)

Ah yes, I love that fact. Nazi uniforms were tres chic.

He does look as though the gene pool may not have been too deep...

Actor Richard Todd was one of the first British troops to parachute into Normandy on D Day. He refused to play himself in the film The Longest Day, instead playing Major Howard at Pegasus Bridge, who he actually reinforced on the bridge on the day, so knew him well. Another actor played Richard Todds role.

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
He does look as though the gene pool may not have been too deep...
He always reminds me of Paul Whicker the tall Vicar in Viz.

Monty is quite correct, the uniforms of the Third Reich were pretty darn good. I'm a huge fan of these boys and their kit;

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R094V1-George Miscellaneous 1
Shakey Miscellaneous 0
I History 1