Well I Never...

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by Blackrat, Feb 24, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

The sister thread to this one http://www.navy-net.co.uk/diamond-lils/55775-did-you-know.html but with checkable facts. This thread has come about because Monty made a throwaway comment about Himmler of all people.

Reinhard Heidrich (head of the SD and effectively Himmler's 2IC) was an accomplished violinist, an Olympic standard fencer and saw combat as a fighter pilot over the Russian front in WWII.

Winston Churchill took part in the very last cavalry charge ever involving British horse, commanded a Battalion (briefly) in WWI on the western front and had a tattoo of an anchor on his arm.

Any others?
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  2. Peter Cremer's ( WW2 U-Boat ace) paternal Grandmother was the daughter of a RN officer from Burnley in Lancashire.
  3. Otto Kretschmer was only a U Boat commander for 1.5 years before his capture but scored the highest tonnage sunk during WW2. After the war he became and Admiral in the Federal German Navy and was a Chief of Staff in NATO. Ironically he died in a boating accident on his 50th wedding anniversary.
  4. Blackrat

Professor Brian Cox was the keyboard player in D:Ream before deciding to bamboozle us with scientific stuff.
  5. I did? When did that happen? Was that in the ladies we admire thread? Mrs Himmler had many disagreeable facets but her uniform was nice.
  6. Heydrich was dismissed from the Kreigsmarine,for ungentlemanly conduct.Clearly the SS/SD not as picky.Who'd have thought it...^_~
  7. Blackrat

It was indeedy and it got me thinking, hence this thread.

Also, the SS/SD uniform was designed and supplied by Hugo Boss, an ardent admirer of Hitler. (Seen here on Heydrich mit der combat flyers wings)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  8. Blackrat

Elvis Presley was a natural blond. He dyed his hair. Uh hu hu.

9. Blackrat

James Doohan (Scotty in the original Star Trek) Served with the Canadian Army in WWII. On D-Day, he killed two snipers and was shot six times.

10. Ah yes, I love that fact. Nazi uniforms were tres chic.

11. He does look as though the gene pool may not have been too deep...
  12. Actor Richard Todd was one of the first British troops to parachute into Normandy on D Day. He refused to play himself in the film The Longest Day, instead playing Major Howard at Pegasus Bridge, who he actually reinforced on the bridge on the day, so knew him well. Another actor played Richard Todds role.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Blackrat

He always reminds me of Paul Whicker the tall Vicar in Viz.

Monty is quite correct, the uniforms of the Third Reich were pretty darn good. I'm a huge fan of these boys and their kit;

14. 'Its stuck Sarge'. About to have his thumb removed by the mechanism.:rofl:
  15. How long before the shitting German appears?

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  16. Blackrat