Well done Percy

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Topstop, May 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Picked up from defencemanagment.com

British sniper sets new world record
    Tuesday, May 04, 2010

A British soldier has set a new record for the longest sniper kill, taking out two Taliban machine-gunners over a mile and a half away from his position.

Corporal of Horse Craig Harrison took out the two men who were firing on his commander, from 1.54 miles away, or 8,120 feet, with consecutive shots from his L115A3 rifle. The 8.59mm bullets took almost three seconds to reach their target.

Afghan soldiers and Harrison's troop commander came under fire while on patrol in Musa Qala in November last year. Harrison, whose vehicle was further back than the rest, targeted the compound that the insurgents were firing from.

"We saw two insurgents running through its courtyard," said Harrison. "They came forward carrying a PKM machinegun, set it up and opened fire on the commander's wagon.

"Conditions were perfect, no wind, mild weather, clear visibility. I rested the bipod of my weapon on a compound wall and aimed for the gunner firing the machinegun. The driver of my Jackal, Trooper Cliff O'Farrell, spotted for me, providing all the information needed for the shot, which was at the extreme range of the weapon."

"The first round hit a machine-gunner in the stomach and killed him outright," said Harrison. "He went straight down and didn't move. The second insurgent grabbed the weapon and turned as my second shot hit him in the side. He went down, too. They were both dead."

Harrison only discovered that he had set a new record on his return to the UK. His shots, measured afterwards using a GPS device, beat the previous record of 7,972ft, set by a Canadian soldier in 2002.

Thats 2.475 meters with a 6 second flight time 8O 2 targets 1 shot each 8O 8O .338 magnum rather than the .50 of the last record

2. Heard about the Titanic as well? :thumbleft:

3. I heard an unconfirmed report that Mafeking has been relieved.

4. Why whats happened?