Welfare shake-up for lone parents

sweeney

Lantern Swinger
I was sat here in me mask and little cowboy hat (its okay for work) and I was jsut going send in a huge tirade... But its lone parent, not lone ranger, so carry on! :mrgreen:

hi ho silver... stand easy!

slim said:
Do you think that the government are perhaps getting the message from the taxpayer?
How long before the PC brigade attack this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6312127.stm

I would agree it sounds quite sensible, and in many ways that is worrying, the concept of common sense and our present government has not been something we have seen in recent years. I suspect though that by the time NuLabor have drafted the rules and they have been interpreted by the civil service the scheme will be unworkable and will be yet another costly failure.

slim

War Hero
Maxi_77 said:
slim said:
Do you think that the government are perhaps getting the message from the taxpayer?
How long before the PC brigade attack this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6312127.stm

I would agree it sounds quite sensible, and in many ways that is worrying, the concept of common sense and our present government has not been something we have seen in recent years. I suspect though that by the time NuLabor have drafted the rules and they have been interpreted by the civil service the scheme will be unworkable and will be yet another costly failure.

Maxi unfortunately as you say this will probably be screwed up by new labour.
In full agreement with you on the sense it makes.
Must stop this agreeing, people will start to talk! :wink:

Funny thing is that most of these ideas start life as draft proposal prepared by Civil Servants. Once a Minister has adopted it, the same or other Civil Servants then prepare it for Parliament under the required political direction. This then takes in to account relationships with existing legislation, political policy and precedent.

As you say, a good idea is often reduced to idiocy or impotence by the time Her Majesty sees it.

Darkershadeofblu said:
Gordon will probably introduce another voucher scheme so as to appease the PC brigade. How about re-introducing work houses!?

The various poor laws that governed the work houses were an attempt to alleviate poverty and in return obtain some value from those who needed the assistance. Of course against a background of legal child labour, and bonded workers it is not surprising that poor house conditions were bad. Add to that the fact that escape from the poorhouse was almost impossible, is was a very harsh sentence for the crime of poverty. Having said that I see no fundamental reason why those able bodied persons on the bru should not work for a couple of days a week for the benefit of the community that is paying them.

The general suggestion that we should make it easier for people who want to work and also those who should work to get from benefits back into work is a good one. I listened the other day to a radio interview about those on disability who are faced with the stark all or nothing choice when a graded approach to the return to work could actually get more of them back into at least part time work and many back to full time.

jenny966

I left the RN to have my daughter and became a lone parent when she was 7 months old. I have worked ever since, and although I would love to spend my days at home watching daytime television whilst she is at school my conscience wouldn't let me and it's just not financially viable. Childcare is available with funding so there is no excuse, sorry if this offends anyone but get off your ar*es and get a job! :mad:

jenny966 said:
I left the RN to have my daughter and became a lone parent when she was 7 months old. I have worked ever since, and although I would love to spend my days at home watching daytime television whilst she is at school my conscience wouldn't let me and it's just not financially viable. Childcare is available with funding so there is no excuse, sorry if this offends anyone but get off your ar*es and get a job! :mad:

Of course you are right but many of them do not have the benefit of your life in the Andrew and the transition from benefit to work is not seamless and through the way the system works leave people short of funds for some time, something most of us can cope with given time to plan a bit, but if you have been on benefit there is little or no sensible credit or reserve to cover the essentials till the new system kicks in.

jenny966

It depends on how determined you are. My sister is a single parent with two children, one of which is disabled. She was on all benefits with no financial support from her ex husband but was determined to make her life better. She had no real qualifications so started as a volunteer dinner nanny; she now works as a Special Needs Teaching Assistant receiving no government assistance. I think the problem is more to do with environment rather than finance - why work when everyone around you is on benefits and know how to work the system? I see it first hand as I now live on a Council estate in the North East.

The environment is clearly a problem for some as is the knowledge that any change in your support from the government will be a disaster, so the change from income support to tax credit will almost certainly be a disaster, that coupled with the very simple problem of surviving from the last gyro checque to the first pay cheque, paid in arrers of course. for many living hand to mouth a daunting prospect, the onnly person who will lend to them is the local loan shark, unless they are lucky enough to have a local credit union.

dondon

MIA
jenny966 said:

Well said that Lady , Makes my blood boil some of them :evil:

Latest Threads