Welcome to Naval History

Hi,
im am currently in college doing an EPQ (Extended Project Qualification), and my topic is Naval discipline, I have found lots of information about this but only up until 1938, if anyone has an information about naval discipline from 1940 onwards that would be greatly appreciated

many thanks

C_George.

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
Hi,
im am currently in college doing an EPQ (Extended Project Qualification), and my topic is Naval discipline, I have found lots of information about this but only up until 1938, if anyone has an information about naval discipline from 1940 onwards that would be greatly appreciated

many thanks

C_George.
From my memory.
Open Arrest
Close Arrest
Stoppage of leave pay rum various combinations. Rum would also be stopped if you caught the boat up.
If the ship was under sailing orders, being adrift was an Aggravated Offence and punishment was doubled.
Each offence had a number. Number 10 was frequently mentioned.
Many profound changes made in 1957 Naval Discipline Act. Number 11 series of punishments for minor offences introduced.

Last edited:
No 9's was/is a common one, now largely replaced by MAA's (Minor Administrative Actions) which means you don't have to go to the table for minor offences but you still get the shitty jobs to do out of working hours.

2nd Class for Conduct is worse than 9's and one down from going over the wall.

QR&AI (Queens Regulations & Admiralty Instructions ) was the Bible, If I remember rightly chapter 41 covered every minor offense with "was guilty of an act to the prejudice of good order and Naval discipline, in that he washed his socks in the Rum fanny. This gave rise to the statement from the Coxswain that If I walked from forward to aft I could always get somebody for something."