Welcome to Naval History

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
sgtpepperband said:
CY/RS is the trade - PO is the rank. :thumright:
Would that be like REG being the trade and CPO being the rank?

In the "old days" there were numerous examples of specific trade titles like MAA, CY, RS that did not include the persons rate - they no longer exist so any discussion about the rights and wrongs is moot. For many years, PO communicators were called simply RS or CY - this anomaly was removed with the addition of the PO prefix in the early 90s. I think they call it progress :)

FlagWagger said:
sgtpepperband said:
CY/RS is the trade - PO is the rank. :thumright:
Would that be like REG being the trade and CPO being the rank?

In the "old days" there were numerous examples of specific trade titles like MAA, CY, RS that did not include the persons rate - they no longer exist so any discussion about the rights and wrongs is moot. For many years, PO communicators were called simply RS or CY - this anomaly was removed with the addition of the PO prefix in the early 90s. I think they call it progress :)
NO I still called the so called RS/CY PO and that was what they were, just try and prove different. The MAA was and was called by us the CPO Regulator, they took it in good stead unlike yourselves ;P

Thanks SPB

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
YouAreHavingALaugh said:
NO I still called the so called RS/CY PO and that was what they were, just try and prove different.
Funny - back in 1991 my pay statement, my ID card, my request form to pick up my rate and my service docs all referred to CY - no feral PO at all; the PO suffix appeared sometime around 1993.

Can I prove it? not now I'm afraid. Can I be bothered? Not really.

YouAreHavingALaugh said:
The MAA was and was called by us the CPO Regulator, they took it in good stead unlike yourselves ;P

Thanks SPB
Actually the title doesn't / didn't bother me since being a Yeoman was more a state of mind (and if you're going to generalise.... unlike the reggies, ours wasn't removed on entry to the branch!) than a title.

Well said Flagwagger, and I totally agree on your wording, and recall the same on my documents. When I was rated, I was rated Communications Yeoman, not Petty Officer. My documents, which I still have prove that. I think my last half dozen pay slips had the print POCY, something that Centurion/MoD thought was a good idea.

When the Captain called, it was Yeoman, I was piped as Yeoman and so on and so on.

By the way a Yeoman is in accordance with the Brittanica Dictionary, a class intermediate between the gentry and the labourers; a yeoman was a retainer, guard, attendant, or subordinate official. Unofficially, a jack of all trades.

Regards, Chris

sulzer

Lantern Swinger
A dit from n old SBA who rose to a senior position in the NHS.
Subject: Re: Thames shipwrecks.a race against time

Oh yes! We used to pass her every time we left Queenborough (Sheerness) on our minesweeping missions in the 1947 season. For all that time we only knew that if she was damaged, an explosion equal to all the bombs dropped during 1944 & 1945 on Berlin would ensue at once! 'Hard 'a port coxswain!'

Scary.

Not too bad as we were knocking up magnetic, acoustic and contact mines for a living as it were.
Our flotilla was made up of little cockleshells called BYMS small wooden minesweepers built in the US of A specially for magnetic minesweeping We had all our double L gear (Magnetic minesweeping) removed (an Algerine Fleet sweeper, Senior Officer of the flotilla but had a huge degaussing belt fitted plus an acoustic device consisting of a pair of Kango hammer drills inside a conical fabrication battering the hell out of a bit or armour plate in the base. Whenever a mine was exploded (not always intentional) it was "Away
seaboat's crew" and "Fish for dinner/supper".
1947 was an idyllic summer and we spent most of it afloat in the North Sea and around the Hook of Holland.

I was the Sick Berth Attendant at the time and the only medical help for miles and miles. Big responsibility for a 19 year old. Did an emergency sick call over the ships TBS (Talk Between Ships, then fairly new VHF stuff) and maybe do 'rounds' in the ship's motor cutter
calling at each little BYMS to ask if anyone needed medical help. Never failed!
Loved every minute of it. Even got a special medal for it.

Re: Welcome to Naval History - the demise of !

whitemouse said:
Greetings All,

Seen the news today ?

The navy is going commercial - or appears to be.
RN/RM logos are to be sold off to generate funds to keep the once might Navy going, because they (although 'they' will deny it of course...!) cannot get enough monies for recruitment.

One more nail driven into the services coffin by a lacklustre, mean, self serving governing party.
:x

Never mind that the Communists saying that they will bury us - this government are doing a very good job !
Well said - the futures lies with obscurity and mediocrity if we carry on supporting those numbskulls in the cabinet office. I notice the Army and RAF have yet to sell off their logos. :threaten:

sulzer

Lantern Swinger
This is an actual film made of the surrender ceremony of the Japs to McArthur in Tokyo Bay in September1945.
> Actual voice of the Gene ral.
> Never been shown to the general public before. We always saw > the "stills" but never the film itself.
>
> If you are a history buff you will enjoy it. In the end, McArthur ask God to preserve “Peace†for eternity. God must have had his computer turned off, but it is good history with a good intent.

PS I went on the USS Missouri when she visted Portsmouth TM

http://enka2.netorage.com:9711/harddisk/user/lyk36/mumess/376-macarthurjap.htm

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Fntastic fins Sulzer. Personally I think Hirohito should have been led naked through the burned-out sytreets of Tokyo with a rope round his neck, and the Nips made to turn out and watch, so that they could understand their new place in the world.

SCU Leydene/RN Unit RAF Tangmere

I think you may find that when RAF Tangmere (Chichester) closed in the 1970's, and the RN Communications Unit on the far side of the airfield was all that remained, it also closed it's doors and moved to the former HMS Mercury site using the old individual accomodation blocks and a new building where the old NAAFI stood.

The RNU at Tangemere trained the Radio Operator (S) personnel in Russian, Arabic and Chinese language after their initial 6 month training course at CTS Bletchley run by GCHQ.

These personnel were used in both sea and land-based SigInt operations.

Hi
I am, for my sins, the owner of a Green Goddess Fire appliance with the registration number PGW226.I would like to ask if any of the Ex Navy personnel invoved in this forum and who were in the service during the 1977 Fire Strike "Operation Burberry", have any knowledge of where she was stationed during this time.We know she was manned by Naval personnel as when we had her restored recently we found under her paintwork on her engine bonnet the wording H.M.S Leek and on her lower front cheeks the letters R N.

Think she may have been in staffordshire at Leek, could be totally wrong in this.The paperwork that came with her does not have her Deployment info for Burberry.

We do know Royal Navy crews were in the West Midlands during this time.

Anybody got any info..would be very gratefull if you have.

Regards

Mark

My dissertation is based on t'navy, in the extremely unlikely instance anyone would be interested in reading it let me know. I don't expect anyone will but just in cases :p

I was wondering if the Royal Navy used an "up or out" process for officer promotion like the USN or it was still possible for an officer to spend his entire career as a Lieutenant, like the Royal Navy of Nelson's time?
If so, when did things change?

Can anyone help with any information on Operation, 'Brassard' / 'Cut out'. Namely, The landing and liberation of ELBA 20 June 1944. The names and location of the following are required:

The names of the few survivors of Royal Navy beach commando unit Able 1 and Able 2 and Obie 3 who took part in this landing please.

The names of members and location of remaining sub units Royal navy beach commando unit Able 3 and Obie 1 and Obie 2 please. I think these units did not take part in the operation.