Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

weight?

Smiffy_the_Shipwreck said:
When I applied I was 13 1/2 stone and 5'9", told my target weight for height was 11 1/2 stone, so I lost two stones in 6 weeks to make the entry I had planned for, really hard work, basically lived on salad and was swimming and running every day after work. It was a real pain but worth the effort
After basic training I was back to 13 1/2 stone again and 5'10, but a hell of a lot fitter!!
If you want it that bad you just have to put the sacrifice in............ :smile:

Don't you get warned or anything for going back over the weight mark again?

Isn't there a standard of weight that must be kept at all times like most things in the Armed Forces? :shock:

BMI is a load of tosh. But saying that, if a doctor won't let you through because of your weight, then fact is you have to try to achieve what they suggest. Because they won't let you through any other way.

I was only just heavy enough for my trade (right on the lower limit). But i can still crack out tons more push ups, pull ups and the like than what's needed. Regardless, if i'd have been a kilogram lighter, i wouldn't have made it that time.

Evaulate your health yourself. Do you eat well and excercise regularly? If not, do. If you do, it's a good base to build up from. Let us know!

Do the same rules for weight/fitness apply to the RNR?
I run 3 times a week and do a lot of hill-walking but am a substantial 17st (6' 1").
looks like I may have to postpone my application to RNR for a while!

Exactly the same rules apply to the RNR, which being the service I only just passed the weight criteria mark. I barely made it by drinking foul 'weight-gain' milkshakes from Boots!

The reason I ask for advice on this is because I'm hoping to join the regular service as an aircrew officer and would like to pass by a more confident margin.

Thanks peter

I've timed myself on the PJFT run and make it with a minute to spare and am pretty strong, I just carry extra ballast!!

Look ike it's the rabbit food and shakes then!

WM

I'm in the process of joining the RM myself and I came in with a BMI of over 30. Doc said I looked healthy enough but he wanted me to lose 3kgs (i'm 5.9 and 95ish kg's - 15 stone). Which is cool. I've been working to losing weight anyways so I'm not stress. As soon as its off I'm booking my PJFT. Wanna try and get to RT by Sept if I can.

Best advice I ever got. To lose mass - cardio, lots of and lean food (40% carbs 40% protein). To build mass - weight lifting and lots of protein, less cardio.

sandam said:
I'm in the process of joining the RM myself and I came in with a BMI of over 30. Doc said I looked healthy enough but he wanted me to lose 3kgs (i'm 5.9 and 95ish kg's - 15 stone). Which is cool. I've been working to losing weight anyways so I'm not stress. As soon as its off I'm booking my PJFT. Wanna try and get to RT by Sept if I can.

Best advice I ever got. To lose mass - cardio, lots of and lean food (40% carbs 40% protein). To build mass - weight lifting and lots of protein, less cardio.

I heard that Cardio is useless for burning calories. I'll only be doing it for fitness, but as for weight loss, it's great because you get to lose a lot of muscle too. But you won't burn much fat at all.

If you lose muscle, it's actually counter-productive because each 1lb of muscle requires 50 calories to maintain, so you're basically burning off stuff that'll help you burn calories.

The best way to lose fat is by hitting the weights to build some extra calorie consuming muscle and it'll also increase your basal metabolic rate (BMR). The higher your BMR, the more calories your resting body will burn per hour!

Latest Threads