Weight training on monday has disabled me!!??

Discussion in 'RMR' started by TheRust, Jun 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alright peeps!

Because the boxing season has finished i had a weight training session in the gym on Monday, done some bench press and some Fly's and that. My chest was aching but i think its just the usual pain you get after a workout. My Chest is still in pain and im just hesitant to train tonight, because i dont think ill train effectively. I think i may have torn something because the pain should be easing up after a few days, its terrible now, im sitting in work stinking of muscle rub and i struggle to take my jacket off/on. Doesnt sound too good.

Any Advice?
  2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Give yourself a break and go to the pub tonight instead, you know it makes sense. :thumright:
  3. Take a wee break from weights, once the pain has eased do some light swimming ie no Mark Spitz stuff.This way you will get some exercise but will have the advantage of the low impact (weightlessness).
    If you can't swim or don't like it some light runs will keep your cardio vascular fitness up.
    It may be worthwhile getting your style of weight training checked out by a qualified instructor, who may be able to give you a few pointers, may cost a few quid but if it saves you injury in the long run you know it makes sense.
    Are you in an RMR unit yet, if you are look around not many Rambo-Schwartzenegger lookalikes, eh? What you need is stamina and plenty of it.
    Good luck, keep us informed.
  4. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I don't do any of the activities you describe and funnily enough I am sitting in work with absolutely none of the symptoms you seem to have.

Strange old world isn't it.....
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Stating the obvious:

Rest, if symptoms persist, blah, blah.... pneumothorax.... see doc....

Smaller weights with reps rather than hoofing big uns'
  6. I like your style pal, at the moment i would struggle to lift a pint. haha!!
    Bootneck, Im not in the RMR yet mate, i sent my application off and im booked in for those crappy little Computer tests and an Interview in a week or so..... Hope everything goes well with them. Thanks for your advice mate, much appreciated. Are you in the RMR??
  7. Cheers Ninja!!
  8. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

No, ex regular.
  9. Rest, rest, Ibuprofen and rest!!! Longer term though mate, I would suggest ditching the weights until the end of your RMR Recruits Course.

As NZB said, what you need is stamina and endurance not size!! Work on muscular endurance by utilising your bodyweight to train. ie: Push ups, pull ups, sit ups, dips, handstand press, hindu squats, etc etc.

Resistance training can cause injury and you really want to eliminte anything that has the potential to set you back in your training. Big biceps look good, but solid working muscles is what you need in the RM/RMR.

Run, cycle, swim, circuits, hill walking - cant go wrong there!!
  10. Spenny thanks for the advice mate. Its just pissing me off (excuse the language) that i cant bloody train. I felt like i was at a brilliant fitness level and i will pass the selection weekend. But im having doubts as i cant continue my training due to a stupid injury. Ive booked my appointment with the doctor to have a look at my chest. Hopefully it will start easing up pretty soon. I got a boiling hot bath yesterday to relax my muscles, after struggling to get out the bath i done some stretches to try and ease it abit, felt ok at the time..... its gone worse since yday now. Ill keep you all informed on my condition lads, cheers for your support. :thumright:
  11. Ninja_Stoker

"I shall wear it always....."
  12. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

da dah dum..... He'll be here all week......
  13. Eh!?
  14. Hello rusty

Generally, I think it would be good idea to avoid doing exercise that is'nt specific to RMR training. (ie. shit loads of resistance)

btw, what detachment you at (pm me if you want)
  15. I used to get muscle pain for days on end after gymming, sometimes lasting over a week, despite sticking to the warm-up, pacing and cooling-down exercises afterwards. For me I found the best solution was to spend a good 15 minutes in the sauna - makiing it really hot - after the usual hot soapy shower, then have a 10 minute cold shower afterwards. Not very environmentally friendly though. :oops:

I haven't had such pains for over 18 months now though. I have been dutifully following the Silverfox Traning Programme: avoid exercise: it can seriously damage your Bootie prospects. :wink: Might I recommend the Mazarron Treatment*: warm sun, coffee and brandy with little cakes daily, rest, rum and excellent company. It'll do you the world of good and you'll feel much the better for it! :biggrin:

*Patent Pending
  16. I shall try this my friend, see if it helps..... Not lookin forward to the cold shower though....
  17. Ninja_Stoker

Ladies & Gentlemen, I Thang-yew-ah!
  18. WTF!? haha
  19. Silver Fox and Ninja Stoker used to have a Music Hall act in the late 60's, they were called the 'Baby Jacks' or summat. You have to be of a certain age to really appreciate their zany antics, me I'm creased up :rofl:
    I've been out of the mob for 24 years (Silver Jubilee in '08), so I'm an old fecker...Now where did I leave my zimmer frame, damn going to be late for aerobics again.
    :strong: :mrgreen:
  20. From what i have learnt, one effective way of preventing DOMS (Delayed Onset Of Muscle Soreness) is to have a good warm up and cool down. As you said you are doing that you should be fine. I know that the England Rugby squad have a cold shower (To reduce swelling in muscles due to microtears) the followed by a sauna session (To increase blood folw to get rid of lactic acid) then follwed by a bit of swimming (To get some mobility going on)

Works for me :thumright: