weight lifting after phase 1

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by gav charlton, Dec 21, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hello, I start basic training on the 13th of January and realise I will be too busy with kit and other things to carry on with weight training for my time at raleigh. I am very keen to keep up my routine after the 10 weeks basic training, I was just wondering if I would get the chance to carry this on in phase 2 in my spare time, and since I will be staying at Raleigh for sub school after the 10 weeks what sort of gym facilities will there be, thanks.

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

While at Raleigh - and most other shore establishments - you will have access to very adequate fitness equipment, including weight rooms. As for time to use them, this will depend on your training syllabus, but I doubt you will be able to do so during the working day. Once you have completed your kit preparation and homework/revision, you will be able to do your training then. But be prepared to drop it to concentrate on your naval training; should the instructors feel that it is having an impact on your studies, they will notice if you start to flag. Notwithstanding that, things will improve once you have completed your training and you join your first unit. Neptune and Drake have decent facilities and I would imagine that most modern 'boats' have limited equipment to use on board.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks for the quick reply, I understand that the naval training comes first and if needs be would put my personal needs on hold. yeah I heard the boats are limited to a few free weights and a rowing machine if your lucky but some better than other.. looking forward to finding this out first hand

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Time management is the key. If you are prepared to fit it in around your watches/daily working routine, it is relatively easy. 2SL's personal function standards encourage personnel to do as much sporting or fitness activities as possible ("Fit to fight, fit for life"). Providing you meet the minimum fitness requirements, your DO will be pleased; over and above that, and it will be reflected in your appraisals.

The RN's physical development portal is here: https://pdevportal.co.uk/

5. If you feel that you must lift weights then may I suggest that you inform your Divisional CPO of this at the earliest opportunity.
    I feel sure that he will welcome you with open arms as it isn't very often that volunteers are found.:blob2:

• Like Like x 2
  6. cheers for the help, really appreciate it.

7. the weights and cardio gym at raligh is of quite a high stanard and i thoughly enjoyed useing them at the weekend when i had the oppertunity. But there is lots of P.T stuffed into every week so you will get fitter. And if your lucky u should go into Cornwell division which is really chilled and more fun than any other division at raligh!

8. .
    One must assume that Chrisr2110 really enjoyed that spell at raligh...

:roll:

9. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

More a case of didn't spell at Raligh!

10. it was hard but well worth it

11. LANTERN score of -5 (to older members NAMET of 12/12)

12. What is chilled about Cornwell? Only thing chilled about it is wet and dry this time of year

13. The showers

14. not really bothered about the gym while at Raleigh doing basic training, if I get any free time there is a bigger chance I will be doing kit or just generally chilling out Ha am sure the PT will take care of the rest while I'm there, but cheers anyway fella

15. I think it could be useful also if the Navy provided information of the fitness facilities on all the ships, as i've mentioned before I'm a keen sprinter so getting access to an athletics track and some weights are important to me!

16. 2cool, the RN has warships, not floating gyms and running tracks. Anything a warship carries in that respect is an addition, not a given and will vary greatly. If all you're concerned about is gym equipment I would suggest you're going for the wrong job unless PTI is your ultimate aim.

• Like Like x 2
  17. I'm aware of that, but I enjoy my training and as the Navy is keen on sports/fitness i'm sure they would be happy I'm trying to fit in my training wherever possible outside work hours

18. Yes, so you keep saying. What further information do you want? There are usually plentiful sports facilities on shore establishments and limited sports faciities on ships, as I believe you've been told. What is 'important' to you is of little concern. You don't seem to pick up on the point being made that though it is a bonus to have such facilities, a running track on a warship may get in the way of the ship's main purpose. Fighting a war.

19. I know that there is very little chance of getting much use of any fitness facilities while on board of a boat or a ship, you just have to make the most of it while your at a shore establishment then pick up were you left of when you get back, or that would be the general idea... anyone that thinks they can carry on there same regime while on board is clueless just got to make the most of what you have even if that means your body body weight circuits for month on end, deal with it.

20. Not only do they provide a running track, it is also a moving obstacle course of opening doors and eyebolts and tabbers. Bring your water skis too, great fun at 28 knots.

• Like Like x 1