Weight issue

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Tailz, Mar 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm new here so, Hi :D

Anyways im currently waiting for take my Aptitude Test on the 27th of this month. And have been training for a few months now and i seem to have lost abit of weight...

Im now weighing it at just 9 stone!! Ive always been slim but i know the weight requirement is 9 1/2 stone.

Is this a big issue? I mean im more than tall enuf at about 5'8.

Will i have to put the weight on before i can be entered, or isit not that big a deal?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

2. Are you male or female ? Do you do weight training, as that will add muscle.
    Surely they don't consider weight that important as long as you are fit... ?

3. BMI is a load of bull.

But like everyone I had to loose wieght to get into the "healthy weight" range.
    And Im only just in it!
    Haha

4. If you are seriously obese BMI is not a load of bull, yes if you are into weight training and have plenty of muscle the figures do need adjusting .

5. Okay so maby not a load of bull.
    But its not completly acurate is it

6. BMI doesn't take into account muscle etc so it's not completely accurate especially in military applications where many people should have some muscle to be honest.

My BMI would be high weighing in at around 16 stone and being 6 foot 3 but im a fairly big bloke from my years of rugby and military didn't see any problems.

If your underweight it is not so bad I would imagine it easier to gain weight rather than lose it ;) You will be fine bud

7. Im male, and yes i do a fair bit of weight training.

I just find it hard to put on weight i always have, and ive always done lots of cardio and running.

My BMI is 19.19 and apprently im in the healthy range =]

I've heard to put on weight in muslce, i must do 6-8 reps of the heaviest ( or close too) weight i can do, and eat lots of carbs before a workout, and protein after.. any truth there?

And fitness wise, im fairly fit atm. I've always been active and my best time so far for the 1.5mile run is 9.45, so should be no worries there.

8. No but its a good guide fatty

9. BMI may be "a load of bull" but at my RN medical it was calculated and recorded so I am assuming they must often use it as standard measure.
    Of course there is an exception to every norm but statistics say that most 20st English blokes are likely to be lard and not in fact pure muscle.

10. BMI is rubbish, on the basis on BMI I believe I read on the BBC website that none of the England Rugby Team would be able to join the British Forces.

I don't think you should have anything to worry by, I am about 9 and a half stone, but just over 6ft, and for me that wasn't a problem at my medical with CAAMB, but different areas, different requirements, get it checked with an ACLO.

The Carbs before, Protein after is simple, the carbs give you slow burning energy whilst you are working out, the protein after is to provide your body with the building blocks to repair any damaged muscle.

Best of luck.

11. Thanks for watching my back P_O. :p
    Grrrr.

12. BMI does have a certain value generally, but the problem is that it only accounts for height and weight ratio, and does'nt account for total body composition ie water, bone density fat or muscle etc.

Personally, I'm surprised that such an advanced organisation like the military actually consider it.

(There are'nt any health disadvantages in having too much muscle; wich could give you a high BMI)