Weight issue?

First post so go easy - I can see a post from quite some time ago regarding something simillair but I'm looking for a more recent/relevant answer.

I'm waiting on going for my medical before my PJFT - the run I'm sure I'll be fine with, a few seconds short of the 11.58 or so needed just now.

31 year old male, 5'9 ish with a stocky build, 32ish waist. My BMI is miles off the chart but I wouldn't say I'm as overweight as its saying.

Weight just doesnt shift off me - whatever I lose in fat I gain in mass, so my weight is always sitting at 87kg.

Has anyone went through their medical recently in the same sort of state that I am and actually passed it?

Cheers in advance.

First post so go easy - I can see a post from quite some time ago regarding something simillair but I'm looking for a more recent/relevant answer.

I'm waiting on going for my medical before my PJFT - the run I'm sure I'll be fine with, a few seconds short of the 11.58 or so needed just now.

31 year old male, 5'9 ish with a stocky build, 32ish waist. My BMI is miles off the chart but I wouldn't say I'm as overweight as its saying.

Weight just doesnt shift off me - whatever I lose in fat I gain in mass, so my weight is always sitting at 87kg.

Has anyone went through their medical recently in the same sort of state that I am and actually passed it?

Cheers in advance.
Highly unlikely.

If your BMI is off the the chart you wont get to the PJFT stage as you have to pass the medical first..

Baldy B

I'm wondering whether what would help you would be to tackle your weight head-on and do everything you can to bring it within the acceptable range. That would mean a whole range of advantages for you, above and beyond the fact that it would allow you pass the weight element of the medical.

I would make an appointment with your GP to ask what the practice can offer - in some areas, they have schemes which allow the GP to prescribe WeightWatchers Classes; they may also offer something with the practice nurse.

Some GPs can also prescribe gym classes; it depends on the local Trust.

This is just the time of year to get a grip on this, I think. It's easier to trim down in the spring and summer, I find. One reason is that the choice of fruit and vegetables is wider in the shops and another is that it's so much easier to go out for a brisk walk when the sun's shining.

PS I have met a fair few guys who found weight loss easier when they drank less alcohol. You might find that this helps.

PPS I wrote the above on the assumption that you had a lot of weight to lose, so it might not apply.

Last edited:
Are you a muscle builder type fitness freak? (no disrespect meant with the term:))
Only my eldest tried to get in. But he plays amateur Rugby (both codes) and his BMI was too high due to muscle mass. He tried slimming but it just made him look ill!
Gave up in the end.
The other lad though - blooming racing snake!! Never did any fitness until he started training for his entry tests and got in.

You BMI isn't miles off the chart; from what I remember you had to be below 28 to pass and your's is 28.3.

What is your waist circumference? That needs to be below 94cm (again from memory) so have a check.

I'm not a muscle builder fitness freak - I play football once or twice a week and was doing upperbody weights at the gym for the last year or so, so I've got decent shoulders, slight bit of weight around the midriff but what 31 year old doesnt.

I dont drink atall, I dont smoke. So the alcohol thing wouldnt work for me unfortunately.

I have quite big legs aswell as calfs so that doesnt help matters.

I have looked into it and apparently my BMI needs to be under 25 - which makes me 76kg. I would look annorexic at that weight as thats a good 11kg less than I am now and theres genuinely not that much fat to shift.

p.s. my diet is bang on aswell as I'm trying to lose the weight - no snacks or fizzy juice, 2 healthy meals with weetabix for breakfast. Absolutely no extras whatsoever.

I’m 36, when I applied last year my BMI was 28.9, it’s now 25.4, I was carrying a beer gut and was really unfit but I was just so determined to do this, I looked at all sorts of diets but the thing that really done it was doing intermittent fasting, that worked a treat, the weight just fell off me

I maybe give the fasting thing a go on my days off exercise, see how that gets on.

If the BMI is 28, I'm not worried at all now then. The 25 BMI means losing 11kg which is unacheivable with my frame.

I'm not a muscle builder fitness freak - I play football once or twice a week and was doing upperbody weights at the gym for the last year or so, so I've got decent shoulders, slight bit of weight around the midriff but what 31 year old doesnt.

I dont drink atall, I dont smoke. So the alcohol thing wouldnt work for me unfortunately.

I have quite big legs aswell as calfs so that doesnt help matters.

I have looked into it and apparently my BMI needs to be under 25 - which makes me 76kg. I would look annorexic at that weight as thats a good 11kg less than I am now and theres genuinely not that much fat to shift.

p.s. my diet is bang on aswell as I'm trying to lose the weight - no snacks or fizzy juice, 2 healthy meals with weetabix for breakfast. Absolutely no extras whatsoever.
I weighed in at 91kg at 5’9 at my medical and they done a waist circumference and I passed it that way, unfortunately I failed for other things but it definitely wasn’t my weight!!

Traminator

Lantern Swinger
Your bmi doesn’t have to be below 25, it’s can be below 28 as long as your waistline is less than 94cm
That's exactly what I was told by the doc doing medicals in September. The 94 cm waist is used for those who fall into the high bmi bracket due to large frame / large muscles etc.

I'm serving, 178cm and 93 kg (BMI 29ish), and a 33" waist. I passed my recent medicals fine.

I wouldn't stress if I were you. The only way I could make my BMI <25 is to chop off a leg.

clonmel

Lantern Swinger

Cheers in advance.

Hi mate

Over the course of 2016 I let myself become a bit of a slob, and ended up 14st (I am 177cm tall). Not much of that was muscle, although I'd kid myself on that I was more Jonny Wilkinson in build.

I wasn't, and frankly I was in denial.

In early 2017 I scored for a 6-monther overseas, and decided that I was going to do something about it, as I am mid-40s now and did not want to embark upon the rest of my life as a f**ing fat slob. I went along to my MO, explained my situation, and her view was pretty simple, summarised in the 3 bullet points below.

1. You won't out-train a bad diet, unless you are on an arduous military course (SF selection etc)
2. It really is all about what you eat.
3. Exercise is helpful, but not the panacea.

For every 1lb of weight you want to lose, you have to burn 3500 calories more than you take in, over a set period of time. That can be done pretty easily if you eat lots of green food and do gentle exercise. You can easily lose 2lbs per week (medics don't recommend weight loss at any more rate than this).

So what? Well, the bit I've highlighted above is, not to be offensive, frankly bulls**t. Anyone can lose weight, it depends on how much you want to. Eat less, move more, stay off the grog (you've already indicated you don't drink, which is a great start). Prioritise on green food, and keep a diary of what you eat.

Don't discount Weight Watchers either, my sister lost nearly 5 stone in 6 months by being a member.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

clonmel

Lantern Swinger
I weighed in at 91kg at 5’9 at my medical and they done a waist circumference and I passed it that way, unfortunately I failed for other things but it definitely wasn’t my weight!!
Not to sound rude mate, but at 91kg and 5ft9, you are - by medical definition - quite overweight. I say that not to be insulting (because I've been there myself, I topped out at 14st dead - 88.9kg) and I felt (and looked) f***ing awful.
After a 7 month detox I weighed in at 11st 8 and felt a lot better, slept better, phys was much easier etc etc etc.

If you sit down and convince yourself that you're OK / muscular / stocky etc etc etc, and don't need to lose weight, then no-one can change that for you. All that I would say is that your Doctor might disagree with you.