Weight for Medical

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by PERCY09, Aug 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How strict are they with this? I am working my balls off but im still quite a bit away from my goal. Do they accept people who are over weight & expect them to lose during their time at HMS Raleigh or what. Obviously a Sumo aint getting in but I was just wondering what the bracket is.
  2. How tall are you? How much do you weigh?
  3. am currently going throu my aplication now , I have lost 2 and 1/2 stone in total but I still need to lose another 9 pounds for the doctor to sign over my medical papers , it all depends on your bmi .
  4. I'm overweight and got in no probs, BMI 26-27.

Depends if you're 'tits' overweight or 'pecs' overweight :lol:
  5. Ok, this is something that's confusing me. I used This BMI calculator and my results came back as 26.1 (Overweight!) but i'm so far from fat it's unreal, had my BF% checked the other day and it's 9.8%. Just wondering why it doesn't take this into account and would i therefore fail the medical for being a 'fatty' or would the medical officer also do a BF% test ...?
  6. The doc will look at you and be able to see that you are not fat and pass you off. Under 10% body fat is good going.
  7. Just from personal experiance - I spent a good deal of time concerned about this before my medical too. I convinced myself I was going to fail as my BMI was at 26ish - but, similar to a good deal of people, it was mainly muscle and very low body fat. However, like too many people, I tried to "self diagnose" from t'interweb.

I went too the medical and passed without question. All he did was measure waist / chest etc.

Now I could have had a doctor with a modicum of common sense and didnt use the BMI scale as gospel, or he was an idiot who didnt know what he was doing. Judging by the medical qualifications as a GP and Surgeon that covered his wall I'm guessing the first, and I thank him for it! So I wouldnt worry too much.