Weekends off navy medic

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by vivienne, Dec 16, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys, not sure if I'm in the right area for this post, but here goes! It's just a question about weekends off.

When you finish your medical exams (Whittington Barracks - Lichfield) do you get a chance to get weekends off? Do you start your ambulance work straight away?

Any info will be received gratefully!:D

Thanks!!

2. Don't think you are in the correct forum.
    This is the RNR hole - we only turn-up at weekends!

I think you probably wanted the Joining-up forum?

May I suggest a Mod thread move?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Once in Phase Two training at DMS and beyond, the odds are you will be free to do as you wish for most weekends - depending on the security state at the time.

Your Tri-service phase two training will be 51 weeks duration and during that period you will undertake a ten week attachment with the West Midlands Ambulance Service, working the same shift patterns during the attachment. Likewise you will also have a ten week clinical attachment at Derriford, Queen Alexandra, or Selly Oak hospitals, again aligning yourself with their shift patterns. This will involve working weekends.

You will also undergo seven weeks single service training to familiarise with the Maritime aspects of your role as a Defence Medic.

Once you finish training, you will usually be drafted to a UK shore establishment working within the unit Medical Centre to complete your taskbook training. After that, sooner or later, you'll be doing the job afloat.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Thank you ever so much guys! It is actually not myself joining the navy - its my other half. Cant really get any info out of him to be honest.. :oops: He has already finished his medical exams and meant to start his ambulance work after Christmas, well i just found out that his first shift will start on this Saturday and just wondering if this will be the case throughout the whole ambulance work.. ?o_O

5. Thank you!

6. Ninja_Stoker

He should be able to tell you the shift patterns once he gets there. They are usually rolling shift patterns so the days worked & the days off will change once a week.

The other thing is that after training, once on a shore base or a ship alongside in UK, he can expect to be required about one weekend a month.

When on a ship, saturdays & sundays are simply day 6 & 7.

7. Thank you so much for all the info.. :rolleyes: So basically you are saying that when he'll be deployed (ship or a shore base) he will be able to get one weekend off every month?
    Also is it possible that his SGT can change his ambulance placement? He has been told that he'll be in a hospital near his house but then apparently they have changed it to Coventry one (living at the barracks) as they don't want him to travel that far (??) o_O

I'm confused...

8. Unless actually at sea and then you can expect to have a modified lazy Sunday routine on a Wednesday, well we did in Ocean, primarily just to confuse the Bootnecks

9. Ninja_Stoker

Not quite. When in UK, he'll be required to work no more than one weekend a month on avaerage.

When on a ship, deployed overseas, saturdays & sundays at sea tend to be no different to any other day of the week. When deployed on a ship overseas, even if you are not working, you won't be coming home apart from scheduled leave periods or for the mid-point leave period during a 9 month deployment.

10. Oh i see... How about spare time while at sea?

Sorry to be a pain...

11. Oh right! Being stupid now..

So the mid-point period is that an actual leave?? So can he ask for a leave or is it just up to his SGTs?

Cheers!!

12. No problem, I was being slightly (but not completely) tongue in cheek. Different branches work different routines at sea, as you can imagine some roles require 24/7 cover even when steaming from A to B, and those shift patterns continue for some even when in port. However your other half is most likely going to operate on a day shift basis (but will still be required to be available 24 hours a day for when sailors manage to injure themselves). Most people (the Captain excluded) tend to get some down time to themselves, how they use that time is up to them, but available leisure activities are somewhat limited

13. Right ok i see..

Did you get any leave at all during the 9 months deployment?

:rolleyes:

14. Ninja_Stoker

If deployed for nine months there is a mid point leave period. Leave= time off.

15. Okay thank you so much :) I've read somewhere that the mid leave its like 2 weeks - is that correct? :rolleyes:

16. Ninja_Stoker

Two weeks sounds about right. Plus the fact most people will also have accrued some of their annual leave allowance which they maybe able to take/add simultaneously.

17. Cheers for that :) One more question... with regards to the ambulance service (medical assistant)- are they allowed to change the place (hospital) to be near their homes?

18. Depending on your branch of course

19. Nope, the mid-deployment leave package is 14 days away from the ship for 10 days leave, with an aspiration for it to actually mean 14 days away from the ship for 14 days leave. You won't be able to add any annual leave entitlement to that, however you can expect to have 2 weeks post-deployment leave in addition to the 3 weeks of annual leave on return from a 9 month trip. There is also 2 weeks pre-deployment leave.

The pre, mid and post-deployment leave (6 weeks in total) is in addition to your annual leave balance.

• Like Like x 1