Weekends/Leave

What sort of leave do you get in compensation for going out to sea?

I know that if you're working on a sub/boat you do 7 days per week, but do you get these days in credit when you get back to shore, or are they just gone?

Do you get any sort of extra leave in compensation for going out to sea?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
There used to be a day's leave accrued for every month away from UK, but not sure if that still happens. Possibly it's just one less flog with the cat o' ninetails for every 30 days at sea.

Often you may well get a week's pre or post deployment leave, at the discretion of the Command but you get about 35 day's paid leave a year and, like all service personnel earn a non-contributory pension and get paid an "extra" (ho-ho) ten percent "X factor", not the one one the telly, the original.

No such thing as weekends at sea as a rule, just day 6 and day 7. But, to be fair, you won't often spend more than three or four consecutive weekends at sea (surface fleet), even when deployed globally.

You get 38 days leave, including Bank Holidays, a year. If you're on a seagoing unit you also get a day for every month you're on there, so potentially up to 50 days leave.
Weekends don't count as leave so, assuming you don't work the weekends either end, 2 weeks leave would use up 10 days of your allowance for example.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Ah yes, boats are different. They're not grey for starters.

You may well do around 9 consecutive weekends on patrol, typically and hopefully our resident sundodgers can confirm this. I reckon you'll only do one patrol in a calendar year, maybe two on alternate years...doubtless someone can confirm or refute.

Ah yes, boats are different. They're not grey for starters.

You may well do around 9 consecutive weekends on patrol, typically and hopefully our resident sundodgers can confirm this. I reckon you'll only do one patrol in a calendar year, maybe two on alternate years...doubtless someone can confirm or refute.
From what I've read about bombers so far, it seems like you do 3 months on, 3 months off, so you'd be at sea for 6 months every year. Is that not right?

It did seem like quite a lot of time to be at sea.

If it's true, that means you'd be working 24 weekends a year at least.

Don't bank on 3 months on, 3 months off on bombers. If they still have them, you could end up on a gold crew boat. If that is the case you just have an enhanced crew and leave 5th watch people onshore on patrol/index. If you are unlucky you can end up doing back to back patrols with minimal time off in between as there is still maintenance, crew training and work up to be completed. If there are gaps in your trained complement then you can expect extra duties or shifts alongside too? (Am I selling this to you yet?)

If you are really, really unlucky you get to be black watch and do all the sea running. However, as you are just joining boats the chances of you being black watch are minimal.

Can anyone confirm if the manning has changed from what I have quoted above? I have been outside for nearly 10 years now.

You've also got something called Core Working Week now which means you can get away for 3 day weekenders when alongside. Even when not working CWW you'll get away at midday on a friday, but optionally you can choose to make up your 4 hours that you'd work on a Friday morning by working an extra hour Monday-Thursday in the evening, allowing you to thin out at 1700 Thursday for the weekend.

You've also got something called Core Working Week now which means you can get away for 3 day weekenders when alongside. Even when not working CWW you'll get away at midday on a friday, but optionally you can choose to make up your 4 hours that you'd work on a Friday morning by working an extra hour Monday-Thursday in the evening, allowing you to thin out at 1700 Thursday for the weekend.
Did that back in the late 80's so nothing new, extenders every weekend not duty.
Plus take all bank holidays, English & Scottish

From what I've read about bombers so far, it seems like you do 3 months on, 3 months off, so you'd be at sea for 6 months every year. Is that not right?

It did seem like quite a lot of time to be at sea.

If it's true, that means you'd be working 24 weekends a year at least.
The patrol cycle boats have 2 crews so alternate patrols. There are 2 boats in the cycle so if both boats have 2 full crews you do one 3 month patrol per year.

SSN's operate fifth watch, if the boat is fully crewed that means you do 3 patrols and left inboard for the fourth one. You could dip in and be 5th watch for 3 months, conversely it could be 3 weeks.

BigD1980

Lantern Swinger
It all depends on what branch you're thinking of joining. My last boat which was a Bomber when it was 2 crew we had that many baby ET (WESM) that even they got patrols off. So in your early career I would'nt worry about time off you will get plenty.

Knotty

Lantern Swinger
What sort of leave do you get in compensation for going out to sea?
Can I ask why you wish to join the RN if you see 'sea time' as something requiring compensation other than the pay and perks on offer with the job, after all I don't believe that there is a WRENS branch any longer?

Bomber crews do not operate 3 months on 3 months off don't believe your AFCO. You will do 1 or 2 patrols a year plus work up. This will depend on your branch ssn and cis ratings beware. boats are ment to have 2 crews but in reality this does not exist due to poor manning. Then you have duties alongside and courses very few submariners use all there leave in a year many have significant leave balances in excess of 50 days. Duties usually take up 2 weekends a month.

if you don't like the idea of sea time and still want to join the RN, then become a WAFU, It's like being a sailor without the sea time.:rolleyes:

edit the mob is just taking one of 2 floating airports, there may be sea time ahead for WAFU's

Last edited:
The patrol cycle boats have 2 crews so alternate patrols. There are 2 boats in the cycle so if both boats have 2 full crews you do one 3 month patrol per year.

SSN's operate fifth watch, if the boat is fully crewed that means you do 3 patrols and left inboard for the fourth one. You could dip in and be 5th watch for 3 months, conversely it could be 3 weeks.
Wrecker,
When I left we were running at least one if not 2 SSBNs on gold crew principles. As NoHope says that is before gaps, training, sickies, etc kick in. As a SR in a watchkeeping position, I had the pleasure of working 3 weeks constant 12 hour night shift on one boat purely so others in the dept could do their mandated training and get a little time off. At the time I would have killed for a 2 crew boat.

BigD1980

Lantern Swinger
Wrecker,
When I left we were running at least one if not 2 SSBNs on gold crew principles. As NoHope says that is before gaps, training, sickies, etc kick in. As a SR in a watchkeeping position, I had the pleasure of working 3 weeks constant 12 hour night shift on one boat purely so others in the dept could do their mandated training and get a little time off. At the time I would have killed for a 2 crew boat.
Is that it 3 weeks 1 in 2 you clearly had a good boat.

Depends on your definition of good. 3 Weeks of doing little more than watchkeep/maintenance and sleep is not in my top 10 of good things. We were still expected to work on after a 12 hr nightshift when we had to do heaves or for the lovely NWI team visit. Perks of being a missile mary I know.

The thing was that it did not matter if you were an ET/LET/POLET or Chief, you still had the same rota and numbers in it.

Even after being out for 10 years, the rose tinted glasses can never get rid of the crap watchkeeping routines we had as middle bit on bombers.