Wedding

3Kittens

Hi there, my fiancee has just started his phase 1 training and we have had our wedding date all booked and paid for for almost a year which is on a weekend just before he is due to finish training. I just wanted to make sure he can come home for this as his AFCO said he was 100% sure he could come but the WO on base said he may not be able to? Its driving me crazy at the thought of potentially having to cancel everything. Would any one be ableto share any knowledge or experience with me?

crash_evans

Lantern Swinger
Hi there, my fiancee has just started his phase 1 training and we have had our wedding date all booked and paid for for almost a year which is on a weekend just before he is due to finish training. I just wanted to make sure he can come home for this as his AFCO said he was 100% sure he could come but the WO on base said he may not be able to? Its driving me crazy at the thought of potentially having to cancel everything. Would any one be ableto share any knowledge or experience with me?
If I am being brutally honest. I think the chance of him being allowed off for the weekend in Phase 1 is unlikely. That said, if I was his DO, in his joining chat I’d have asked him if there was anything I needed to know? Like a, say, wedding and I would have managed his expectations accordingly.

Now, it’s not all doom and gloom. As if he is successful he maybe missing quite a few anniversaries too.

Get him to talk to his DO and go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drakey

War Hero
The weekend prior to passing out is the final exercise. No chance of getting off. Whoever told him that in the AFCO needs their arse kicking

3Kittens

If I am being brutally honest. I think the chance of him being allowed off for the weekend in Phase 1 is unlikely. That said, if I was his DO, in his joining chat I’d have asked him if there was anything I needed to know? Like a, say, wedding and I would have managed his expectations accordingly.

Now, it’s not all doom and gloom. As if he is successful he maybe missing quite a few anniversaries too.

Get him to talk to his DO and go from there.

It definitely feels like doom and gloom from the comments. I know he would miss other things later on but this was something he was told would be fine. What would his options be if they said a definite no?

There is someone joining his group a week late due to injury so could he not potentially go back and re-do a part or get ahead on the work or training?

crash_evans

Lantern Swinger
It definitely feels like doom and gloom from the comments. I know he would miss other things later on but this was something he was told would be fine. What would his options be if they said a definite no?

There is someone joining his group a week late due to injury so could he not potentially go back and re-do a part or get ahead on the work or training?
Without wanting to sound cold, being training extended due to injury is a completely different thing to wanting leave to get married.

I am not familiar with Phase 1 routines, but the training programme is a lot tighter than Phase 2. I’m sure someone who is familiar with RAL will be along to advise you soon.

If he gets told no, then it’s a no. I hope you have some form of insurance..?

pompeyexpat

War Hero
He won't be given the weekend off during Phase 1 to get married. Sorry, but that's a non-negotiable fact. You need to rearrange I'm afraid.

WreckerL

War Hero
@WreckerL what's your memory like?
As Pompeyexpat has said, it's a no. What does puzzle me, knowing when he was joining and the length of the course, working on an assumption he won't get backclassed, the clash of dates has been known well in advance, so why hasn't the wedding been re-arranged or entry deferred?

I appreciate the OP believes the recruiter says it's possible but even so! Best the OP sees the training staff toot suite.