Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Wedding Uniform

He has plenty of medals to pin on if he so chooses...He’s not wet behind the ears with 20+ year’s service...

Unless you’re thinking he may become that pissed of with me bringing this subject up

No disrepect I'm sure; but after 20plus years service he will have Campaign Medals awash. The Veterans Badge will be inconsequential I suggest.
What subject do you teach at Secondary level pray? Not English Language clearly.

No disrepect I'm sure; but after 20plus years service he will have Campaign Medals awash. The Veterans Badge will be inconsequential I suggest.
What subject do you teach at Secondary level pray? Not English Language clearly.
why awash with medals Norman?

Haha, actually yes I am an English Teacher - we make typos too (due to the complete exhaustion felt from the recently departed Y11 darlings) . In fact, I’m sat here marking the Y10 mocks as I type.

He has a few medals in his top drawer. Sad, but that’s where they stay.

Haha, actually yes I am an English Teacher - we make typos too (due to the complete exhaustion felt from the recently departed Y11 darlings) . In fact, I’m sat here marking the Y10 mocks as I type.

He has a few medals in his top drawer. Sad, but that’s where they stay.[/QUOTE
]
Then you will be aware that the predictive adjective is seated.
So you are seated marking the Year 10 mocks as you type. Ambidextrous as well. Phew!

Contemporary linguistic theorists suggest otherwise. Foucault would have a field day discussing this argument. Do not fear, I am fully fluent with our beautiful language; just choose to engage with an extant form daily.

During my PhD I only ever encountered two scholars who chose to identify with historic vernacular - one spoke entirely in the tongue of Chaucer and the other early 20th Century prose. This was Edinburgh, a city steeped in centuries of oral tradition... Times change, as do fashions and with them language use - I suppose this is why we have adjectives such as ‘dickish’ in the OED now!

On another note, uniform or not for my upcoming nuptials?

Contemporary linguistic theorists suggest otherwise. Foucault would have a field day discussing this argument. Do not fear, I am fully fluent with our beautiful language; just choose to engage with an extant form daily.

During my PhD I only ever encountered two scholars who chose to identify with historic vernacular - one spoke entirely in the tongue of Chaucer and the other early 20th Century prose. This was Edinburgh, a city steeped in centuries of oral tradition... Times change, as do fashions and with them language use - I suppose this is why we have adjectives such as ‘dickish’ in the OED now!

On another note, uniform or not for my upcoming nuptials?

It's where you did your Doctorate--Perhaps?
Dickish? an adjective? I'm strugging to think what it can actually mean.
One hopes being "dickish" in no way impairs the wearing of your future husband to be Veterans' Badge or his well earned medals..
May you both enyoy a happy marriage--grammar notwithstanding

Uniform, and ignore Norman/iffy/choose a sockpuppet name. He's the sort of person who writes to Points of View complaining about some trivia he's spotted on the likes of Poldark!

Thanks Wrecker, though I have to admit, it’s a major concern of mine. If he gets through the re-joiner’s medical he’ll obviously spend a lot of time away again... What if he meets a woman with better (gulp) grammar than me? He’s never been that way before and he’s not a young, daft lad, but you know how these things work. Lonely, missing the soft, loving flesh of his beloved, walks into a bar and BANG! Next thing I know her perfect prose is all over him like a rash and he’s smitten. I tell you what, if he brings any new vocabulary home I’ll sniff it a mile off and confiscate the bedroom dictionary in minutes. Generally though he frets about these situations more than I do so probably should just relax. BTW, anybody been through the re-joiner (under 5 year’s, old boy) medical please let me know how stringent the MO was when recruiting for chefs.

Thanks Wrecker, though I have to admit, it’s a major concern of mine. If he gets through the re-joiner’s medical he’ll obviously spend a lot of time away again... What if he meets a woman with better (gulp) grammar than me? He’s never been that way before and he’s not a young, daft lad, but you know how these things work. Lonely, missing the soft, loving flesh of his beloved, walks into a bar and BANG! Next thing I know her perfect prose is all over him like a rash and he’s smitten. I tell you what, if he brings any new vocabulary home I’ll sniff it a mile off and confiscate the bedroom dictionary in minutes. Generally though he frets about these situations more than I do so probably should just relax. BTW, anybody been through the re-joiner (under 5 year’s, old boy) medical please let me know how stringent the MO was when recruiting for chefs.

But whilst he's away you might meet that hunk from Poldark the esoteric ladies perve over.

Carrying on being painfully pedantic--meets a woman with better (gulp) grammar than me? It's arguably --than I .
Every happiness .Am sure things will work out well. As long as it's only vocabulary he brings home

I'm inclined to say:
1. Its your day - why feel embarrassed about anything?
2. Wear what you like - feel comfortable.
3. Having the uniform is an achievement in itself. Nothing to be embarrassed or ashamed about.
4. We all have that 'thing' where we think that we might have done something better and/or achieved more.
5. It doesn't matter what other people think, it's your day, enjoy it.
6. All the nice girls love a sailor...according to the song anyway!
7. Later will you/he be thinking "Oh, I wish I'd worn this/that/flip flops/uniform/baggy trousers etc"

Hope you have a great day - good luck!
@Maeday

I agree with this.
However, not that my opinion counts one jot, what uniform is he entitled to wear - after 20 years initial service is he a SR? If not, then Traditional Square Rig, with a white bow to replace the black on his "jumper" will doubtless be a welcome sight as you cross the dockyard.

I wish you all the best, regardless.
BH

@Maeday

I agree with this.
However, not that my opinion counts one jot, what uniform is he entitled to wear - after 20 years initial service is he a SR? If not, then Traditional Square Rig, with a white bow to replace the black on his "jumper" will doubtless be a welcome sight as you cross the dockyard.

I wish you all the best, regardless.
BH
I don’t think he carries any previous rank over. I believe he maintains his stripes though. I think the sight will be welcomed too, the tourists will love it. Besides, they’ll be too busy admiring my dress (and his mum said he has to)!

Latest Threads