Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Wedding Uniform

Maeday

Midshipman
Hello All,

I hope some of your comments may help me. My partner is re-joining the Royal Navy (pending medical). Long story, basically was in for a relatively long time, left for reasons beyond his control and has an offer under the re-join scheme.

The dilemma is that we marry just after he completes a short period away collecting uniform etc. I am extremely keen for him to tie the knot in uniform; changing into a suit for the reception (although the thought of him in uniform all evening is... ‘very appealing’). He rolls his eyes at this and complains that he will have the piss taken. I think part of the issue is that he is early 40s and doesn’t want to look as though he hasn’t achieved anything in life. He keeps the pay attached to his previous rank, but not the rank itself as far as we are aware. He does keep his long service stripe thingys though. To an outsider he would look as though he was a complete newbie maybe.

Anyway, I don’t want to mess with stuff I don’t understand, but am extremely proud of both him and what the uniform he stands in represents. That being said, I’m a secondary teacher and wouldn’t fancy getting married in the kit I wear to work every day. It’s a registry office do with a blessing at a naval church straight after.

Also, we have to walk a few hundred meters through the dockyard to the church. It’s a Friday and I will be in a wedding dress. I don’t want to embarrass him, is this a normal sight (it’s not a toilet roll holder or anything).

Advice please people...

Given the circumstances its probably best for him to wear a civvy suit for the ceremonies. Maybe a quick change late for a couple of wedding pics in uniform. I can see where he is coming from with this.

Okay, thank you. It’s a shame, but I understand the situation. Last thing I want to do is ruin his day. What about trampling through the camp in a wedding dress? I’m guessing all brides have to get there somehow so they must be used to it.

Perhaps if you tell people which Church/Dockyard you are going to, someone more current than I am will be able to tell you the pros and cons. Whatever you decide I hope that you have a good day.

I'm inclined to say:
1. Its your day - why feel embarrassed about anything?
2. Wear what you like - feel comfortable.
3. Having the uniform is an achievement in itself. Nothing to be embarrassed or ashamed about.
4. We all have that 'thing' where we think that we might have done something better and/or achieved more.
5. It doesn't matter what other people think, it's your day, enjoy it.
6. All the nice girls love a sailor...according to the song anyway!
7. Later will you/he be thinking "Oh, I wish I'd worn this/that/flip flops/uniform/baggy trousers etc"

Hope you have a great day - good luck!

That’s how I feel Polto although I do appreciate all opinions on the matter. Ultimately it’s his decision, but we are marrying in Pompey and are having a blessing at a Naval church so the day is already more than peppered with his career choice. What about trudging through the dockyard in a wedding dress? Have you seen that before or will I look daft? The bloody church is behind the gates so haven’t really got a choice as we can’t necessarily access passes for all the cars as they will be black cabs. The teacher in me is on overdrive and I want to plan to detail...

From someone who traipsed through the dockyard in a wedding dress (albeit on a Saturday rather than a Friday), I think it’ll be fine! I’m assuming you’ll get transport from the registry office to Victory Gate - the one with access to the Naval dockyard from the Historic Dockyard to St Anns? If so the visitors in the historic dockyard will be very interested and will probably stare lots! I think the dockyard let certain taxi firms in? The chaplaincy office should be able to advise you, or feel free to PM me.

This is amazing information Spare...thank you so much. Yes, we have cabs from the registry to VG. Aqua cars (the firm we’re using) have some passes, but probably not for ten - twelve cars plus our wedding car. We meet with the chaplain on Monday (brilliant guy). I know that the other half would happily skip the church, but it feels the right thing to do...not religious, but need that blessing before he buggers off for months on end again. What are your thoughts on the uniform situation? Don’t mind tourists watching - adds to the day, just didn’t want a snigger from any personnel he’ll end up working with. Thanks again.

I doubt very much that you’ll bump into many matelots on a Friday afternoon in that part of the dockyard - you don’t pass any ships and not many people use Victory Gate to commute. It might reassure him to walk the route beforehand perhaps? I’d be like you, and prefer uniform, but I guess it comes down to what he’s going to be comfortable in (physically and figuratively!). Out of interest which branch is he re-joining?

Chef’s. He joined way back as a chef, transferred to MA, but is rejoining under the ‘Street to Fleet’ old people scheme ☺. He had four years outside and got himself a degree, but misses it all. Never seen him so chipper than these last few months getting back in touch with it all. What about you? Wish he would don the uniform, just for the ceremony...

He has plenty of medals to pin on if he so chooses...He’s not wet behind the ears with 20+ year’s service...

Unless you’re thinking he may become that pissed of with me bringing this subject up

Latest Threads