Wedding rings for men

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by toycommandos, Jan 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am due to get married next year and am having a nightmare with my wedding ring. I have never been into jewellery and have never owned or have worn a ring so I have not got the first clue what to get. I have looked at a couple of designs and have concluded that I don’t want Gold and also nothing shiny. I am in the Marines so also require it to be hard wearing (I will be wearing it at all times). What do the great people of this site think the best metal is that I should be looking for? Titanium, Platinum or Palladium?
    Also what are the pros and cons???

Your advice will be gratefully received.
  2. This is mine mate, cheap as chips but (honestly) doesn't look it :)
    A replacement for the £500 lump of crap that was the original ring.
  3. titanium is nice but it can look like a dress ring and therefore like you aren't married.
    I went for gold but thought about a platinum ring with a gold band in the middle. Look for a square or what they call a 'D' shape as it takes the roundness of it.
    As for wearing it all the time, I wouldn't; when I was in at sea I wore it round a chain on my neck and when I was in the field I left it in my grot.
    I also used to take it off when I did phys. Don't get too worked up about leaving it on all the time.
  4. Cheers chaps. Larmi, I did try a ring on in Guz not dis-similar to yours but made from palladium. Not bad.
  5. Personally, I would not wear one, and as a Marine you should not either

Visit any A&E, or google Gloved fingers, maybe ask the sickbay

Gloved oppo's one "walking" along the path and caught ring finger on the jubilee clip that holds the gash bin, result no ring finger left hand

Another, jumped down from top bunk, left ring and finger behind on mattress spring
    They were just everyday living (agreed over a two year period) now action and training brings in a whole new ball game You may be one of the thousands of lucky ones, I put mine on my tags after the third epidsode
    still got it still married ;-)
  6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Show me your ring and I'll show you mine... :wink:
  7. Plain ring worn on leave and in shore jobs only. Removed in sea drafts and visiting boats. IMHO a simple risk assessments shows it's not worth wearing it onboard.
  8. I was given a ring by my parents for my 21st. Looked great and I wore it all the time, until I slipped on a ladder climbing out of a buccaneer. I was left hanging from the ladder by my not that ring. Bloody hurt and so ring removed and to this day have never worn another.
    Dangerous things rings....................Make up your own mind which ones.
  9. This is what can happen to you if you wear a ring.

10. Just be careful with it my husbands engagement ring was stolen while at Raliegh

We went for plain and tight fitting, less chance of catching it and it coming off when wet.

Good luck with your wedding btw
  11. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Just after getting married I wore my wedding ring all the time, until diving off the klaxon I slipped in the conning tower and caught the ring as I went through at ever increasing speed, nasty cut but could have been worse, never wore the ring again and still don't unless out socially. Dangerous things
  12. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I never wore one, imagine getting it caught in an underslung load from a helo......your finger wont win when the helo moves off.

Congrats on getting married.
  13. Just to be the odd one out it was a ring that actually saved three of my fingers right hand. I fell down a ladder into the messdeck below bringing a plywood hatch down on my hand at the same time. Needless to say when the back of my hand hit the hatch combing and the palm the plywood hatch my hand started losing by degloving the back of my hand, once the metal ring made contact it forced the screws out of the plywood thus preventing any further loss of skin and keeping the rest attached so that it could be pulled back and stitched back together once airlifted off and arriving in hospital. So unlike most, yes I always wore a ring after that and always will.
  14. Nice one on getting married ;)

I would say titanium if anything, really strong metal, but from the stories above you might want to value your finger more than a ring?

I did hear about a friend of my family getting a ring tatooed onto his finger, just like a band, because he worked somewhere where the ring could get caught on nets and pulled off.

Might be an idea?

A little extreme though =D
  15. Here goes.... unobtrusive... no problems with gloves and can be worn at all times... oooer, except when sunbathing nude or taking a hot bath.... OUCH!

And it will prevent you from de-gloving your pride and joy when you slip down a hatchway ladder whilst pissed. ;)

And this one designed for engineers/artificers....

Now Sarge.... let's see yours! :biggrin:
  16. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

OOOOOHHH, that jewish man has decided not to have gold teeth then... :pale:
  17. Had a casing plate drop on my fingers, the strengthening bar on it bent the ring hard into my finger and it had to be cut off but it saved my fingers.

Going down the fridge machinery space the boat rolled and I got the ring caught on 29 b`h door and took a chunk of skin off my finger. After that I kept it covered with maskers. So it can work both ways
  18. Think my story and wedding ring is the same as quiet a few others
    caught it on a hatch and ended up suspended --luckily it it was only momentarily -managed to regain my footing. Ring was totally fugged!!

My new ring was more expensive --pure gold and I looked after it
    however it was too soft for normal day to day wear . So it stayed in a jewellery box with the Wife's rings. Worn on dressy occasions only.

:nemo: :nemo:
  19. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Well, you did ask:

20. Thanks for your kind words. What are the pros and cons of the different metals??