Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Website Name Why??

It's obviously a different Navy than the Navy I knew..which means different Navy different Cap Tallies...that is if Cap Tallies are in use anymore.
Over the years the Navy changed things drastically as and when required or else all you "young youths" would still be serving on Wooden Ships and firing cannon balls instead of missiles.....OK OK OK keep the name Rum Ration as long as I can "Come Round" for Sippers, (sorry the young bloods won't remember sayings like that)...only the OLD RUM RATS like me. Ships don't smell the same below decks I bet..now that there is no more RUM RATION...there was always a magnetic aroma below decks especially near the Rum Store that made you want to stand there and sniff and sniff and sniff and look forward to the "UP SPIRITS" pipe...I know.... I was that matelot......

And there's more....... :D 8)

sadly the tot had gone when I arrived in the RN but tradition being tradition my first 'wet' was a sipppers of Woods and there has been no looking back.
the three cans, per day, per haps also had its uses and many a matelot entered the world of banking through counting cans owed, stashed, and drank ;)

now however I am a drydrunk but still have a memory :D

Jamie said:
It's obviously a different Navy than the Navy I knew..which means different Navy different Cap Tallies...that is if Cap Tallies are in use anymore.
Over the years the Navy changed things drastically as and when required or else all you "young youths" would still be serving on Wooden Ships and firing cannon balls instead of missiles.....OK OK OK keep the name Rum Ration as long as I can "Come Round" for Sippers, (sorry the young bloods won't remember sayings like that)...only the OLD RUM RATS like me. Ships don't smell the same below decks I bet..now that there is no more RUM RATION...there was always a magnetic aroma below decks especially near the Rum Store that made you want to stand there and sniff and sniff and sniff and look forward to the "UP SPIRITS" pipe...I know.... I was that matelot......

"old on, ain't HMS Victory still counted as part of the Fleet?

Jamie said:

1) 'Sippers' is still use by a fair few
2) They stand around the 'beer fridge
3)Still have a wooden ship, Victory
4) SHips smell like a pigs den around the lads mess at night :wink:
5) Alot of old saying are still used

Jenny D

I know we still have a Wooden Ship the Victory but no-one goes to sea on it, it is a Monument to a Monumental Sea Battle AND there is the oldest Wooden Ship afloat...the Frigate "Unicorn" up in Dundee another museum ship.
What's this about the lad's mess smelling like a pigs den....you've been snooping again.....Anyway when I was at sea..the messdecks at night smelled of Heavenly Fou-Fou Powders, each man to his own select brand, and fresh Dhobey Dust smells. We were a clean lot..well... on board at least.

We even had a ship's Magazine with a regular weekly feature called 'Bath Night with Basil' by the Fou Fou expert!!!! Clean fun!!!

We forgot to send a Magazine to the Chinese Laundrymen's quarters and the rotten sods sewed the peeholes up in our panties and we wet our Nickers next day trying to get our tackle out..LOL

Do you still use words like the ORLOP..the SCOTSMAN..the TILLER FLAT...
the TRUCK....No 8's...No 3's..No 1's for the various uniform rigs etc...

:) :)

deisel

I am so dyed in the wool Naval that I have my bathroom painted with Ship's Side's Grey and Black to remind me of all my years sailing the Oceans.

Now there's a thing.. Do ratings still have to sew on their own badges or are they issued with the state of the art badges with the peel-off back and sticky goo side that you iron on...??????

Jamie said:
Jenny D

I know we still have a Wooden Ship the Victory but no-one goes to sea on it, it is a Monument to a Monumental Sea Battle AND there is the oldest Wooden Ship afloat...the Frigate "Unicorn" up in Dundee another museum ship.

Excuse me Jamie, but in an emergency, we might actually need to use both Victory and Unicorn again, especially as they don't need any oil to run them! :wink: :lol: :roll: Given the choice I'd opt for the Unicorn, especially as I donated towards its restoration yonks ago - got no acknowledgement though - I remember that, probably because I am from the West Country - it's not my fault I was born a yokel! :lol: (that was maybe 20 years ago? - when the first appeal went out) but have never got around to visiting it to see what it looks like now! :oops:

Long live wooden walled ships! Environmentally friendly, cosy, recyclable and a lot cheaper than a modern warship!

Jamie said:
deisel

I am so dyed in the wool Naval that I have my bathroom painted with Ship's Side's Grey and Black to remind me of all my years sailing the Oceans.

Now there's a thing.. Do ratings still have to sew on their own badges or are they issued with the state of the art badges with the peel-off back and sticky goo side that you iron on...??????

I've never seen iron on button's before.

Always a Civvy

Good for you donating to the preservation of the Unicorn..Yes she is still there in Dundee....You didn't get an acknowledgement for your donation mate because they are funny buggers up in Dundee..and most of them can't read or write...they only speak Jockanese with a funny lilting accent...ken whit a mean man aye !!!!!!!!!

Deisel
For Goodness sake who the hell mentioned Buttons..I thought he was a pantomime character..it was BADGERS (I mean BADGES) that I was on about..Jings.......I'll be round tomorrow Tot Time............

:lol: :lol: 8)

Latest Threads