Webley a touch of nostalgia

Maybe the wrong forum but last week a PC friend took me in the Station whilst he checked the weapons wherever they keep them[I wasn't allowed to know!] but he knew I used to like Pistol Shooting before the crazies reared their twisted head and that I'd been in the Mob as a GA2.
Out he brought the two Webleys MK V1 and No 2.[MK1 .380]
I used to have a MK1 and I thought it was vastly under rated with it's tactile and chiseled lines.
OK! I know accuracy was a bit suspect[although I once amazed everyone, including my self, when I came 3rd in a Pistol comp, a fluke if ever there was one] but it's stopping power was good so they said.
I just thought we produced a good'un there and I know a lot went to The Dominions including Canada with the Colt on the doorstop! but I guess it was Service Mandatory.
I fired the MK1 [.455] at Tipnor a few times but where the rounds went I have no idea!
Some kick on that thing!
Remember it?

The only pistol for the discerning officer to lock himself in his room (with a bottle of single malt) and do the honourable thing, after being caught with his fingers in the mess funds.. :)

Seafarer
Interestingly (for geeks only perhaps) but Webley also made a semi-automatic .455 pistol for the Royal Navy and Marines. The cartridges were essentially the same, but the one designed for the Mk1, when fired in the semi-automatic would blow it to buggery. Here's a link for geeks:
Arnhem Jim: The Other Webley - Limited Standard Semi-Automatic Pistol of the Royal Navy & Marines
Cheers for that!Didn't know about that,not surprised as it looks a bit B&Q! although it seems to have,like the 1911A .45 the USA Standard, a butt safety which is a good thing.
I seem to remember there was a self cocking revolver .45 British made,can't think of the name but although it worked,mud and dirt clogged up the outside grooves defeating the action.
A bit basic thinking really was needed there,but I've never seen one

The semi auto webley was called a webley Fosberry . The revolving chambers had a groove in them and the barrel was on a slide when you fired /shot/ with it the barrel did a move to the rear and rotated the chambers to the next round it also cocked the hammer/firing pin.

Its a collectors item -don't think many were made .

Semi Auto was by the Colt 1911 or some of the Browning pistols in the early days . Mauser had a 7.65 or 9mm pistol
Most being operated by the long slide doing eject-re-cock reload cyclic action magazine in the butt

Only other type was a Luger --they had a Toggle action but same operation cycle .

Fired them all--and I still think the old US Colt .45 1911 A1 was the best .
Browning Hi-power was OK 9mm with a 13 round magazine in the butt!
Webley revolver .38 was Ok but it was better shot two handed !! In the old days you had to shoot it with one hand!

G

It's a matter of preference I reckon,The Pilots on the Vic carried the Browning and just about everyone else including the SF and I serviced those on the Vic for a while,although I notice now even the USA Police use a Beretta which seem to be,apart from the Sig,the best gun going.
Bit of a slap in the face for the Yanks with all their gun history Colt,Remmington etc to use an Italian gun for the Police although I seem to remember Smith and Wesson was owned by a British firm!
I won't mention the French pistols! At Whale Island I spent a fair bit of time at the Guns locker and down at Tipnor either watching them fired or firing myself.
Worst was the French Lebel[I think] and Russian Tok followed by the Spanish Star a copy of the USA.45.
I'm dragging up some memories here and I may be wrong on some things but I do remember the P1 that German Officers used in the War[not the Luger!] as a fine weapon.
Unless I go abroad I don't think I'll ever pistol shoot again.Shame I did enjoy it especially the Black Powder shoots.

C

cúnt

Seafarer, you can still shoot black powder pistol in the UK. A local shooting range should be able to set-up an instructor and let you rip on a black-powder colt revolver, or it's ilk.

webley a touch of nostalgia

SF 139 I remember the range at Tipner--was at Whale island for a while and Vernon doing courses.
Anyway the armoury at Tipner was a shootists dream.
It must have had every rifle/pistol ever made the police used to give the RN all the surrendered ''bring backs '' if they were historic or
collectable. Amazing place.

I was in the Saturday/wednesday shooting on the range with a No 4 Lee enfield it was a sort of personal issue--once zeroed it was very accurate .
The old .303 warhorse great rifle .

Black powder is good fun shooting -used to have a Colt Navy 1851 .36 -italian reproduction --was at Bisley with that .
Happy days
G

Thanks at the moment and just with a quick search the nearest is the Otterburn range 50 miles away! I gave up rifle shooting because I didn't want to travel that far and I need weekends free to look after my wife.
There will be a one nearer as the Police will need to train locally,I'll see if I can weedle my way in there if Poss.
Thanks for the offer. Cheers.
Greenie! Tipnor armoury was awesome and I spent most of my Whale Island time there,when the GI was in a good mood[sometimes!] and with a packet of Blue liners on the table I managed to shoot quite a few of the ones he did.
I didn't smoke but drew my BL as it was amazing what you could get for the coupons!
That GI had a wonderful accident when I was there he was showing recruits how clever he was at loosing off a single round from the Lanchester,a donkey if there ever was one.
He loosed one off but it must have hit some materiel as it richoched[spell checker not picking this up!] and carved an Errol Flynn mustache along his upper lip!
Oh! how we larfed!